Boost by smith Gen 3 experience

Bluesun

Registered
Hey all!

Just wanted to share my experience with the Boost by Smith Gen 3 MaxxECU setup on my RCC stage 2 turbo build, and my experiences dealing with Greg Smith.

Even before I got the bike, Greg reached out to see if I had any questions, and offer up some information on what the setup was capable of. After picking up the bike, he checked up to see how things were going and again offer to answer any questions I had. Very generous with his time, and just the nicest guy overall.

The MaxxECU setup in general is awesome. Cruise works great, rolling anti-lag is fun as hell. Boost tables are configurable so many different ways, as are the quickshifter, safety limits, all sorts of things. If you're into this sort of thing, it's a real rabbit hole to go down. Greg has clearly put in a ton of work to get everything working well.

All in all I couldn't recommend the MaxxECU or Boost by Smith's configuration more. Would most certainly go with it a second time around, and I'm super happy Richard went this route.

Thanks Greg!

General driveability is perfectly fine. Starting is *mostly* fine, call it 95% of stock. Sometimes it doesn't fully fire up the first couple of cranks, but I have this same experience with my turbo Harley (that thing is a pain to start when it's cold). I've been strictly on E85 lately (:-D) and it does seem more liable to want to stall when it's simultaneously cold out, and a cold start. But this isn't a turbo busa problem so much as a tuned E85 problem (my E85 turbo cars in the past did the same).

Nothing to do with Greg (and I'm positive he'd help me with it if I asked), but I am trying to figure out what I need to do to improve the "barely on and off" throttle response. The bike just jerks around a little bit, but I've had this experience with every tuned bike ever. Excited that I can do something about it with the Maxx though (because it's so configurable).

Neglected to mention above, Greg spent a lot of time with me going back and forth, even on weekends, to help me figure out minor issues and improve my setup. Really stand up guy.

To add to the above: may not be a surprise to others, but with the turbo that's on it, outside of boost it feels pretty close to stock. I have been dailying it around since getting it back.

Also another note re: configurability of the Maxx and Greg's expertise with it -- with Greg's help, I have the `PW` modes 1-3 tied to different boost maps, so for instance PW mode 3 is basically "low boost" across the board (for when I ride around with my wife, 4 psi in 1-6), and PW mode 1 is "highest boost I can ride out a wheelie with in each gear".

Then on top of that, the boost table has a "4D" axis of Ethanol %, the boost goes up the more ethanol that's in the tank, maxxing out at 85%.

I could go on about this for forever, but the possibilities really are endless. And none of it would be possible without Greg's amazing work integrating it into the Gen 3's electronics (and configuring it for the bike generally).

General driveability is perfectly fine. Starting is *mostly* fine, call it 95% of stock. Sometimes it doesn't fully fire up the first couple of cranks, but I have this same experience with my turbo Harley (that thing is a pain to start when it's cold). I've been strictly on E85 lately (:-D) and it does seem more liable to want to stall when it's simultaneously cold out, and a cold start. But this isn't a turbo busa problem so much as a tuned E85 problem (my E85 turbo cars in the past did the same).

Nothing to do with Greg (and I'm positive he'd help me with it if I asked), but I am trying to figure out what I need to do to improve the "barely on and off" throttle response. The bike just jerks around a little bit, but I've had this experience with every tuned bike ever. Excited that I can do something about it with the Maxx though (because it's so configurable).

Neglected to mention above, Greg spent a lot of time with me going back and forth, even on weekends, to help me figure out minor issues and improve my setup. Really stand up guy.
Hi. In my bike I have heaters in the oil pan as I will be using VP M1. I was told to do so by Eric at DAS as he runs a bike in XDA Pro Street class. And there I'd nothing wrong with starting a bike with warm oil in it.

Reactions: pcs

For throttle response stuff, take a look under fuel, then overrun, if its enabled, give it a try with it off. Also, for cold start, we can try adding or taking away some of the cranking fuel and or adjust the amount of throttle opening during cranking to get that cleaned up :)

Back