Big man Bike

mrjoshua101

Registered
I'm in the market for a bike, and the Hayabusa is on my list. I've read the various posts concerning first bikes, etc. The thing is, I am 6'4" 370. I lift weights and am physically fit. I'm finding very few bikes that will fit me comfortably and not look like a tricycle under me. My workmates that ride bikes tell me that my size and stregnth will give me an advantage controlling a large, powerful motorcycle. I'm scheduled to take the Safety Course before my purchase. Any opinions and/or comments?

I'm in the market for a bike, and the Hayabusa is on my list. I've read the various posts concerning first bikes, etc. The thing is, I am 6'4" 370. I lift weights and am physically fit. I'm finding very few bikes that will fit me comfortably and not look like a tricycle under me. My workmates that ride bikes tell me that my size and stregnth will give me an advantage controlling a large, powerful motorcycle. I'm scheduled to take the Safety Course before my purchase. Any opinions and/or comments?
I think the biggest issue is can you control your throttle? It's a very responsive bike and the slightest touch will have you moving pretty quickly.

From a comfort standpoint, after a couple of mods for your height (pegs and heli-bars in my case; 6'2" 240lbs when I got it last year, 197 now), the length of the bike will make the bike pretty comfortable compared with the GSXR750 I had. Lots of room to stretch out.

What are you going to do with it when you get it? Track (race/drag), ride the local roads, multi-day rides? That also makes a difference in how you'll set it up.

Um, BTW, how's the arm burn? Leave a scar?
rock.gif

Carl

hey when you take that saftey class on that 250 be sure and post up some video. The busas not that bad well until you get over 5k. Would say i havent had any probs with controling the power but id be lying. If the busa is what you want get it cause i dont really see any other bike pull you around

I don't think the weight should be a consideration when it comes to bike's power. It's like saying I am an average weight (let's say 200 lbs), and will always be riding with a passenger (170 lbs), and since I will always be riding two-up I need the most powerful bike as a first bike.

If you are a big guy, any bike is gonna look like a toy bike, even the Busa. And, most likely, you would need to make changes to stock suspension on any bike you get. However, not having all your reflexes nailed down, one little mistake can get you in all kinds of trouble with the Busa. The biggest problem is that most our natural reflexes are wrong when it comes to bikes. It takes time to learn new reflexes, to start feeling traction, etc.

Wishing you the best in whatever final decision you make.:)

hey when you take that saftey class on that 250 be sure and post up some video.  The busas not that bad well until you get over 5k.  Would say i havent had any probs with controling the power but id be lying.  If the busa is what you want get it cause i dont really see any other bike pull you around
I agree. I'm 6'2" pushing 3 spins on the scale. Your choice in sport bikes is very limited. I often have oportunities to ride some nice european bikes but I can barely fit on the damn things!!

I love the way my stock Busa fits me. I'm going to lower the pegs about 3/4" and it will be PURRRFECT.

Once you take the MSF course, you will know if the busa is right for you. there are several less powerful/expensive, but still fun options, my suggetions (not in any particular order) are: CBR 1000F, ZX-11, Bandit 1200s, FZR1000 Any of these bikes has enough power to pucker your butt, but forgiving and inexpensive enough to learn on.

Yeah but they dont look nearly as good and for us young guys thats important

Suzuki 1000 V-Strom - youre a tall and big guy. Cut your teeth on a V-strom until you have shifting and cornering and breaking and pulling in the clutch at speed, and letting it back out at speed, - all becoming second nature.

Then, you will want to and be ready to harness the power of a machine like the ones you have been looking at. The riding positiion for a newbie is quit a challenging thing if you are still working out the kinks of traffic and motorcycle operation.

The V-strom sits you up in a more normal manner and allows you to get all that other stuff to where you dont have to think about it anymore, and then you should be ready to lean over and have fun.

ZZR-1200 also sits comfortably, and is for a big fella, - its faster than most bikes also...but it is easier on the throttle, unlike the busa, which is the most torquey bike I ever felt. The busa does not allow for error on its throttle.

Fast bikes like the zx11, and even the zx12 allowed for a sloppy throttle...the zzr1200 allows for it as well as the CBR1100xx, - but the busa will bite you like a great white if you screw up on its throttle.

As for you friends telling you that your strength will help you with a big bike, - thats complete crap. Ok, it will allow you to pick it up off the ground, or make it easier for you to manever when its not running, - but I dont care how much you weigh, - just about any bike has enough power to make you feel like a slave to the bike's direction if you are in gear and the engine is running.

What I mean is, - when the bikes moving, - your strength is a non-issue...it takes little more than the thought of leaning over and the bike leans over when its in motion...so dont think you have to buy a big bike because you are strong. A big bike is good to carry a big guy, - but a "fast" or Torquey bike is dangerous in the hands of a newbie. Big or small.

The V-strom might be torqey too since its a V-twin, - but I believe the bike has quite a better suspension and sits high, which is why I thought of it for a guy like you.

The busa is kind of low for a tall and big guy, and you might look wierd on it, - how does it feel? - Dont the footpegs on the busa seem to close to a tall guy?

<!--EDIT|HayaVegas
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115224365 -->

I'm 6feet and 300 Lbs. the busa seems very comfortable to me!!

...and as far as big guys being able to ride bikes better!! Well, I would say big or small... 90% of the riding happens in between the 2 ears

I suggest you go to the show room, sit on every bike that you like and then take call!!

I dont care if you are the hulk, I wouldnt recommend a Busa as a first bike to anyone.

Sure it will carry your healthy 370 pound body around just fine, indeed better than anything I can think of, but last time I checked the reasons that people crash bikes their weight was not high up there.

No matter what your size the same reasons for not getting the worlds fastest bike as you first foray into the worlkd of biking apply.

I dont deny that many people get away with a busa as a first bike but I dont think anyone else can deny that it will make you significantly more likely to have a mishap. And if the bigger they are the harder they fall still applies I'd say you want to stay clear of anything that resluts in a fall ;)

crawl - walk - run
or
run - run - crash

you decide

moX

Suzuki 1000 V-Strom - youre a tall and big guy.  Cut your teeth on a V-strom until you have shifting and cornering and breaking and pulling in the clutch at speed, and letting it back out at speed, - all becoming second nature.

Then, you will want to and be ready to harness the power of a machine like the ones you have been looking at.  The riding positiion for a newbie is quit a challenging thing if you are still working out the kinks of traffic and motorcycle operation.

The V-strom sits you up in a more normal manner and allows you to get all that other stuff to where you dont have to think about it anymore, and then you should be ready to lean over and have fun.

ZZR-1200 also sits comfortably, and is for a big fella, - its faster than most bikes also...but it is easier on the throttle, unlike the busa, which is the most torquey bike I ever felt.  The busa does not allow for error on its throttle.

Fast bikes like the zx11, and even the zx12 allowed for a sloppy throttle...the zzr1200 allows for it as well as the CBR1100xx, - but the busa will bite you like a great white if you screw up on its throttle.

As for you friends telling you that your strength will help you with a big bike, - thats complete crap.  Ok, it will allow you to pick it up off the ground, or make it easier for you to manever when its not running, - but I dont care how much you weigh, - just about any bike has enough power to make you feel like a slave to the bike's direction if you are in gear and the engine is running.

What I mean is, - when the bikes moving, - your strength is a non-issue...it takes little more than the thought of leaning over and the bike leans over when its in motion...so dont think you have to buy a big bike because you are strong.  A big bike is good to carry a big guy, - but a "fast" or Torquey bike is dangerous in the hands of a newbie.  Big or small.

The V-strom might be torqey too since its a V-twin, - but I believe the bike has quite a better suspension and sits high, which is why I thought of it for a guy like you.

The busa is kind of low for a tall and big guy, and you might look wierd on it, - how does it feel?  - Dont the footpegs on the busa seem to close to a tall guy?
What he said.......

At this point, rather than worry about what will fit you, think more about what will be best to learn on, without costing too much in the pocketbook or getting you in over your head control-wise.

This isn't your fathers Kawasaki!!!!!

Sorry B.T.

biggrin.gif

Back