Bottle heater/auto pressure??

8secBusa

Registered
Just a bit curious, do they make a bottle heater/pressure gauge that are linked so the heater will turn off before the bottle detonates?
I was at the track last year where a guy left his bottle heater on and it blew out the high pressure valve..

Yes, there are both pressure and thermostatic controlled heaters out there.

It has become enough of an issue that NHRA (and IHRA I think) is requiring that blow off valves/burst caps are installed on the cars and vented outside.

As usual the Prof is correct. That is the only kind of heater we use, pressure sensing, that is.We set system supply bottle to 1050lbs, then purge it down to 1025-1020 at prestage. We set the "pusher" bottle to 1150, through a regulator,(set at 1025) into the supply bottle.Automatic heaters, They are great, but always check them from time to time also. I've seen the relays stick, and it really sucks when they do, if you don't catch it. And yes, we have to run a blow-off tube outside the pass compartment of our Camaro per NHRA/IHRA rules.

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=43

is one I have used
I found it would turn the heater off at the perset amout
BUT...it would allow the bottle to cool too much before turning it back on
I would set it at 1000psi and it would turn the heater off at 1,000psi
but then the heater would not turn back on till the pressure had dropped ~150-250psi under the set point
so If I caught it right before it was supposed to turn back on the pressure would be low

I have had similar problems with most auto bottle heaters in the past. I use only NX auto bottle heaters now for the last few years and have had NO problems.They carry about a 25lb off/on window.

Back