Best clutch setup

jeepinocala

Registered
I do alot of turning and also drag race once in a while researching a clutch kit or setup to do for this winter while my panels are being painted what is the best? I just put a barnet clutch kit in my sons bike it seem pretty good.:whistle: Oh and yes 50 shot nos

I would not recomend the Barnett. A lot of folks try them. Most go back to OEM plates and fibers. The Brocks setup with heavy springs and a clutch cushion works pretty well. I have a whole season on mine, and am getting high 1.3 to mid 1.4 60' times.

So you are saying go with stock plates and use the brocks mod? I hear alot about the mod being just welded up the clutch has some typ of slip incorporated for when you slow down it will slip so the back tire doesn't come out from under you. Anyone doing alot of turns have this mod and like it?

Eliminating the back torque limiter is step 1. That is the hub you are referring too.
Brock sells a couple of different clutch kits, but the entire clutch kit includes Springs, the cushion, and a steel / fiber set up that eliminates one of the two skinny fibers.

So you are saying go with stock plates and use the brocks mod? I hear alot about the mod being just welded up the clutch has some typ of slip incorporated for when you slow down it will slip so the back tire doesn't come out from under you. Anyone doing alot of turns have this mod and like it?

You can weld up a stocker and do it, but Brocks is a billet part to replace the stocker. Much nicer part.

You can weld up a stocker and do it, but Brocks is a billet part to replace the stocker. It is a much nicer part than the welded ones. (and lighter) There is also a drop in ring for the stocker that will do the same thing.

Yes it takes out the back slip feature out of it. It also reduces the amount of pressure on the clutch plates. This requires heavier springs to get the clutch to hold the same amount of power.

IMO, the only thing the Clutch mod will do is smooth the application of the clutch when launching the bike hard. If you don’t feel it chatter under launch with the stocker you are not going to gain by putting a clutch mod in. You’ll actually hurt yourself a bit because the lever pull will be harder than stock.

As for the slip feature down shifting in turns, it is better with the stock setup. However it is still not a substitute for a smooth release of the clutch lever during a downshift. It will still get you into trouble. Regardless, the downshift should be before the curve anyhow! ;)

I know of many guys that have used the Barnette clutch in a Busa. None have had very good results with them compared to the OEM.

run stock plates and do the clutch mod. best setup you can do for a street/ strip bike. wanna go faster use a lock up mtc.

have you looked into a hays convertible? probably would be too much for your application, but they're cool :rofl:

luv my Hayes :bowdown::thumbsup::cheerleader:

P3305542.jpg

Hays is the way to go it can be used as a hand clutch lock up or made into a slider.
If you do the clutch mod with the heavy springs you need to put a clutch cylinder support on if not the heavy springs will cause the clutch cylinder to break.

I was seriously considering a multistage lock up on my Gen II, but I've got my 60' times down to 1.35 - 1.37 with the "stock" hand clutch setup. I'm not sure how much of an improvement one would expect. If I went to a push button clutch launch, I could see the benefit, but not if you hand launch the bike. I don't have any experience with the different mutistage lockups. ??

My clutch setup is OEM steels and fibers with welded stock hub and all Stiff springs. 60ft is usually 1.35-137 at 66 inch wheel base. I set my stack height to 1.97-2.0.

Back