Blue Heeler

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Anyone here have an Australian Cattle dog?

We just got this fella and at 9 weeks old he is potty trained.

Plan is to train him tricks and herding of chickens.

Any tips?

F46AE410-4ED9-41FB-9590-A0E0DFC4D979.jpeg

Great dogs , very smart and strong , a cattle dog so needs lots of exercise . Mates over the years have had them and generally do better in country compared to city locations for those same reasons stated .
A loyal true one man dog , but also good with family . We got a fellow renting close by with a male , that is really obsessed with wanting to have a go at my boy . But that same dog is okay with females , so pretty normal behavior I guess .

Great dogs , very smart and strong , a cattle dog so needs lots of exercise . Mates over the years have had them and generally do better in country compared to city locations for those same reasons stated .
A loyal true one man dog , but also good with family . We got a fellow renting close by with a male , that is really obsessed with wanting to have a go at my boy . But that same dog is okay with females , so pretty normal behavior I guess .
Thanks good info!!
We are in the country with acreage, a yellow Lab 11 years old and Siberian Husky 8 years old, so we figured it is time to bring in some young blood. Lab has no interest, but the Husky and the pup are best buds, play all day long. Husky’s make terrible guard dogs but the Lab is excellent as both an alarm and deterrent. Hopefully the Heeler will take over that duty in years to come.

I had a mate with a cattle dog/staffy cross, beautiful nature, but very protective of his Master! He was very active, loved to swim in the river and run and run!

Sadly he passed away 8 years ago at the age of 11, he had a cancerous tumour on his gut and he had to be put to sleep by the vet.
We had 'Toby's Last Night Drinks' the night before the morning he was taken to the vet.
Steve gave him a huge rump steak and a few other treats and he lay in front of the fire all night, my dogs tried to get him to play but he just lay there by the fire looking very content after his big steak meal.we shed a few tears too.

I have no pets but am surrounded by people who have dogs so I get my "fix" a neighbour has a Weimaramer dog and it is fun to play with. As it is a hound, once it's nose goes down, it is a challenge to get it to respond to any commands.

Other neighbours have older dogs and one by one, sadly they are passing away-I get close to many of the dogs as being retired, I often look after them for my neighbours.

Many times when I go visit my neighbours, their dogs will come over and lay down by my feet.

Back