Bound to happen

BusaBret

Almost......
Donating Member
Registered
After 3 years of 87 octane only and now needing higher I just put 3.2 gallons of 87 in my 09. Not thinking just pumping away. The wifey hollered stop that is the wrong gas.

Question: Will this one time hurt or do I need to pump/drain the tank???

Personally if the bike really calls for higher octane I would pump it and turn it into lawn mower gas. But thats just me

i don't think it will hurt. your bike has higher compression than the gen ones which is what requires the higher octane. please correct me if i am wrong. they make that octane boost that may be a ez fix but i am not even sure if that stuff works. someone else will chime in soon with more and better nfo i am sure

naw, jus stay off the full throttle at lower rpm's.. would not even worry about

if ya hear any rattle (ping etc) just back off the wrist..

naw, jus stay off the full throttle at lower rpm's.. would not even worry about

if ya hear any rattle (ping etc) just back off the wrist..

That is what I figured. Tank was not empty still at about 1/4 tank. Just stopped to top off on the way home.

But then again was going to have to get grass cutting petro in the am. May pump out most of it for the Deere and go top off again with the good stuff.

Thanks for the quick replies fellows:thumbsup:

you can always go to any parts house and get a can of octain boost drop some in and fogiddaboutit.:thumbsup:

As stated stay off the throttle. Keep it to half throttle or less until you run that gas out. Even if you don't any pinging doesn't mean it's not happening. So go easy on her for now and all will be good.

1 tank won't hurt anything, just don't ride it hard and next time use the right fuel :poke:

justa lil octane boost, and you will be fine. if it sounds like your mechanic left a can of wrenches in there on hard acceleration, you need more octane. (you shouldn't need a whole bottle of the stuff) as the saying goes, "a lil dab'll do ya".

Skip the octane boost. As several have said, keep the power low at low RPMs and back off your wrist if you hear any pinging (sounds like the balls shaking a can of spray paint). Add high octane gas as soon as possible. No big deal.

Last edited:
Forget the octane booster--It doesnt work. When the can says it will raise octane 3 points you get 87.3 not 90. If you need to boost the octane add a little xylene. 1 gal of xylene to 4 gal of 93 makes about 100 octane. And remember, just because you dont hear detonation doesnt mean its not happening!

Oh man, that sucks. I've caught myself reaching for the 87 on more than one occasion. Although several Gen II owners have run lower octane gas without any noticeable issues, I for one would have to say it would be best to pump out as much of it as you can, and then fill up with some 93. To be perfectly honest, if it were my bike, that is exactly what I would do.

Good luck man.
D

Back