balancer removal question

GSX

Registered
When removing the counterbalancer, are there any provisions to be made regarding oil flow? Does anything need to be plugged up? Do you need to add any additional oil to the motor since you have more space in the oil pan? Also what kind of hp increase will I get and how much will vibration increase?

Yes you must plug the oil galley in the shaft
No extra oil needed but you will have to drain the oil out to remove it
It depends on the crank if it viabrates more.

This must be a very popular modification as about half of the Hayabusa cranks we get in for our service, the customer request that the balancer gear be removed.

Jay / APE

Hey bigabusa, was that part of the frame splitting thing Numb Nuts posted from some aussie mag?

It is my understanding that the counterbalancer when removed lightens the bike and gives it less internal rotating mass. But I never heard of a frame cracking. My '92 Katana 1100 had no counterbalancer and was a buzzer. Put my hand to sleep on long trips. My ZX11 had a single counterbalancer and was much smoother like the Hayabusa. The Blackbird with twin counterbalancers is the smoothest. You get nothing for nothing in this world...there's always a trade-off! See you Sunday out by Moroso. Your buddie, Mark (I finally got on line! What a hastle with MSN...ended up using AOL *grin*

Balancers, counterbalancers, its all greek to me, but I hope to learn more. Do like a
man on a bike, especially italian men on busas. Waiting for my first ride sundayamrun...but I know i'm in line behind megan for that! *grin* how's the project coming along? ring me up/email me and fill me in. Thanks for a great time last Sat night! kisses to Megan & her master!

[This message has been edited by hayabusaboy (edited 07 August 2000).]

Back