Body Builder Vs. Gymnast..... Interesting!

GNBRETT

Registered
this video imo really demonstrates why gymnasts are so strong and have such large upper body strength and muscle size. its the combination of having to use multiple muscles to perform an exercise. essentially haven to use stabilizer muscles which if u know anything about weight lifting u know exercises like dips and pull-ups are usually far superior to bench press, curls etc...

you see how difficult some of the exercise were for the body builder who obviously is very strong individual. of course he weighs a lot more too which makes some of the exercises performed more difficult no doubt.

there is always the great debate on how it is gymnasts can have such large biceps, triceps, shoulders, backs, forearms etc... wen in body building its usually recommended to do biceps once a week. I guess its a lot of indirect stimulation they give their muscles. and most of em don't really eat all that great either and very very few of them if any on a competitive level use steroids but yet some have body builder traits that a lot body builders are surely envious of.

this guy is a gymnast but not a hardcore one. he is a well know gymnast trainer.

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been a lot of debate and comparisons. They are widely considered the greatest athlete of all. It has been said that if you took 100 athletes from a 100 different sports and had them all compete in eachothers sports that the gymnast would be able 2 perform the best overall by leaps and bounds. Based of the qualities that their sport demands. Speed, Strength,Agility,Balance,Power, and the list goes on....:whistle:

Yep, I have rings, a Bowflex Revolution, free weights and bench, and a 100 lb heavy bag and a speedbag.
The variety is what makes for the best workouts. It also keeps muscles growing faster, as opposed to doing the same old over and over. I'm no gymnast either, but have tremendous respect for their abilities.
Cool video.

GNBRETT...my son-n-law was an Olympic gymnast.....he started at the age of 3 or 4 up through his 20's (now 37) he had no childhood cause of his training.He was toned as he grew into a an adult....can't really compare..bodybuilding too much bulk (unless that's what ya want)...gymnast needs strength and flexibility and have strength none of us normal people know about :laugh:

yea basically is what the video indicates is even a seasoned holy builder can't do the exercises these gymnasts can do cause obviously its more then strength to accomplish wat they do. but, I'm sure a gymnast cudnt do wat a body builder does either. the training routine of a gymnast is incredible!

GNBRETT...my son-n-law was an Olympic gymnast.....he started at the age of 3 or 4 up through his 20's (now 37) he had no childhood cause of his training.He was toned as he grew into a an adult....can't really compare..bodybuilding too much bulk (unless that's what ya want)...gymnast needs strength and flexibility and have strength none of us normal people know about :laugh:

yea basically is what the video indicates is even a seasoned holy builder can't do the exercises these gymnasts can do cause obviously its more then strength to accomplish wat they do. but, I'm sure a gymnast cudnt do wat a body builder does either. the training routine of a gymnast is incredible!

I've learned from him that all a gymnast does is handle their own body weight in any condition they put it in..but give him massive weight and the strength is not there,not even close to body builder...I've watched him do amazing things conditioning for acrobatics..he did that after he got out of gymnastics....he is a small man but very fit to this day...I found it odd that one day he brings me a tool that was froze up and needed a twist (can't remember what) he says your hands are stronger than mine I can't get it loose...I said that's impossible you use to fly on rings and bars....his answer was it's not the same as you working with tools all your life,your grip is stronger,muscles are used differently...ok so he was right my grip is stronger....But if I could take a pill for the condition I choose I would pick the gymnast over BB any day since I've been around him for 10 years..............................He's from Barcelona,Spain

yes I agree not nearly as strong but the point is they LOOK like they are very strong. body builders are rarely stronger then power lifters in general. body builders are tryn to look muscular. gymnast have incredible biceps and shoulders that many professional body builders wud envy.

I've learned from him that all a gymnast does is handle their own body weight in any condition they put it in..but give him massive weight and the strength is not there,not even close to body builder...I've watched him do amazing things conditioning for acrobatics..he did that after he got out of gymnastics....he is a small man but very fit to this day...I found it odd that one day he brings me a tool that was froze up and needed a twist (can't remember what) he says your hands are stronger than mine I can't get it loose...I said that's impossible you use to fly on rings and bars....his answer was it's not the same as you working with tools all your life,your grip is stronger,muscles are used differently...ok so he was right my grip is stronger....But if I could take a pill for the condition I choose I would pick the gymnast over BB any day since I've been around him for 10 years..............................He's from Barcelona,Spain

Body builder: Trains for looks. Specifically muscle size and visibility. Any gains in strength or function as incidental. If being sedentary and weak produced the body building look, body builders would never see the gym again.
Power lifter: Trains for sheer strength. Mostly in particular isolated exercises and/or feats. Any "look" or athleticism that develops is incidental. The only goal is power.
Gymanist: Trains, to the best of my knowledge, for all around ability/athleticism needed to compete as a gymnast. Any look that develops is incidental. The goal is strictly functionality as a gynmast which is pretty much a well-rounded athlete. Though I doubt their training would help them much with specialties like hitting a baseball in MLB, completing a pass in the NFL as a QB or shooting 3 pointers in the NBA. ;)

The body builder and the power lifter are, over-simplified, one-trick ponies while the gymanst gains more all-around function as an athlete.

Oh...and as for health or eating well, body builders are hardly a good example. Top bodybuilders are notorious for portraying "the" picture of health while actually betraying their health through starvation, dehydration, over-supplementation, steroids (of course) and diets that are restrictive and nutritionally incomplete.

Body builder: Trains for looks. Specifically muscle size and visibility. Any gains in strength or function as incidental.
lol... tell that to Ronnie Coleman. he was a competitive power lifter before he became the greatest body builder of all time. and I'm sure Johnnie Jackson, markus ruhl and Dorian yates weren't strong either.... they just looked muscular right?

Dumbell Bench Presses with 200lb. Dumbbells!!!

800lb. Squats!!!

800lb. Deadlifts!!!

his strength gains were not incidental nor are they for any professional body builder. you have to get STRONG in order to get BIG. sure u can get bigger with a body building routine vs. a power lifter routine who do a fewer reps vs. multiple reps but if u think they only train for looks then ur not familiar with how professional body builders train who happen to be EXTREMELY strong as well.

Oh...and as for health or eating well, body builders are hardly a good example. Top bodybuilders are notorious for portraying "the" picture of health while actually betraying their health through starvation, dehydration, over-supplementation, steroids (of course) and diets that are restrictive and nutritionally incomplete.
now that made me lol... u can't be serious right? their restrictive diet u refer to so they starve themselves and dehydrate themselves its prior to a contest called pre-contest preparation. it goes on for a few weeks to get rid of any water so their muscles bellies are more visible then they get back to eating EXTREMELY healthy that take in more nutrition in one day then you will all week.

you shud really refrain from commenting on somthn ur really ignorant about. and as far as steroids go here's a news flash for you.... "There done in EVERY professional sport" yes body building is a professional sport just like football is!!!!!

lol... tell that to Ronnie Coleman. he was a competitive power lifter before he became the greatest body builder of all time. and I'm sure Johnnie Jackson, markus ruhl and Dorian yates weren't strong either.... they just looked muscular right?

Dumbell Bench Presses with 200lb. Dumbbells!!!

800lb. Squats!!!

800lb. Deadlifts!!!

his strength gains were not incidental nor are they for any professional body builder. you have to get STRONG in order to get BIG. sure u can get bigger with a body building routine vs. a power lifter routine who do a fewer reps vs. multiple reps but if u think they only train for looks then ur not familiar with how professional body builders train who happen to be EXTREMELY strong as well.

??? Whoa! Settle down Sparky! :laugh: Sorry to have a difference of a opinion here, but body builders are judged on looks alone, not strength. Clearly you are a true fan of the "sport". I didn't mean to offend you by pointing out the COMPARATIVELY superficial nature of bodybuilding vs power lifting or gymnastics. I never said bodybuilders weren't strong, just that the strength is not the primary goal of body builders.

In general. Yes, that is a generalization. I'm sure that some body builders are very strong and that most, if not all, are capapble of great feats of strength. But, in general, a body builder will not compete with a power lifter or gynmast in terms of funtion in their disciplines anymore than a gymanst or a power lifter would compete in a body building discipline. They are three different, although related, disciplines. No?

now that made me lol... u can't be serious right? their restrictive diet u refer to so they starve themselves and dehydrate themselves its prior to a contest called pre-contest preparation. it goes on for a few weeks to get rid of any water so their muscles bellies are more visible then they get back to eating EXTREMELY healthy that take in more nutrition in one day then you will all week.

you shud really refrain from commenting on somthn ur really ignorant about. and as far as steroids go here's a news flash for you.... "There done in EVERY professional sport" yes body building is a professional sport just like football is!!!!!

So...

a) You agree that they engage in unhealthy practices (diet extremes)
b) You attack me by calling me ignorant on the subject. So tell me, what do I know of the subject? I assume that you're not ignorant on the subject of what I know about the original topic. :whistle:
c) You agree that they often use steroids, another unhealthy practice. Not sure what football or other sports has to do with this point.

Be well! :)

??? Whoa! Settle down Sparky! :laugh: Sorry to have a difference of a opinion here, but body builders are judged on looks alone, not strength. Clearly you are a true fan of the "sport". I didn't mean to offend you by pointing out the COMPARATIVELY superficial nature of bodybuilding vs power lifting or gymnastics. I never said bodybuilders weren't strong, just that the strength is not the primary goal of body builders.

In general. Yes, that is a generalization. I'm sure that some body builders are very strong and that most, if not all, are capapble of great feats of strength. But, in general, a body builder will not compete with a power lifter or gynmast in terms of funtion in their disciplines anymore than a gymanst or a power lifter would compete in a body building discipline. They are three different, although related, disciplines. No?
lol yea sorry I get my panties in a knot over that sometimes cause most ppl just have no earthly idea how hard body builders work to look the way they do and ppl seem to undermine their strength too but yea ur right different disciples I agree.

So...

a) You agree that they engage in unhealthy practices (diet extremes)
b) You attack me by calling me ignorant on the subject. So tell me, what do I know of the subject? I assume that you're not ignorant on the subject of what I know about the original topic. :whistle:
c) You agree that they often use steroids, another unhealthy practice. Not sure what football or other sports has to do with this point.

Be well! :)
I don't agree that they engage in unhealthy practices. in fact, anyone who sees a body builder thinks anything but someone thats UNHEALTHY. sure, they engage in extreme diets pre contest but thats only for a few weeks then its back to extremely healthy dieting with tons of protein, carbs and very little fat and tons of vitamins.

ppl seem to believe that a pro body builder looks the way he does cause he's using steroids lol. let me reassure you that EVERY pro body builder is an absolute freak of nature who wud be VERY big and strong without the use of steroids. there are hundreds of thousands of ppl around the world that body build but you only see maybe 10 on stage for the mr. olympia contest.

anyone wanting to compete in pro body building at that level uses steroids but so do hundreds of thousands of others so why don't you see them on stage competing? cause they don't have the genes that the pros have. same with just about any pro sport only 1% make it to the pros but many others are tryn tho...

there is nothing unhealthy about steroids. testosterone is the main component and its a naturally occurring substance in ur body. ever see the commercials for low T? yea cause men lose their test as they age and replace it with prescribed test. they never let their bodies starve of test. yes of course they do other drugs too such as HGH but HGH is considered the holy grail and helps fight disease, aging, repairs tissues, improves skin, etc....

look at sly stallone. he is a heavy user of HGH and steroids and admits it. do u think he looks unhealthy or is unhealthy? he looks like he 25 yrs old. well, his body at least does.

look at any pro body builder. do they look unhealthy to you? they look anything but which is why they are professional BODY BUILDERS. yes making their bodies strong as hell while trying to have as little fat (very bad for you remember) and as little water retention as possible.

people break balls about body builders using illegal drugs but the fact is EVERY professional sport has athletes using steroids and have since the 50's. ppl even make a huge deal out of cyclists using steroids or other enhancing drugs but when was the last time you heard anyone criticize the sport of Football for using steroids? pretty much never.

Well there is Testosterone replacement to normal levels and then there is Testosterone taken to raise it to 5 times what any normal human being makes. Arguing that because its made naturally, it can do no harm is your totally your choice.

They wouldn't ban it, if it didn't cause an un-natural result.

And I do absolutely have a HUGE respect for the amount of work bodybuilders dedicate to their look. There is no way to get that unless you spend hours at it.

Personally for me, you take someone like a Bruce Lee. Tiny little thing. The strength that guy had was simply astounding.

when was the last time you heard of a body builder dieing or having serious heath issues due to the amount of steroids they consume? I can think of millions that have either died or had serious heath issues from consuming achoholic mixed beverages or cigarettes but can't recall the last time I watched the news and heard of anyone dieing of steroid use. can you?

having an unnatural result doesn't equate to unhealthy. unless you think Lance Armstrong who survived cancer and won the tour 7 times was unhealthy. no human being on this planet could win the tour if he was unhealthy. sure, it helped him compete but having an unhealthy results is the absolute last thing it produced.

and as far as Bruce lee being strong that depends on what ur definition of strong is. do u think he cud squat a lot of weight? nope. cud dead lift a lot of weight? nope. cud bench press a lot of weight? nope. cud he curl a lot of weight? nope. how do u think he wud compete in any strong man competition today? or how bout any olympic weight lifting event?

sure, he cud do lots of pulls ups and push ups but so can convicts in jail who practice every day who weigh a 140 lbs so how one defines strength is subjective. how long do u think he wud last in the ring today with even an average MMA fighter? not long! in fact, less then a minute with any amateur fighter. less then 30 seconds with any professional fighter and isn't that wat Bruce lee was really known for is fighting right?

Well there is Testosterone replacement to normal levels and then there is Testosterone taken to raise it to 5 times what any normal human being makes. Arguing that because its made naturally, it can do no harm is your totally your choice.

They wouldn't ban it, if it didn't cause an un-natural result.

And I do absolutely have a HUGE respect for the amount of work bodybuilders dedicate to their look. There is no way to get that unless you spend hours at it.

Personally for me, you take someone like a Bruce Lee. Tiny little thing. The strength that guy had was simply astounding.

Lance Armstrong survived testicular cancer and also admits in testimony that he feels performance enhancing drugs may have been what caused it in the first place. And we will never know how good he was because all of his results were the result of performance enhanced methods. He has been stripped of his titles. All of them. So it will be pure speculation as to how good he would be naturally.

I don't know or follow body building, so I can't comment on what caused what death if any. You can believe there are are no negative side affects to Testosterone all you like. It's your body and your choice. I do follow MMA from a health aspect of it. I work out at Yamane MMA. Who holds the state title 4 year in a row. The owner Niall (pronounced Nile) Yamane is about the size of Bruce Lee. He can kick the crap out of anybody that gets in his ring and is often outweighed by 100+ lbs.

He forbids the use of any performance enhancing drugs at his facility. If suspected they are subjected to testing. If caught they are walked out the door and banned from his facility. Put a body builder in an MMA ring and see how he does.

Tom really? now steroids CAUSE cancer smh. cmon now ur really reaching.... and no one gives a chit about his striped titles. we have discussed this before. nonetheless it helped him just like it did every other racer. unless you think Lance was the only one using performance enhancing drugs. if u buy into that I got a great big bridge to sell you....:whistle: for half price!!!!

lmao now ur trying to tell me a body builder who fights against an MMA fighter will lose? really Tom? I can't imagine where you wud get such a crazy notion like that....:whistle: no chit Tom. body builders are not professional fighters. just like an MMA fighter would have no chance against a body builder in a body building contest.

and if ur insinuating that size does not play a role in an MMA fight ur absolutely clueless. thats why they have different weight divisions Tom and yes the heavier MMA guys workout and are stronger then the smaller guys and the heavier stronger guys wud beat the crap out of Niall..... lol

and ummm no there are not negative side effects to testosterone. its what men are made of. google it Tom....:whistle:

Lance Armstrong survived testicular cancer and also admits in testimony that he feels performance enhancing drugs may have been what caused it in the first place. And we will never know how good he was because all of his results were the result of performance enhanced methods. He has been stripped of his titles. All of them. So it will be pure speculation as to how good he would be naturally.

I don't know or follow body building, so I can't comment on what caused what death if any. You can believe there are are no negative side affects to Testosterone all you like. It's your body and your choice. I do follow MMA from a health aspect of it. I work out at Yamane MMA. Who holds the state title 4 year in a row. The owner Niall (pronounced Nile) Yamane is about the size of Bruce Lee. He can kick the crap out of anybody that gets in his ring and is often outweighed by 100+ lbs.

He forbids the use of any performance enhancing drugs at his facility. If suspected they are subjected to testing. If caught they are walked out the door and banned from his facility. Put a body builder in an MMA ring and see how he does.

Yeah you might wanna try that Google thing yourself before you call anyone clueless.

Like I told you before. Take as much as you want. I could care less. It's your body and decision. Won't mean a rat's azz to me one way or the other what you do to yourself.

You can defend Armstrong all you want. He admitted he took all he was accused of, after 75 times of denying it. You can try and make the point that he would have won all 7 anyway, it really doesn't matter. He is banned for life, and stripped of all his titles. Cry all you want. He is done. And many were naturally produced substances in the body, so screw them for thinking you can't have too much of it. Those dumb asses can't know what they are talking about. If it naturally occurring in your body, all the athletes should be able to have 100 times normal level. Heck why stop there, 200 times. Can't hurt them.

I have come to completely agree with your earlier rant that all professional athletes need steroids. It's a fact of life in professional athletics that make large sums of money They should just step back and let them ramp up on whatever they want.

While you are Googling, you might want to look up Class Action lawsuits for Testosterone related ill health effects. Not against accidental exposure by children or nonsense like that . Regular adult men. They are piling up.

But you probably won't. :whistle:

I hate that steroids are illegal in sports.
It's your own body, your own choice.
Who doesn't want to see someone, kick, throw, or hit a ball harder and further?
Or run faster and jump higher?
If people cry that they can't beat the guys on steroids, oh well.
Athletes on and not on steroids have been competing against each other for decades, makes it interesting.
And as for bodybuilding, take all the steroids you want. I'm a straight guy and am not in to dudes, but I like to work out and I like to see huge muscles just to see what is physically possible. I wanna see the biggest scariest lookin dudes that can't turn there head on there shoulders they're so big:laugh: Freaks like Ronnie Coleman.
And besides...Everything supposedly causes cancer now days. Gotta die of something.
Just my 2 cents.:beerchug:

Back