04 smoking @ 5300 miles?

sewwhut

Registered
Ok guys having a little problem. 2004 busa with 5,300 miles smokes and leaves a black sut like residue on the end of the yoshi rs3 slip-ons. Today i explained my problem to the mechanic and he put it on the dyno (159 rwhp). He says everything was normal and the air fuel ratio was ok. He said that if it wasn't for the sut (blackstuff) on the tail pipes he would of thought that i was imagining things. He wants me to try regular gas. He also sugested the power comander but he couldn't guarantee that it would solve my problem because the air fuel ratio was good. It didn't smoke much on the dyno and he said it was normal. I am tired of the guys behind me at the light getting all smoked out when i revv the engine. it seems to smoke after the engine warms up and running for ahwile. Its not running hot. oil level is good and its seems to ride good and not sluggish at all, HELP GUYS

I think that's just the normal Philadelphia air you're experiencing.
tounge.gif

Don't know why the smoke, but usually indicates running rich on the fuel / air. Then again, I'm not the mechanic, so what do I know? I would do the Power Commander anyway and play with a few maps.

The manual shows a heated O2 Sensor for the E02 and the E19 models which are sold in the EU and the UK... if you have one of these I would suspect the O2 sensor first, if not start looking by checking for error codes, if none are present, look for split vacuum lines, especially at the IAP and check if throttle bodies are synched and TPS is adjusted correctly... let us know what you find.

Dynos are done at WFO throttle, if the air/fuel ratio is good on the dyno that just means its good at WFO throttle. It sounds like you are having a rich condition at idle. In a carb its a whole different circuit. I'm not sure what it means with FI I just know its in a different place in the map.

on past experience ive had working on cars i am a honda auto tech
your problem is sounding like carbon suit and smoke is too rich
on most programed fuel injection systems and i cant imagine it not being much diffrent than a car
your o2 sensor is in fuel control untill wide open throttle. after that the ecm doesnt care anymore at
wide open throttle it goes int open loop[.. its a preset fuel delivery and ignition curve usually spits smoke on shifting.
if it smokes all the time i would suspect a false reading imput to the ecm for the coolant temp sensor if it thinks its too cold or colder than it acually is it fattens up the mixture hpe this helps

Sounds like it's too rich. The PC can change the A/F ratio by trottle/rpm which could help.
smile.gif

PM Johny Cheese!

Hey guys. I have the 2004 Limited Edition Busa. I truly love the bike and have had zero problems with it since it was bought new last year. I was thinking about installing a Power Commander, a full Yoshi single side exhaust and a K&N air filter. What kind of power would I be looking at over stock equipment.

Yeah, Its too rich, Get a Pc 3, I dont think your bike has the 02 sensor, mine did, but mine was a European model.

Dynos are done at WFO throttle, if the air/fuel ratio is good on the dyno that just means its good at WFO throttle. It sounds like you are having a rich condition at idle. In a carb its a whole different circuit. I'm not sure what it means with FI I just know its in a different place in the map.
don't post lies. you are way the internet is so full of B.S.
rant.gif

WTF do you think load control dyno is?
rock.gif
??

Hey guys. I have the 2004 Limited Edition Busa. I truly love the bike and have had zero problems with it since it was bought new last year. I was thinking about installing a Power Commander, a full Yoshi single side exhaust and a K&N air filter. What kind of power would I be looking at over stock equipment.
Up to 10hp depending .

On your dyno run you could use some very light race oil to make whatever pipe you choose look a bit better ..... but no-one really does this right ?
laugh.gif

Welcome to the board
biggrin.gif

...Dont you think you are cutting into someone elses thread
rock.gif
I suggest you start your own post... people are more than eager to help you out on this site
wink.gif

I suggest you go for the PC3 even if you have just the bolt on... really makes the power delivery of the bike much smoother. If you have a US varient of the Busa... i dont think you need to think about the O2 sensor... cause its not there
biggrin.gif

I highly recomend that you PM Johnycheese regarding this. He is the tuning guru...

Back