Bikebolts.com

ToyKraz

Collector of Toyz
Donating Member
Registered
Just receeived my complete set of fairing bolts from Bikebolts.com today. I put them on, but I am pretty sure they are coming off this weekend.

Initial feelings:

Heads are way to small. Allows scratches in paint caused by stock bolts to be seen.

Powder coating is too thick in head. On most of the bolts I could barely get the allen wrench in far enough to get the bolts tight.

I will probably only use the ones for the inners just because the black blends.

I am looking for someone that can either powder coat or paint the stock bolts. Anyone here do it?

I can powder coat them, but I'm afraid you'd have the same results. The powder is just thick enough to screw up the allen key to wrench fit. Have you looked at Tasty Nuts? http://www.tastynuts.com/site/frames/frameset_shoponline.htm

Tried painting a few and it basically chipped off after a two or three install/remove sessions testing durability.

A buddy and I are looking at setting up a anodizing station later this year, but it doesn't help you out now
sad.gif

Anodizing is your only option, powder will mess up a fit every time.

My Dad turn some bolts black one time with heat and oil I believe. I will ask him next time I talk to him.

Anodize will only be good if you choose to use Aluminium Bolts.
rock.gif

(mzrsq @ Feb. 05 2007,20:02) Anodize will only be good if you choose to use Aluminium Bolts.
rock.gif
Or Titanium. And the aluminum fairing bolts I found are cheap enough to deal with, as well, fairing bolts are low stress, so Aluminum is fine.

(CAT3 @ Feb. 05 2007,23:07)
(mzrsq @ Feb. 05 2007,20:02) Anodize will only be good if you choose to use Aluminium Bolts.
rock.gif
Or Titanium. And the aluminum fairing bolts I found are cheap enough to deal with, as well, fairing bolts are low stress, so Aluminum is fine.
Thats what I was thinking.

(heavybusa @ Feb. 05 2007,20:30) Cat has been doing some homework!
coffee.gif
Why thank you for noticing Heavy
smile.gif
I have 3.5 yrs to retirement and I am wanting to open my own business, specializing in Bikes of course, so this type of stuff appeals to me.

So what can be done with the stock bolts...must bolts be anodized during the manufacturing process?

No. Anodizing is post-production. Stock bolts are chromed, so haven't done that much research on them other than the chrome will not allow the underlying steel to absorb any coloring as it closes the pores of the metal. I may have found Al bolts pretty cheap, which would allow me to easily anodize them and cheaply.

Only powder coat the heads.

1 Get the parts hot
2 dip the heads in powder
3 follow bake time
4 install them - Done

(06BUSA @ Feb. 06 2007,02:26) Only powder coat the heads.

1 Get the parts hot
2 dip the heads in powder
3 follow bake time
4 install them - Done
Also tried a similar technique, might have done something "wrong" but the powder still either gets inside the allen key (ill fitting tool to fastener fitting) or leaves the recess in the key part chrome (looks half-assed).

I got my set yesterday from bikebolts,I gotta say I love em,I dont have any scratches to speak of that are made visible by the smaller headed bolt.my bike is entirely black and luv the new look...just my $.02...sorry it didnt work out for you bro.

Back