Best way to Launch?

chunk1340

Registered
Here is a slow motion video of one of my runs from this weekend. Filmed at 1000 frames per second.

Feel free to comment on what I am doing wrong, this is launching with a stock clutch, I am used to a lock up on my old bike.

This was the only run that the bike wheelied. I am revving to around 8,000 in stage and then trying to feed the clutch out as I go to full throttle. In this run I think I got it all wrong, let go of the clutch at the last moment and wound the throttle on too quick. Short shifted in second to stop it coming up too much. Most 60 foots were low 1.5's, best was a 1.47.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off,,, sweet vid... Wish I had a slow motion camera. 2nd,, I think you handled it pretty good, but maybe your rear suspension looked too stiff, back it down a little. Oh, how far are you stretched? 8 grand seems kinda high if you are less than 6inches.:bowdown:

Looked great just get out of the air (tucked) as soon as you can. Putting that chest on the tank helps to keep it down as well. I agree on the chassis...turn the compression down about (6 clicks) under load she did not squat much which aided in the wheelie... :thumbsup:

Well spotted guys. The suspension is a little hard, I will adjust as you suggest GPW and see how it goes, I will be fitting a jri shock in due course (thanks to sean06). Thanks for the advice so far.

a 9.55 or 9.59, I forget what the time was... sorry. But at 140ish. Why does that trap seem low? I've seen other Busa's running 9.65-9.69 trapping 153ish. I've never hit the drag strip, so feel free to enlighten me and explain to me like I'm a 2 year old... girlfriend does it all the time:rofl:

a 9.55 or 9.59, I forget what the time was... sorry. But at 140ish. Why does that trap seem low? I've seen other Busa's running 9.65-9.69 trapping 153ish. I've never hit the drag strip, so feel free to enlighten me and explain to me like I'm a 2 year old... girlfriend does it all the time:rofl:

I'm not sure that there is a direct correlation between elapsed time and mph. On my 99 I could run a 9.5 at speeds varying from 138 to 142mph. On the 08 I was running 9.5's later in the day at 145mph.

+ I would have lost speed due to the wheelie and short shifting into second.

Last edited:
Here you go just watch the swing-arm, certainly not the light. I was sleeping on it for sure. 61" long with 20 psi in the rear street tire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here you go just watch the swing-arm, certainly not the light. I was sleeping on it for sure. 61" long with 20 psi in the rear street tire. QUOTE]

I like the way it digs in, I wasnt sure about having too much 'give' on the rear as I didnt want to hit the rear light, I now have a 50 profile tire on the rear so I can afford to make a few adjustments. I am currently running at around 63" I think.

Thanks for this. :thumbsup:

aaaa spring is in the air!!!! Yes!! loving this, just pulled my Busa out of the trailer it was in for the winter and have the clutch apart getting it ready. I put brock's clutch mod in... Love the videos......

Looked great just get out of the air (tucked) as soon as you can. Putting that chest on the tank helps to keep it down as well. I agree on the chassis...turn the compression down about (6 clicks) under load she did not squat much which aided in the wheelie... :thumbsup:

I am glad I read this, I have been going the wrong way!!! And, planed to stiffen it up some more for this weekend.

GPW, do you recognize the Pipe... :beerchug:

809119910_ozNWH-X2.jpg

Last edited:
Back