BIKE Communications (Spring Bash)

UncleSteve

Gear good - roadrash bad
Donating Member
Registered
Motorola Uniden radio earpiece PTT throat mic $45 for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

Might be an inexpensive way to have bike to bike communications. Those who only need occasional bike to bike. Maybe for the spring bash. $300 for a chatterbox maybe too much $$ for an occasional need. (Autocom more $$)

Bike to bike communications makes the ride safer and more enjoyable.
Lane changes are easier when the bike behind can tell you it is clear, debris in the road warnings from the front or lead bike. Upcoming turns etc.

Something to consider for the spring bash, if you have never been, many riders have some type of bike to bike communications.

You can spend a lot more money, and sometimes you get what you pay for.
Some have trouble free experiences with chatterbox. $200-$300
And autocom, more expensive - $500-$1000 if you do the top of the line set up. Seems to be the best way to go for sound quality and range.

My suggestion if you have considered a bike to bike set up and never have used one, is to start off on the low end. See if it is something you will want to invest in.
A $45 throat mic with handle bar push to talk is not a bad place to start. (PTT is a must) If you already have an FRS radio around the house your expense stops at $45. Or Walmart and Target etc, have them at bargain prices.
I have the cardo scala rider Q2, this works great but range is short and it will not work for group rides. Can only link to one other Q2 at a time.

This year I am using an Autocom hybrid. I purchased the boom mic, speakers, handle bar push to talk and radio interface for motorola FRS and Kenwood FRS. A little over $200
I have a Garmin Rino GPS/FRS radio it will work with or I can purchase the Kenwood Business radio with GMRS/FRS programing. $175

It is some what a pain to find the most trouble free system without spending an arm and a leg.
There are about as many opinions on the matter as there are choices.

If you decide to try bike to bike, do a little research and road test it before you leave town. Nothing worse than getting to Robbinsville and your stuff does not work, or you have no idea how to make it work. :whistle:
Right Don?

PTT from auto come on the left handle bar. I did not like their suggestion of zip ties chris crossed over the grip. So I made it look a little cleaner.

IMG_1063.jpg

Found an article describing bike to bike communication for under $100...

linky

That is very clean Steve. Well done.

I am leaning towards the chatterbox now, after todays test ride.
The auto com set up with the FRS radio I was going to use, did not work well enough.
This is becoming a real quest.
We only tried FRS channel 1 , without a tone entered.
After each transmission the radio was sending a squelch sound that bothered the other rider. He was unable to turn the volume up, if he did the squelch noise was very irritating.
I have to do some more testing on GMRS channels with a tone code to see if the sound quality is better.
The Cardo has been the best so far, big problem is that there is no way to use it in a group ride.
Why can't this be easy?

:banghead:

Now the bluetooth CB is on back order.... more frustration..
:moderator:

I am leaning towards the chatterbox now, after todays test ride.
The auto com set up with the FRS radio I was going to use, did not work well enough.
This is becoming a real quest.
We only tried FRS channel 1 , without a tone entered.
After each transmission the radio was sending a squelch sound that bothered the other rider. He was unable to turn the volume up, if he did the squelch noise was very irritating.
I have to do some more testing on GMRS channels with a tone code to see if the sound quality is better.
The Cardo has been the best so far, big problem is that there is no way to use it in a group ride.
Why can't this be easy?

Did you contact auto com about the problem ? It may be easily overcome with a little tech help from them.

I found a supplier here in Tulsa that deals with commercial and hazmat radio systems. I cant get the radios I need from them because they sell very high end products that would have to be programed to work on the FRS channels. I did find the right mic and ptt I want, now I just need some funds. But I will be bringing it to the bash with a standard FRS/GMRS radio you can get a radio shack.

My Wife & I are very happy w/ our Scala Rider Muti-set Q2 system. The only downside is the range 1/3 mile. When we are out of range we use the bluetooth feature & talk on the phone, voice activated. The rest of the time I listen to my Ipod through the system.

My Wife & I are very happy w/ our Scala Rider Muti-set Q2 system. The only downside is the range 1/3 mile. When we are out of range we use the bluetooth feature & talk on the phone, voice activated. The rest of the time I listen to my Ipod through the system.

Michael, can you talk to other bikes in a group setting?

Michael, can you talk to other bikes in a group setting?

I have one of them and no, cannot group talk.

They have a very good system, unfortunately it transmits in bluetooth.
Range is short and has to be linked to the other rider's Cardo.
You can link a second rider, but only talk to one at a time.

If they would integrate an input jack for FRS radios?? Then group talk would work.
They have a very good speaker/microphone combination. Can operate clearly in noisy environment, high wind etc.

Great minds think alike, Steve! I have my PTT button mounted the same way

CIMG5508.JPG

CIMG5508.JPG

I have one of them and no, cannot group talk.

They have a very good system, unfortunately it transmits in bluetooth.
Range is short and has to be linked to the other rider's Cardo.
You can link a second rider, but only talk to one at a time.

If they would integrate an input jack for FRS radios?? Then group talk would work.
They have a very good speaker/microphone combination. Can operate clearly in noisy environment, high wind etc.

James - Busa159 covered it, Unfortunately at this time you can't link a group. The nice thing is it is not like a walkie-talkie, you can both talk & listen at the same time like a phone. The clarity is great & I have talked to Lisa while she was riding at 80mph while I was at work & could not tell.

Man I love that set-up for the PTT buttons. But I am a big fan of Chatter Box. I ride with some big groups at times and we seperate into sub groups, but Chatter Box still keeps us connected.

My best Chatter Box story........
We had a group leaving downtown Portland headed my way on I-5. I told them that I would be waiting at the gas station off the highway and they were to hit me up on the Chatter Box when they were a mile or 2 out, and I would just join in as they passed my entrance. HOWEVER, I was running late. I live about 2 miles from the highway (lots of houses and businesses in between). Just as I was closing my garage door, I heard the group telling me that they were about 2 miles from my entrance. I was amazed that I could hear them at my house. I had to tell them to pull over and wait for me.

If anyone wants a CB, I have a cnnection who probably has them in stock and would be willing to do a group buy. If that is of interest, hit me up and I will let him know.

Back