Berkeley Co. Deputies Release Dash Cam Video In Fatal Motorcycle Pursuit

I ran once... and got caught... was in w. spfld Massachusetts.. I was 18 years old on a 1999 Yamaha r6. I was doing about 70 in a 30 and I ran a red light (just turned red) .. I look over in the opposite lanes of traffic, and I saw the lights and heard the siren.. cop blows a U-turn and hes chasing me... I panicked and nailed the throttle... I was way out on him by this time.. I went around a turn and I thought I was outta sight... turned down a sidestreet... went behind a restaurant... then behind a DUMPSTER.... a minute later... I heard the siren closing in and I saw the cruisers headlights... he pulled right in front of the dumpster... felt like the biggest a-hole on earth. he drew his weapon on me, and told me that I better PRAY I own the bike....

Is that why you have a turbo now? Just jokin.

When 18 my buddy and I had exact same bikes, same helmets at school we wore uniforms, so we looked exactly the same. I had fun with an LEO in front of the school, sprinting up and down a road with an island in the middle, LEO chasing me up and down, everyone watching and laughing. Later took off and got away. Half an hour later my buddy rides out of the school gate innocent, knowing nothing about this and they took him straight to jail. Needless to say, I went bailed him out and admitted guilt. Fortunately the Station Commander had some humor, but I still ended up with a hefty fine and a call to my parents.

Allegedly....out for a ride with some friends. Hop on the highway and 4 bikes start to speed up and break away from the group. Naturally I go to keep up. It's late so there is 0 traffic. We do come up and pass 1 car, and as I pass I see a spotlight on the drivers side and a light bar in the back window. Unmarked car (Impala). I look down and see 130-ish on the dash. I thought for a second what I was gonna do and as I do the other bikes take off faster. So I buried it. With -1/+2 gearing, unrestricted, I had the bike maxed out. Dipped off an exit and waited. Heard then saw an unmarked dodge charger come flying by the underpass full tilt. Waited another min to make sure we were good, and rode calmly into town.
Gas light was on as I had not planned on making a high speed run, and when I finally got to a gas station, put in 4.45 gallons of gas.
Also, apparently the Impala knew he had no chance, so they radioed the charger (2 of them in that county) to come get us. We had a head start and we were doing 180+ so we won the race.

Friend of mine has a '12 Busa, stretch and pipe. Got pulled over by town cop he knew for 55 in a 45mph. Just a warning.
A deputy then pulled over to "assist" the town cop. Had no problem with the warning given. But, told my friend he was smart to stop...because he would never have outran the town cop's Charger, as it had a Hemi!
Wtf! Lmao!
Apparently the town cop had to inform the deputy that there was no chance, not ever, and what a sport bike and a Busa could do.
To which he had a hard time beliving!
And we wonder why some cops try...this is why.
I for one am all about education.
I'm happy to school the unknowing, lol.

Last edited:
Friend of mine has a '12 Busa, stretch and pipe. Got pulled over by town cop he knew for 55 in a 45mph. Just a warning.
A deputy then pulled over to "assist" the town cop. Had no problem with the warning given. But, told my friend he was smart to stop...because he would never have outran the town cop's Charger, as it had a Hemi!
Wtf! Lmao!
Apparently the town cop had to inform the deputy that there was no chance, not ever, and what sport bike and a Busa could do.

How stoopid are some of these cops, egos bigger than K2.
No cop car anywhere (apart from certain countries that have hi-performance cop cars and bikes) will stay with a Hayabusa that has the tap turned on FULL.
The one thing that is missed by some runners is the road blocks set up ahead with tyre deflation devices laid across the tarmac.
The danger in this is huge.
Moral of the story, if you're going to run, you better be prepared for an intensive effort on the cop's part, because their egos DEMAND the capture of the 'road criminal' on the run.
Just DON'T run. End of story.

Wtf! Lmao!
Apparently the town cop had to inform the deputy that there was no chance, not ever, and what a sport bike and a Busa could do.

This was before I even owned the busa. Just a bolt-on GSXR 1000 ;)

Here's my story....
I was returning from the Queenstown Rally in the Summer of '96 with 3 mates all on GSXR1100's and I was on a '85 GPz900A1.
I left a small town named Omarama without filling with gas coz the next town (Tekapo) was the next gas stop and I could make there no problem
I was doing 160kmh (100kmh zone) and I was clocked on radar by a marked police car coming towards me.
Disco lights and siren going... pull over or go?? GO!!
The road was long and straightish with a few curves and medium traffic.
I had that Kawa tapped at 260kmh passing everything like it was parked, and lane splitting with narrow misses of on-coming traffic (two lane road)
I got outta sight of the flashing lights and ducked down a side road ( to Mt Cook) and went about 15kms and hid down a steep bank to the lake.
Waited 45mins and came out, rode back to the main road and my gas went to reserve with only 40kms left in the tank.
I could make it to Tekapo if I rode within the speed limit. I tagged along on the tail of a band of gypsy HD riders and got some strange looks from them lol.
A cop car passed us (on-coming) and kept going. I waited a few minutes and checked the rear view... Cop car right up my jacksie!
I pulled over, claimed she had the wrong biker, but got arrested and put in the car.
She then drove away and my bike was left on the side of the road with keys in it.
I went berserk at her threatening all manner of repercussions if the bike disappeared.
She said " I have I.D.ed you already, you're busted."
I said "Prove it!, you're bluffing."
She said " I'll say your name, then you show your licence and let's see if I'm bluffing or not"
I said "Go on then"
She said my name and said produce your license.
The game was up. She had me cornered good.
The outcome was I was processed at the Tekapo cop shop and charged with
1) Failing to stop for blue and red disco lights
2)Exceeding 200kmh in a 100kmh zone
3) Careless use of a motor vehicle
She never charged me for threatening her thank God!
She drove me the 30kms back to my bike, which was still there, untouched. I rode home, at the speed limit.
I went to court, Judge went easy on me, 9 months loss of license, $1800 in fines and court costs.
If you lose your license here in NZ for 12 mths or more, you must re sit the license all over again.
Slam dunked! Never ran from a cop again, I was 38 years old when that happened, old enough to know better. :race::thumbsup:

They had me once...once(my fingers would get tired telling the times I got away).
Left my house in 03, on my 02 gsxr1k.
Gas light on, or blinking, whichever meant, the bike is about to cut off dummy.
Rode 6 miles to my buddy's house to go riding. Couldn't resist a nice wheelie on the last empty, straight mile. Never saw a car, person in a yard, nothing.
Got to his house, and he wasn't ready.
I said, I'm gonna coast down the hill and get gas(1/4 mile), and I'll be right back.
I'm about to pull out of his driveway and a cop pulls in and blocks me, no lights on.
Instinct says, Run! But, I'de probably have made it 2 blocks and ran outta gas.
Sh*t! Oh well, what's he gonna do anyway??
Gets out, walks around back of car with a smile, and says, " do me a favor" what's that?
"don't ride any more wheelies on X avenue"
To which I said, huh?
He then looked at some writing on his hand and says, "is this your license plate number?"
As he walked in sight of it and said, "yep".
Sh*t!!! Then he says, " do you see that car parked up there?" Nodding towards them a couple blocks up parked on the side of the road (which had just pulled over and parked). He said "they called you in with your plate number...and I had to come down here and act like I was gonna do something about it"(did he really just say that??!!).
"Have you ever been down on the street before?" I had full leathers on and said no.
He said"well I have, and it doesn't feel good".
"Ride your wheelies out of town, and be careful, have a good one!"
Yes sir! Thank you!!!
To this day I have no idea where the do-gooder that called on me was, or where they came from. Also considering what a small population of folks had cell phones back then.
Cop had me, fair and square, careless on my part...and he was cool. I heard alot of similiar stories about him. No longer a cop, but still a reputation as a really good dude all the way around.
Moral of the story, always have lots of gas, and your tag folded up when hoonin.
Lesson learned, game stepped up, lol.

One night I was out on the Long Island Expressway headed west with a friend who was riding his Busa. I was on a restored 1979 Kawasaki Police Bike at the time, and he took off on me. By the time I caught up with him, a highway patrol officer had him on the side of the road, so I rolled past and backtracked around. I came back to the scene and my friend was gone. I finally caught up with him a few miles down the road and we pulled over, so I could ask him what happened. This is what he said: the cop pulled me over and starting asking me about my bike, "how fast is it", and how much did I like it. No ticket or lecture, but the cop told him to get in the high speed lane and open it up all the way - he was going to follow in his marked cruiser and hit him with radar. They both pulled over and the the cop told my friend he clocked him at 180, told him he had a nice bike, and to have a nice day. I still don't believe it to this day, but it definitely happened, I was there!

One night I was out on the Long Island Expressway headed west with a friend who was riding his Busa. I was on a restored 1979 Kawasaki Police Bike at the time, and he took off on me. By the time I caught up with him, a highway patrol officer had him on the side of the road, so I rolled past and backtracked around. I came back to the scene and my friend was gone. I finally caught up with him a few miles down the road and we pulled over, so I could ask him what happened. This is what he said: the cop pulled me over and starting asking me about my bike, "how fast is it", and how much did I like it. No ticket or lecture, but the cop told him to get in the high speed lane and open it up all the way - he was going to follow in his marked cruiser and hit him with radar. They both pulled over and the the cop told my friend he clocked him at 180, told him he had a nice bike, and to have a nice day. I still don't believe it to this day, but it definitely happened, I was there!

...I was waiting for the part where, you circled back around, and got arrested for impersonating a police officer, lol.

That would have been real funny! I probably should have, since I was wearing the CHP gold/blue helmet, and had a Star Trek "star" on my leather. Yeah, I was really going for it back then. Working strobes, flashing lights, front and rear, working siren, calibrated speedo, fully equipped. Here was the bike:

highway1.jpg

If you're stupid enough to run from the police then you're and idiot! that being said you are bigger idiot for trying to to do it on a Harley bagger, at night!
the cop was a doosh and killed him they had the plate off the bike so call it off and arrest him later! instead of endangering the whole city and innocent people!
It's stupid to try to run even if your bike is fast! you just endanger other people! Remember, any bike is a missile and 120mph!

If you're stupid enough to run from the police then you're and idiot! that being said you are bigger idiot for trying to to do it on a Harley bagger, at night!
the cop was a doosh and killed him they had the plate off the bike so call it off and arrest him later! instead of endangering the whole city and innocent people!
It's stupid to try to run even if your bike is fast! you just endanger other people! Remember, any bike is a missile and 120mph!
what if the bike was stolen?? plate useless then...

For the record, forty years ago when I was much younger and full of piss and vinegar, I ran many, many times and never got caught. Over the years I realized how dangerous it was - not only to myself, but to others, so I stopped doing it. Yes, it was stupid to do, but really easy. Now that I am older it's fun to recount the stories and 100 mile an hour wheelies, and all of that. These days, I just pull over. Cops are crazy, and it's not worth getting killed because of a stupid ticket. There are much worse things in life. I will say this - at least around here, the young kids do wheelies in packs, routinely ride between cars, disrupt everything, gangs of bikes everywhere, no respect at all. More like hooligans than hot rodders . . .

For the record, forty years ago when I was much younger and full of piss and vinegar, I ran many, many times and never got caught. Over the years I realized how dangerous it was - not only to myself, but to others, so I stopped doing it. Yes, it was stupid to do, but really easy. Now that I am older it's fun to recount the stories and 100 mile an hour wheelies, and all of that. These days, I just pull over. Cops are crazy, and it's not worth getting killed because of a stupid ticket. There are much worse things in life. I will say this - at least around here, the young kids do wheelies in packs, routinely ride between cars, disrupt everything, gangs of bikes everywhere, no respect at all. More like hooligans than hot rodders . . .
frank... u don't have any cop friends? I know u do.... u gotta network a little... I cant believe they would write u up.

what if the bike was stolen?? plate useless then...

Geebus Cripes man, what if it was stolen? That would be nothing more than a property crime which also does (not) warrant a death sentence. And what if it wasn't stolen which it wasn't? The rider then died for what, evading the police? That's it? Since when does that crime warrant the death penalty? Damn, what's that saying, 'there are none so blind and those who (will) not see'? Sheesh....

Geebus Cripes man, what if it was stolen? That would be nothing more than a property crime which also does (not) warrant a death sentence. And what if it wasn't stolen which it wasn't? The rider then died for what, evading the police? That's it? Since when does that crime warrant the death penalty? Damn, what's that saying, 'there are none so blind and those who (will) not see'? Sheesh....
u have already shown u have zero respect for LE... I would leave it at that... police don't let people go... the guy could have been a murderer/rapist or just commited a crime.. there is usually a reason why people run... god.... some people are sooooo far behind in the race... they actually think they are leading.

The term 'corrections' as applied to prisons or prison guards is utterly ridiculous. "Department of Corrections", "Correctional Officer", what's corrective about those terms? Prisons warehouse people, period.
spoken like a real intelligent guy... thanks for your support citizen.

When people steal motorcycles/cars it is often times in lieu of committing ANOTHER bigger crime.... its a getaway vehicle... strong arm robbery/possible murder... THESE crimes ARE committed quite REGULARLY in NYC... a gangsters life is one long series of crimes... and they commit many many crimes before they are caught... its not uncommon for a drug dealer to be a millionaire... and the low level guys quite simply rob people/businesses every week...

Back