belly wing

shortcut

Donating Member
Registered
my bike was lowered to the max from day one. at times i bottom out and hear the belly wing scraping the asphalt. what is the purpose of the belly wing. is it for aerodynamics?

It is designed to divert air away from the rear tire at high speeds. Supposedly it helps traction at warp speed.

(SpeedAdict @ Jul. 06 2007,03:57) It is designed to divert air away from the rear tire at high speeds. Supposedly it helps traction at warp speed.
I have no idea if that is right or not but it sure sounds good.
biggrin.gif

I'm sure you could take it off with no ill-effects. Afterall, those who install the optional center stand must remove the wing.

Now, that said - are you sure you're scraping the wing...and not your headers? It's common to scrape the headers and even dent them when one lowers the Busa - especially when going over speed bumps!

Mine is hanging on the wall of my shed.

It is for aerodynamics and styling (of course)

It's the 2nd thing I removed after the bicycle reflectors. To me makes the profile look leaner, less bulky.

Oct2006_062b.jpg

Mines gone due to Center Stand. I was doing 190 the other day and I could feel the rear tire floating around a little bit, I have to put it back on for more traction. J/K. I did remove it though
all_coholic.gif

Well you are all wrong!!!
It is there to..............................

Collect every pc of sand that you run over
wow.gif

It diverts the water thrown up by the front tire at SUPER Speeds to provide more rear wheel traction while your eyes look like this  
SHOCKED.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I'm almost certain it serves a number of purposes. I like the look of it. Wished it deflected nails picked up by front tire, but apparently that's not one of it's jobs
laugh.gif

It was taken from Formula One technology.  It serves as a wing to produce downforce to keep the rear wheel planted at speed.  I took it off once and I couldn't keep the rear wheel down.  Maybe I should have installed a center stand for added weight or taken the helium out of the tires.
laugh.gif

(shortcut @ Jul. 06 2007,06:10) my bike was lowered to the max from day one. at times i bottom out and hear the belly wing scraping the asphalt. what is the purpose of the belly wing. is it for aerodynamics?
Its there to tell you when you have lowered the bike too much.
tounge.gif

Back