bike lurches when started in gear

myfirstbusa

Registered
Hey guys, I went for 2 rides today and noticed that each time I start my K9 it lurches forward a bit. I always park my bike in 1st gear and roll it all the way forward til the compression stops the bike before putting her down on the kickstand. Well, even with the clutch handle pulled fully, she still jumps forward about 1 1/2" when I start her. I just got it back from the shop. Took her there for new tires, oil change, and general overall service. They lubed and tightened the chain also. What might cause this lurch and is it potentially harmful to anything on the bike? If so, how can it be remedied? Any help is much appreciated. Oh, and while I'm at it I will give props to the Shinko 005 Advances. Ran them up to 165mph today and they felt better than my old Pilot Road 2's. :bowdown:

You prolly have your clutch lever adjusted in too far and it is not disengaging fully when you draw it in ?

Set clutch lever all the way out and try it. I forget if it is 1 or 5
See if that helps ?

displayimage.php

Always start in neutral :laugh:

Last edited:
Sounds like you are starting it in gear.

DON'T!

It will always lurch when started in gear. It is a "Constant Mesh Transmission". It will always present a little bit a of drag when starting it. It will even spin the rear tire in neutral if the wheel is off the ground. Even my FJR does that. My Maxim 550 did that. Every bike I have ever ridden does that.

The only time one of my bikes didn't do that was when the clutch plate were fried.

P.S. It's a hydraulic self-adjusting clutch. The number on the levers are only for rider comfort adjustment. They do nothing for clutch freeplay.

Reactions: Zee
in all honesty, I really don't think about it. I park it in 1st gear, so when I hop on it and start it, I just stand it up, put the kickstand up, turn on the key, clutch it, and start it, then away I go. Never even thought about putting it in neutral to start it really. Guess I will from now on. The only weird thing is that it never did it before this last service.

Glad to see ya here learnin stuff...
If you own a Hayabusa- these threads a great educational resource, read up bro!

May just be from the fresh oil on the clutches she just received.:poke: I really don't know.. just guessing...:whistle:

in all honesty, I really don't think about it. I park it in 1st gear, so when I hop on it and start it, I just stand it up, put the kickstand up, turn on the key, clutch it, and start it, then away I go. Never even thought about putting it in neutral to start it really. Guess I will from now on. The only weird thing is that it never did it before this last service.

No warm up time eh???

What you have is the first signs I had as well, I ignored it WELL long story short $800.00 for a new clutch.

My buddy works in the dealership service department, he told me if it WAS a clutch issue, he'd do it for $389. I'm assuming that's Suzuki parts?! Not sure though. I DO have 9700 HARD miles on her... a lot of em on the back wheel:whistle:

Sounds like clutch pack is sticking a little .............. try and stand bike leaning to clutch side and tie back clutch lever to bar o/night. (Rotate motor a little a couple of times over a few hours) Will let oil get up between friction plates and should fix problem. If not remove fibres and soak in oil then refit and will solve prob for sure. If not change oil brands, which is probably why it never done it before last service .......... odds on was a different engine oil. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back