blue smoke ???

DaddyPhatSaks

Registered
hey guys i have been on this site for a while i know i dont own a busa but i like the site and you guys are pretty dam cool, anyway i have a 00' yamaha r1 and it is smoking when i give it gas i thought it was black smoke but i had another person out there with me when i revved it up and they said it was blue , now my question is i was told by a gentleman that its either worn valve seals or piston rings so how much money are we talking to fix it ? rough estimate ? thanks and sorry the question isnt about a busa

How bad is smoking? Are you sure it's not just condensation blowin' out. Is it doin' it under load? Stick your finger in your exhuast tip if it's oily you're probably burnin' some if it's sooty you're runnin' rich if its greyish white you're runnin' lean (danger will robinson)

Blue smoke s oil. Black smoke is running rich. white smke vapor. Hold a piece of paper on the back of tha cans and see if any oi is on the paper.

just tried the paper idea and i looked at the paper when i was done no oil just some discoloring (light brown) and smells like gas . maybe i am colored blind but the smoke looks blue!!! anyway let me back up here for a minute the bike has been smoking for a little while now and it only smokes when i get on it and rev it up real high as soon as i back off it looks like blue smoke comes out not a lot but enough to say wtf!!! so basically it runs great other than needing a tune up and smoking when i let off the throttle at high rpm's, i am getting a shop to do a leak down test on the bike this coming wekk or next , my question to you busa guys is whats your take on it and is it still a good idea to get the leak down done ? thanks for your time and appreciate the responses

Back