Brake pads ?

Thanks guyz, now I am thorougly confused ...:laugh:

I put SS lines on my Gen 1 and it made a big improvement over stock, I then got a set of EBC HH pads and that too was a noticable improvement.

I never had an issue with the stock rotors and EBC pads on 2 different Gen 1's. So I guess I will go that route again.

What I want to know is:

1. Approx how many miles do a set of stock pads last (with moderate riding to include trackdays) or how long before I need to start looking at them, and

2) How can I tell when the stock pads need replacing (before sparks start flying out of them)...

You AINTGONNA warp your rotors with aftermarket pads! NEVER - EVER! :beerchug:

I think I did.

Ran EBC HH type, after... three or four track days and some two up riding the stock rotors warped, did it to two sets.

Now I cant say for sure that the pads warped the rotors but that is what I attribute the warping to.

Got ANOTHER set of stock rotors, and installed stock Suzy pads, no probs since.

Would it not stand to reason that a pad that generates more friction / heat than stock pads do would not place the rotors under more stress / heat hence creating a condition beyond what they were engineered to endure?

1. Approx how many miles do a set of stock pads last (with moderate riding to include trackdays) or how long before I need to start looking at them, and

There is a really wide margin in the answer to that question. I get about 5K - 7K miles from stock pads. Some may get tens of thousands of miles from the same pads. Depends totally on the operator.

2) How can I tell when the stock pads need replacing (before sparks start flying out of them)...

You take a peek at the visible portion of the pad and you'll see a groove. When that groove is worn down to barely visible, you are ready for new pads. Uaually one side of the pad will wear faster than the other.

Anyway you cheap bastid, are you trying to save coffee money by extending your OEM pads an extra few miles? :poke:

I think I did.

Ran EBC HH type, after... three or four track days and some two up riding the stock rotors warped, did it to two sets.

Now I cant say for sure that the pads warped the rotors but that is what I attribute the warping to.

Got ANOTHER set of stock rotors, and installed stock Suzy pads, no probs since.

Would it not stand to reason that a pad that generates more friction / heat than stock pads do would not place the rotors under more stress / heat hence creating a condition beyond what they were engineered to endure?

There is no way of knowing for sure why your rotors warped. I have never had a rotor warp and none of our race bikes that get heat treated to the point of almost glowing in the dark on every race has ever had a warped rotor without a crash being invlolved.

With Street use, I don't think it makes a hill of beans difference what pads you use, you'll never heat your rotor to the point of distortion. If you are heating your rotors to the point of distortion, I'd guess the rotor is way past the ware point of replacement and no longer has the mass to efficeintly disipate heat.

I have had problems with the buttons that float the rotor. I've had a total of four rotors fookered up in this manner.

Just my Opinion by the way. :beerchug:

I ran EBC HH sintered pads on my GenI with no issues to report. I didn't have enough ride time with the stockers to really give a detailed comparison but I did prefer the EBC's over the stock pads...

3 weeks and 1500 miles ago I installed some Vesrah RJL pads and Driven rotors from motosport, and I am more than pleased with the braking performance

driven11.jpg

Last edited:
Back