Bar riser alert!

bwilken

Registered
Just so all you 'Busa people out there check into this before it may be too late (it'll cost you $ then) - I purchased a set of the half-height (5/8-3/4") Gen-Mar bar risers for my '01 Busa. In the past, choke cable length had apparently been an issue, but Suzuki apparently added a bit of lenght to their cable in 2000? according to Gen-Mar, so that wasn't supposed to be an issue anymore. Well, I take my bars off (the instructions say to lay them on the gas tank on a towel temporarily), and my bars won't move an inch (literally). PROBLEM - the brake line (reservoir on the right bar) cable is so tight, I could not even lift the bars high enough to slide the riser in. The other one, on the left, has barely enough room to lift 3/4", and since it is bolted to the frame down below (not the fork), I could see turning being an issue also. I bought these bars so I could install them, but I'm not going to mess with bleeding the brakes and putting on longer lines, so my shop is going to be smiling a bit.

Just a fore warning for all you out there aiming for comfort. Looks like it likely would have been cheaper to go for the Heli-bars instead (I didn't want to mess with pulling off all of the stuff off of the bars, but now . . .)

Spring is coming!
mad.gif
angry.gif
cry.gif
mad.gif
:whip:

mad.gif

What year is your Busa? I have both the half height and the full height Genmar risers on my 2000 and it was absolutely no problem reaching that for the brake line. You do have to angle the bars a little while they are out of position over the tank since that is a longer reach horizontally then the risers raise them vertically. You may just have a shorter brake line, or it might be positioned in the clamps differently, or possibly Suzuki has shortened the line to save a few pennies in recent years. I would take another look at it before taking it to a shop to do.
Incidently, I know of other riders who have put the double combination of risers on their Busa with no problem, so it is not just my bike that accomodates it.

Mine is an '01 Model. I did get it to work eventually without taking it to the shop, but it was a bit of a problem. I had to modify the clamps on BOTH brake lines. The line to the front (on the right, I believe) had zero slack, as previously noted. I had to remove the clamp holding it to the fork to give it enough play to get the bars up. Which should be no big deal, except there was a 'funny' joint in the line at the clamp, which concerns me a bit - if it were "just" a clamp, why have this funny joint underneath it? I will send anyone a digital pic who wants to see what I am talking about. On the left bar (rear brake res.?), I removed the wire holder and bent it to allow for about 1/4" more movement. Still some tension, but doesn't seem to bad. Finally, incidentally, the choke cable was BARELY long enough to accomodate this as well (which Gen-Mar themselves said "no problem" when I contacted them prior to ordering) - you can hear the line squeak a bit as you move the bars to the left, but the tension doesn't APPEAR to be severe (it seems to be just the choke cable rubbing on the other cables). So, its done, but its not as perfect as I wish it was!!!
dozingoff.gif
dozingoff.gif

dozingoff.gif

I am glad you got it done ok, and sorry to hear of the problems.  Ride carefully and test the new brake and clutch clearances out on turns, braking, lock to lock, etc before any high speed work, just to make sure something doesn't get into a  bind.  I hope you email Genmar and let them know exactly what you ran into and what you had to do.  I have found them to be very helpful and think they might want to modify their installation instructions if this is what the newer models require.  I am sure they don't keep a new model on hand each year just to check unless the model is known to have changes.  Since Suzuki hasn't announced changes in the Hayabusa, subtle or otherwise, I doubt that Genmar is aware of any changes.  As I said, they went on my 2000 model just like they were OEM specs.  Good luck and have fun.

Its nice to have the kinks worked out I have the genmars on my 2000 luckily I didn't have any problems. Goodluck I really enjoy mine I'm sure you will too.
aktion035.gif

I had the full height riser on my '00 until I changed out the brake lines to Goodridge kevlar. Those lines were too short to work with the riser.

Guys, for a cheap and very effective riser alternative e-mail racingreaper@hotmail.com. He sells a kit that allows you raise your bars 3/4", 1" or 1.25" for about $30. Basically, it includes a set of spacers and extra long bolts and it only takes about 20-30 minutes to install. Very simple and effective. He goes by the screen name Reaper on SuzukiHayabusa.org, some of you may know him.

I have the 1 1/4 genmar riser...Easy install, but the brake fluid resevoir does hit my double bubble now...no problem withe the stock windscreen though.

Back