Top speed aerodynamics

Does the belly wing help?

• Total voters

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
Just curious. I broke the belly wing while loading into Toy Hauler at Maxton. I ran 199.2 with it installed. Obviously I'm shooting for at least another mile an hour...do you think the belly wing actually helps with aerodynamics? I have already relocated the components from the bottom up to underneath the plastics and removed the brackets. Will the wing smooth out the wind around the rear tire or is it more to smooth the wind around the stock exhausts?

Just curious what have you done to your bike?

Stock motor...Brocks exhaust. Triple tree. GPS mod. Brocks map in PC usb. I lower it about 3 inches. Aluminum sprocket. I'll think of something else, but I believe that's the big stuff....I do run a double bubble. They say they hurt more than help on the gen 1 Busa's but it helps me on the gen II Busa since I am 6'1 and 205 lbs.

Aftermarket damper and MR9 fuel, race filter...took my sunglasses off, that picked up 10mph cause I couldn't see right, LoL

Thanks, always like to ask just to see, am getting ready to start doing some to mine to get ready to go back to Texas in Oct.

Any air box mods or just stock besides filter.

Stock airbox...here's a pic of my bike at normal height. Scraped the lower side of the fairing yesterday widing the twisties.

busa.jpg

Yea i seen that about the plastic, you have got me curious about the plastic scrapping now, i have drug my pegs several times but have not noticed the plastic scapping, and my bike is not here it is at my brother shop, but i am going to have to look at my plastic tommorrow and see what it looks like.

Sorry didnt mean to jack your thread.

That's ok, nobody seems to be voting anyway LoL (probably a wind tunnel question...I used to scrape the pegs a lot but took off the feelers cause they are like 2 inches long. Now it's hard to scrape the peg without the boot folding it back first.

I do see some votes here...buy a new one it helps. I would tend to agree, but can anywone say exactly why or know for sure that it helps? Taking the bracket off would shave a little weight (not enough to matter I'm sure). But do you really think the aerodynamics of the wing would help guide the air around the rear tire? I'd really like to hear some voices on this.

I don't have the numbers here at work but do know it makes a difference (probably 3-4MPH).... :beerchug:

it directs the air out and away from the rear wheel and helps to cool off the brakes

Thanks fellas, I had a feeling it made a difference. I'll be looking into another one soon.
New voters, keep the opinions/facts comin if ya gotem~!~
Make me feel better about spending that cash... LoL

I would be interested in seeing the difference in your runs before you fix the panel. Yea I know it could push you farther away from the 200 mark, but what if that piece actually disturbs the air and is slowing you down? ???

It doesn't stick out beyond the bikes silhouette so it’s not having a negative effect on the air passing around the body.

I would be interested in seeing the difference in your runs before you fix the panel. Yea I know it could push you farther away from the 200 mark, but what if that piece actually disturbs the air and is slowing you down? ???

I ran 199.2 in April with the piece...broke it loading up to come home. Went back in May without the wing and only ran 194. But I blame that on the heat and humidity (it rained all weekend and was miserable) and also due to a bad batch of MR9 fuel. It shut both our bikes down and we had to fill up with pump gas, so I can't really make the fair comparison. I think it'd be hard to make a fair comparison by testing on the track on different weekends. I feel it'd have to to be done it in a wind tunnel for true numbers.

Thanks for the votes, looked at them again today and decided to go ahead and order one soon...one other thing, and I know the common answer to this is look in the sponsors but I have been researching for a couple months and yet to locate one. Has anyone seen an aluminum belly wing for the gen II yet? If so , please let me know where.

I've called and emailed a few of the big aftermarket dealers and looked through many sites and search engines and have not been able to locate one yet for a 2008.

Back