Aluminum Belly Wing for Gen II

Dr E

Donating Member
Registered
Well, there is a saying no good deed goes unpunished…well in this case no bad part goes unharmed. The one part of the Gen II that I could not stand was the belly wing, or should I say the pretend belly wing. I always felt that it looked kind of like a duck about to crash after getting winged. Well, while putting Sasha into the studio for her Winter clean up/mods I caught the belly wing on the ramp up the stairs and POP…tore the wing right off the bottom. I was upset for all of about 2 seconds as I knew this gave me the reason I was looking for, making a new belly wing.

I pieced the parts back together of the old wing and created a poster board layout of the right side and then copied that over to the left side. Then, did the layout on to an aluminum sheet, cut out the pattern and began the work of hand forming the curvature. With some time, patience and trimming I now have a solid belly wing that has a matching left side wing. I smoothed the edges, polished the outside, coated the inside black and mounted it up. I am really happy with the finish and feel like the bike is more balanced in her look.

DSC03316 (Medium).JPG

DSC03317 (Medium).JPG

DSC03323 (Medium).JPG

DSC03321 (Medium).JPG

Well, there is a saying no good deed goes unpunished…well in this case no bad part goes unharmed. The one part of the Gen II that I could not stand was the belly wing, or should I say the pretend belly wing. I always felt that it looked kind of like a duck about to crash after getting winged. Well, while putting Sasha into the studio for her Winter clean up/mods I caught the belly wing on the ramp up the stairs and POP…tore the wing right off the bottom. I was upset for all of about 2 seconds as I knew this gave me the reason I was looking for, making a new belly wing.

I pieced the parts back together of the old wing and created a poster board layout of the right side and then copied that over to the left side. Then, did the layout on to an aluminum sheet, cut out the pattern and began the work of hand forming the curvature. With some time, patience and trimming I now have a solid belly wing that has a matching left side wing. I smoothed the edges, polished the outside, coated the inside black and mounted it up. I am really happy with the finish and feel like the bike is more balanced in her look.

You make that wing or buy it:thumbsup:

You make that wing or buy it:thumbsup:

I made the belly wing. I had thought about powder coating but on the stock belly wing, I had formed a tip guard on that wing and after one season of riding, not even powder coating would stand up to the abuse that it takes. Based on nicking that this takes I may go that route this next winter. By extending it forward by 8 inches and having a smooth bottom, this may even out the air flow. We will see.

Wow pan looks great but the bike looks even better.
That's the first time I've seen your steed .
Very nice unique look . Is that a slight color stripe on leading edge
of fairing I can't tell .
I had thougt about going with a white scheme and after seeing yours I think I should have.
Very nice all the way around ! Also like the seat cowl with pad , neat ?
Is that your doing or store bought ?
Have you started a thread or something showning mo' betta pics of her ?

Thanks! There is a leading edge guard I added this year as it trims out the bikes front edge and adds paint protection, additionally, there are 4 other aluminum parts I have hand formed on the bike, and a custom backrest (https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-...4923-dr-es-busa-backrest-instruction-doc.html). I like style and the ability to protect the looks of the bike.

The seat was done by Tobin. I have a bunch of pics of her but I just looked and realized that I did not do a build thread here when she was converted over from a Pumpkin bike.

It's totally retro looking with Suzuki written on tank .
I like the color placement as well.
White wheels set it off too .
I think it's Blancas 'good' twin !
The Kanji with abscense of Hayabusa is also neat.
If you don't know you don't need to know with that, subtle .

I wish someone would come out with a front fairing mod that can smooth out the turn signal / intake scoops. They look really bulbous to me on all GenIIs . Would be neat to somehow smooth them out and make them more flat on the bike .
If you cut down the turn signal lense and reshaped it it would look nice .
Waiting for someone to do that ?

Looks pretty good! Linex would help keep it from getting nicked up! You could get it colored match in that stuff I think too! Or at least close to it!

Brilliant execution...happy marriage of form and function if I may say so. Any chance you'd be making more of dem wings? cost?

Love the wing. Post your templet or pm it if you don't want to make them. I have a guy that does metal work that could make me one.
I wonder if you coated the bottom of it with Rhino liner would protect it, (have to smooth the finish). Mine's black underneath. :bowdown: :thumbsup:

Always love your bike. Unique, tastefully done, without over doing it. Always fuctional. What year GSXR are the mirrors from and how do you like them? I'm thinking of doing the mirrors that roaring toys sell and adding the mirror extentions. :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Always love your bike. Unique, tastefully done, without over doing it. Always fuctional. What year GSXR are the mirrors from and how do you like them? I'm thinking of doing the mirrors that roaring toys sell and adding the mirror extentions. :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Thank you for the kind words. I ended up going with mirrors off EBay as I was looking for integrated turn signals. Total cost on the mirrors was 45/w shipping. I have had them on for over a year and the amount of visibility is awesome. They are also extended out an inch further then the stocks. I will see about doing a tracing on the wing (Note: I did a one piece billet kickstand last year and so my opening is set to this stand. If you are running a stock stand, the cut would be a little different. Once I get it traced I will scan it and PM you with the image.

Back