Bov????

09vmax

Registered
Hey guys,
I'm new to the world of turbos and wanting to put on my '06. Quick ? How many of you guys running stage I kits are putting the BOV on your setup? I spoke with Frank at Powerhouse and he recommended. He was very informative and helpful. Just hard to swallow an extra $400 for the BOV. Any thoughts.

Franks word is the gospel on turbo bikes, he knows his stuff and he's more than happy to have others benefit from his knowledge. He says get, get it. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't spend $400 on a BOV. I bought my HKS SSQV III new for $80. Its pretty loud too. If you fast forward my vid to 4:05 you can hear it (sounds better in person/on the bike.)

Turbo Hayabusa Acceleration - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
The Tial 44mm blow off valve is the most-requested RCC turbo kit option. This option is $395 installed - $100 of that is the welding and polishing of the BOV flange on the up pipe between the turbo and plenum. The Tial has a bigger valve than the HKS and is of much better quality. ALL the components in an RCC turbo system are quality, that is why RCC can warranty the kit for two years after purchase. The choice is yours - having anything is better than nothing, so you can always buy your own and add it later. And for me, it is not about the noise my turbos make when I chop throttle, it is about the noise they make when my throttle is wide open . . .:race:

The Tial 44mm blow off valve is the most-requested RCC turbo kit option. This option is $395 installed - $100 of that is the welding and polishing of the BOV flange on the up pipe between the turbo and plenum. The Tial has a bigger valve than the HKS and is of much better quality. ALL the components in an RCC turbo system are quality, that is why RCC can warranty the kit for two years after purchase. The choice is yours - having anything is better than nothing, so you can always buy your own and add it later. And for me, it is not about the noise my turbos make when I chop throttle, it is about the noise they make when my throttle is wide open . . .:race:

I totally agree that function should come before sound. I didn't know that HKS was a bad BOV, I will need to consider changing it out. Just curious Frank, my warranty is already expired so this question is just out of curiosity, but would the HKS bov void the 2 year warranty? I thought a bov was an extra with the kit.

Watch out buying hks bovs because theres alot of knockoffs out there..i dont even think u can buy them in the usa anymore..because of all the knockoffs failing. So hks pulled all there stock..i had a really hard time finding one a year ago and it was 320 or so...

I totally agree that function should come before sound. I didn't know that HKS was a bad BOV, I will need to consider changing it out. Just curious Frank, my warranty is already expired so this question is just out of curiosity, but would the HKS bov void the 2 year warranty? I thought a bov was an extra with the kit.

Watch out buying hks bovs because theres alot of knockoffs out there..i dont even think u can buy them in the usa anymore..because of all the knockoffs failing. So hks pulled all there stock..i had a really hard time finding one a year ago and it was 320 or so...

I never said that HKS was bad, what I said was that IMO Tial is better, and that is why RCC uses them. As far as warranties are concerned, any additional fabrication or changes you make to an existing RCC turbo system can potentially void any warranty. I'm not saying it will, I am saying it might. A malfunctioning BOV certainly would not cause a head pipe to crack, but its possible it could adversely affect the turbo itself, for instance. But then again, so can a bad install. Warranty decisions would be determined by Richard himself, and I can tell you that situation is very rare when it comes to RCC products. When you make an investment like a turbo kit, it is better to know the best of everything went into it and the manufacturer stands behind it.

:banana:

The Blow off valve would not void warranty, but if the blow off valve causes damage there would be no warranty. Such as the blow off valve stick open, or partially sticks open, the turbo over spools to make up for the leak and prematurely burns the bushings out. The warranty only covers defects in the turbo kit parts, it does not cover damage done to the parts by another cause. Also as Freechance stated, for $80 its highly doubtful you have an HKS BOV, they are typically sold for over $300. Most likely you have a knockoff, while they look very similar from the outside, the inside components are typically no where near the quality that the originals are, all lot of the knock off stuff is made to look like the originals, but they companies making them usually have no clue as to the actually use of the part, or what the part needs to do.

Richard

what spring should be in the tial Q BOV on these bikes trying to verify that the right one is installed in the one that some had a car shop add to his plenum.

ok... so without reading ALLL the threads on blow off valves.. I have a 2011 Mitsubishi lancer Evo x MR,. I have also had quite a few other turbo'd cars... my last one being a complete home built project protege 5 dual boost. (supercharged and turbo'd ) with that being said I have been through a BUNCH of blow off valves... here are some things to consider..
#1 MONEY
#2 Boost
#3 Sound
#4 Kits

NAME BRAND DOES NOT MATTER... functionality does... when it comes to name brand.. I have been through TurboXS (turbonetics ) Tail, Synchronic, Greddy HKS, Forge, AND Mitsubishi stock.

#1. MONEY
Lets talk money… ask your self.. ( don’t have to answer here.. its none of no ones business but your own..) do you have the money to replace your motor if you blow it due to cheap parts made in china, or a part failure because it wasn’t properly installed.. i.e. cheap BOV and metals break off.. enter the motor and well there is damage after that, similar things with a cheap turbo blades breaking off and going into the motor. i.e. china turbo )
IF you cant afford the cost of a $400.00 blow off valve… you might not want to consider putting a turbo on your bike just yet.. You need to see if you can REALLY afford to do this. Building a boosted bike or just putting a turbo on a bike is expensive. Getting QUALITY parts is a pain at first but it is worth it in the long run. When applying something that is going to give the bike OR car more power then what it was intended for will decrease the longevity unless properly maintained. This is not to say that a boosted bike can’t last a long time because they can and do, IF properly maintained.

#2 Boosts
Boost is important because at 8psi on a gt25 is not going to be the same as 8psi on a gt30, never the less it is still a decent amount of pressure, and will give you lots of fun. When choosing a blow off valve.. IF it comes in a kit.. Like RCC turbo’s kit… it is covered under a warranty. Not partially.. but completely ( depending on what their warranty says) it is also recommended and tested.. with RCC for example has been dyno tested, dyno and track proven not just by RCC, but by the installers, and riders.

#3 Sound
Some people prefer HKS sound of a screaming pssshhhhhh sound.. ( see you tube turbo supra HKS blow off valve.. you will find LOTS.. )
Others prefer Greddy sounds, ( the sound can be changed on a greddy by changing the trumpet on the front between super loud, and not so loud the difference is the holes in the horn that allow more air to flow through it.. similar to a air blower that you hook up to a air compressor )
Again I prefer my Synaptic BOV, because of its quickness to react, however that is in a car and it matters there where as to on a bike it isn’t as much.. the onset of boost is A LOT different than in a car ( the feeling and the being on the throttle. i.e. in a car I can flat foot shift and not have to worry about raising the front end up from tq and boost.
#4 reputable seller
If you don’t listen to anything I have said above, ATLEAST listen to this part..
DON’T BUY KNOCK OFF PARTS, they are bad for the engine, can potentially be a ticking problem waiting to happen. Or worse it works great for a while and starts to slowly fail and you have to spend money again that you could have spent if you just went right the first time..

Kits… Most Reputable sellers on the forums Like Frank @ power house, sell kits.. They’re backed with Warranty’s for a reason… 

Good luck with boosting your bike. Feel free to contact me if you need help.

If $400 is gonna put your turbo aspirations on hold perhaps the world of turbo busas arent for you.....:whistle:

Back