big bore/cams/N20/questions

johnnycrash

Donating Member
Registered
Going into motor in the next few weeks to do trans (fresh undercut tranny from fastbygast with billet shaft). Might as well spend some $$$ while it's apart.

Doing a 378 cam on intake and moving stock to exhaust with APE adj cam sprox. Also - I currently spray a 50 shot dry but am moving to a wet kit and want to up the spray to at least 70 or so. Is 12:1 compression too high for that much spray? Is it worth doing the 1397 as well? Cooling issues?

I put about 8k miles per year on my bike and actually need it to be reliable - will the motor I'm describing still fill that bill?

you shouldnt have any problems with that set up i am doing the same one and going with the 1397

(goodluck @ Sep. 25 2007,14:19) you shouldnt have any problems with that set up i am doing the same one and going with the 1397
Are you spraying as well? What I was worried about most (besides cooling) was that much compression with N20.

What's stock compression? It's under 11:1 isn't it?

nitrous is very hard on bottom ends, so it really depends on how much your squeezing it and how often.

a well built 13997 with that compression, a wet shot and a progressive contoller and you will be ok.

(blk02ws6 @ Sep. 25 2007,14:30) nitrous is very hard on bottom ends, so it really depends on how much your squeezing it and how often.

a well built 13997 with that compression, a wet shot and a progressive contoller and you will be ok.
I was thinking/hoping the lower end would be ok with anything less than 300 hp. This setup should be around 200 N/A and 270 on spray (guesstimates) so I figured the bottom end would be ok - and yes I do have a progressive controller.

As far as how often I spray - about 6~8 pounds per week if the weather is good. Anymore if I'm out of nitrous I won't even get the thing out of the garage.

thanks for the replies, all.

Hey Johnnycrash
I will be doing the big bore kit 1397 w/12.8-1 compression and spraying a dry shot as well...Im looking at several shops right now in my area... what is a reasonable figure dollarwise that i should budget for this? Just looking for numbers?

Hey Johnnycrash
I will be doing the big bore kit 1397 w/12.8-1 compression and spraying a dry shot as well...Im looking at several shops right now in my area... what is a reasonable figure dollarwise that i should budget for this? Just looking for numbers?
LOTS !!!!!!!!!!!!
jump9.gif
Just kidding 321, I was looking at the carpenter racing site and they want:

http://www.carpenterracing.com/hayabusa.htm

Check out the 1622cc at the bottom . I want the 1430 done !
race.gif

I have to ask them how reliable it is . "To agressive for the street " my a$$ !! Also how much dry can I use safely. Hey what if you put the new crank in it from the 08s . I hear they are $900 form Zuk.

Oh yea one more thing I will have to do is get the boss REALLY DRUNK so I can justify $5000!

If you're gonna be doing all that ya might as well bore it out to 1397. Wet kit is def better as you spray more. The only other thing you may want to do is add the 24v start, 2nd fan, and honda fan switch.

Did you already hand your trans to FBG?? PM me if you did or before you do. (just some advise to pass along).

Is there anything that needs to be done to the trannys with these high output motors ?

its' always good to have the gears back-cut / undercut. The trans is pretty darn strong. Since you have it apart I would swap in some ceramic bearings too.

its' always good to have the gears back-cut / undercut. The trans is pretty darn strong. Since you have it apart I would swap in some ceramic bearings too.
I forgot to mark this topic and just now noticed all the good advice and replies I got.

Commuta, I got this trans off a member on SH.org for a killer price.  It had already been to FBG.  My mechanic verified it had been undercut and was in good shape.

As far as motor, I scaled back my project a little.  Went with drop in JE 12.8:1's, Web 378 on intake, intake on exhaust, Carpenter valve springs (can't remember #), then just the little stuff:  All new OEM bearings, APE cam sprockets, HV oil pump gear, new oil pickup, all short stacks and maybe something else I'm forgetting.  

The bike is done and runs great but needs to get dynoed - hopefully today or tomorrow.  Will run her a while like this and then convert my dry shot to wet over winter.

Back