Battery question

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
If you jump start the bike and then it dies when you remove the cables, then the battery is probably toast right?

Don

The battery must be completely dead if it won't stay running...
beerchug.gif

Jump start it,let it charge withvehicle running for 15 mins or so,remove cables and if it continues to run get a volt meter and see voltage stator is putting out cause it could be bad...

yes and/or no

First charge the battery correctly... (it puts too much stress on these bikes to bring a dead battery back)
A very basic check of battery quality can be done with a voltmeter and a battery charger.

Put the charger on the battery (bike charger not car please) and watch the voltage.. if voltage goes over say 14.5.. get a new one.. a hydrometer is really needed to verify this but it is pretty reliable

Depending on what RPM the charging system meets system demand, you can have all the bad battery you want and the bike will still run (provided RPMs stay high enough to meet system load) So if the battery is just completely discharged, but still good, it is possible that the bike would die when jumper is removed. (never run the bike without a battery)

Fair enough. I just unhooked it. I am getting a new one with the new engine build.

Don

D
bowdown.gif
o you have allot of draw, after market systems? That can kill a battery, even while you ride it. To much for the charge rate.

D
bowdown.gif
o you have allot of draw, after market systems?  That can kill a battery, even while you ride it.  To much for the charge rate.
Nah, I just haven't started the bike for quite a while. The only things I have on the bike that draw current is HIDs, they draw less than the stockers and my switchback LEDs in the nose.

Don

Make sure you are not user a high amperage charger. Read the side fo your battery, I'm pretty sure if it's anything over a 15 amp then it will short out the battery, I made that mistake of using the 110amp charger that is used for a car battery. Stick to the 2/10 amp chargers, and you don't want to keep the charger on too long.. Be careful with those batteries, they're 90-100 dollars from a Suzuki Dealership.

Since you're doing a rebulld. You might check the stater in the process.

Back