boots: Puma 1K v2 or A-stars S-MX +

I have the Sidi boots also, Great boot, But Alpinstars make Great boots also, Never tried Pumas..

cheferman65, Thanks for the heads up on the Vortices. That is a $475 boot on sale for $325(with shipping)! ....And I was even looking for a white boot!

The Vortice looks pretty comparable to the S-MX in terms of protection. The Vortice is touted as a very lightweight boot and it is about as adjustable for leg/foot size as any boot you are going to find. Every part is replaceable -- REPLACEABLE SOLES! The drawback is that the Vortices require a complex procedure every time you put them on and take them off. I was planning on track and sport riding use so the on off ritual shouldn't be a problem.

I still like the styling of the white A* S-MX the best but a $475 boot for on sale $50 less than the S-MX is winning me over.

I think the Puma's Ghost Doctor ankle brace will offer the ultimate in ankle protection. Have not seen any statistics on ankle hyperextension/flexion injuries in cycle crashes. Is that type of injury really all that common? Lateral crush/abrasion or heal/toe slam would seem most likely injury.

Thanks, everyone. Still grateful to hear any boot opinions, too.

Last edited:
Those are nice. Looks like a similar set up to Puma's Ghost Doctor brace. Prolly a great all around boot but they seem a little lower on the shin than what I'm looking for though.

Back