Best 4 into1 system

OB_Warp1Busa

Registered
Best 4 into 1 system ??,,I'm looking at Akro, & Yosh,,D&D,,most likely other systems. Is Re-mapping needed,,any diff. in performance.

I Already have D&D slip on's and am looking to move on further,,any thoughts ??

Thanks

Warp1

I have a Akropovic system, I like it, I want to build up my engine this winter so that is the one I went with. I think Micron and Yosh make good pipes too. Whatever you prefer. When I dynotuned my bike with the exhaust on it made 159hp, unfortunately I don't know what it was stock. With the power commander and a slight airbox mod it's at 166hp.
If you don't remap the FI with the Akropovic it will run rich down low, below 4,000rpm's, but other than that it runs o.k. With the the remapping done the thing rockets at low rpm's a huge difference. I hope this help's. I guess I would get whatever one you like the best.

I am not trying to start anything, but aren't most of them 4-2-1.

[This message has been edited by jim p (edited 05 October 1999).]

Heya,

I have installed a Carbon Yoshi Full Race 4-2-1 and I am impressed! I love the new look it is a much tighter line (closer tuck in to the bike) and the sound is AWESOME ... it has a real bark now!

I will have to remap though since it has quite a harsh backfire (pop) on the 'off-throttle'.

Next Purchase is a PCII.

Aussie Abroad (B/S Hayabusa)

The only true 4-1 system I have seen is made by the swede TOJ. He made it from an old VHR exaust system and it really works ( I think he is up to 186 Rwhp by now with only minor engine work ). The reason that all the makers are making 4-2-1 is the design of the sump. It lends itself to a 4-2-1 design ( naturally ). I am working on a 4-1 design right now and on monday I am ( maybye ) setting the prototype in production. It will be of a new design ( have U ever heard this b4? heheh ) invented by me.....

The reason most reputable manufacturers make 4-2-1 is because this design, on most every 4 cylinder bike, increases midrange as well as top end. A 4-1 pipe with only one collector will increase top end only- great for drag racing maybe, but lousy for the street. In the old days, 4-1's were cheaper to make and were considered an inferior product. Now, everyone makes 4-2-1 cuz they work better. Except that on the 'Busa, most aftermarket companies are struggling to improve over the stock headers- nearly impossible to do. Stock 4-2-1 headers work great.

we did a custom 4 into 1 on mine.
it looks like a side pipe but it's not.
it comes out under neath just like the stock pipe does.
it kinda looks like paul gast pipe does on his bike but my megaphone comes up like a roadrace pipe. i think it looks better than pauls because it follows the body lines of the bike and not the swingarm.

Installed a Yosh Duplex full system which cause a stumble from idle and a backfire off throttle. Installed a Power Commander II and cured the problems. Runs excellent and sounds AWESOME.

Hey BigDog!

You got me thinking, I have always been a 4 into 1 guys myself, yet I am probably as wide as you are!! Obviously you have been checking yourself out in the mirror too? too funny... Seeing how the stock busa sure doesn't need much modification to make in insanely fast. I might just go with a set of slip-ons and keeps the double look. Regular slips ons won't need the PowerCommander in order to run smoothly, once you change the air flow, like race baffles etc, you need to richen the fuel mapping.
A 4 into 1, is when the 4 headers all collect in the same spot and continue as 1 pipe, huge top end results, especially with the duplex crossovers from yosh!!. A 4 into 2 into 1, is when 2 headers join into 1 first, then shortly after the other 2 join into 1 then the 2 midpipes eventually join into 1! Kind of like a menonite, inbreed family! (joke!). With these full systems a jet kit (PCII for EFI bikes) is strongly recommended for max performance. I believe even on a stock bike the PCII can clean up the fuel delivery as the stock system is never perfect. Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong about all this....

Bulldog, I E-mailed you a pic with the Yosh pipe installed. Hope it helps. Had a Yosh on my 92 GSXR1100. Same great sound.

Okay, I have a question on this one (actually a few questions).

I am a bit strange among you guys, probably, in saying that I REALLY prefer the look of the 2 cans on my Busa. For starters, I'm kind of a wide guy (wider these days than usual <GRIN> ) and like the wide look...maybe I have some illusion that it makes my rear end look smaller if the bike's rear end is bigger <GRIN>. My thoughts have always been that you only wanted a single can if you had a single-sided swingarm. What are the advantages/disadvantages to one can vs. two??

Next question, why does Yosh call their 4-2-1 a Duplex? Because of the 2 in it?

Third question, while I understand the idea behind the Power Commander and what it does, am I the only one here that hates the idea of paying $800 for a set of pipes that need another accessory to work well? Is this just par for the course or does something about the Busa cause this? I have changed pipes on 2 or 3 previous bikes and did not need this done.

Thanks!

Bigdog,I went with a new pipe mostly for the looks. I could have got away with just upgrading the cans for the sound. I don't think I push the bike hard enough to notice much in the way of performance.
When I put a Yosh on my 92gsxr1100, it ran like crap until I put a jet kit in it. The Busa ran almost as bad after the pipe mod. I had the understanding that the Busa fuel injection would/could compensate for the pipe.. Not It had a bad stumble off idle and a backfire off throttle. With the PCII installed,the FI is adjustable and I still have a stock map if I ever want to return it back to stock.

bigdog,my understanding of why the busa doesnt self-compensate for changes is as follows...the fuel inj. on the busa wont adjust itself due to it not being a "closed loop" system. no o2 sensors so the ecu doesnt really know the exhaUST has been changed.this is also why we can get away with scrapping the smog pump.i like the idea that i can adjust it myself anyway. my pcII should be here tommorow and my micron pipe on tuesday.

I have a Yosh Duplex Race 4-1 system on my GSXR1100, tons of HP! and the sound is VERY distinctive, hehe like the rider!

What does the 4-1,4-2-1 look like on the busa? I want to put the same system on my 2000 busa, but the busa's plastic looks like it "wraps" around the rear peg bracket, and I would remove the left rear peg if installed a 4-1 for the looks, plus I hate taking p***engers.
Can someone email a 4-1 picture from the left side!? Thanks, (email is in my user info profile)

...wow, can't even type a-s-s in a word, like pa-s-s-enger.. touchy edit system! lol

[This message has been edited by BullDog (edited 07 October 1999).]

Back