Balancer and oil aeration

OB_Paladin

Registered
We must get a resolution regarding the possible air bubbles resulting from the balancer agitating the sump oil.
Suzuki has a wonderful engine in our Hayabusa, however, if the low-placed balancer is in fact agitating the sump oil, then this engineering situation must be corrected immediately. No accusations or recriminations. All we ask Suzuki to do is address the 'problem' so that all of us don't have this potential disaster hanging over our heads.
I've been around sport bikes for 35 years, and a simple solution would involve isolating the balancer from the oil. If possible, a sleeve could be retrofit to existing engines.
We need Suzuki to work with us on this. They may be concerned with litigation. We need to assure Suzuki that all we desire is that they correct the possible problem. As for the adverse effects of air within the oil, the issue is not even worthy of discussion.
I am very well aware of 'Saving Face', however, this situation could so easily be viewed in historical terms as a 'non event' if only it is corrected quickly , and even quietly. There is no shame involved here. This bike is truly a corporate statement, of which Suzuki can be proud. Lets just make it as perfect as possible.
Anyone with any 'pull' with Suzuki must get them to address this, and sooner rather than later. If there is no problem, then state the engineering facts supporting that position. Any further ignoring the issue will bode ill-will for all concerned if it is shown that there was and is this aeration problem.
Ride safe, and keep the Faith

While there is clearly a _potential_ problem here, I think its premature to be talking about litigating a "slight possibility of a maybe" problem.

As you must know, a certain amount of oil aeration occurs in _all_ non-dry-sump engines. Whether the counterbalance unit on the Hayabusa is causing more than an acceptable amount of aeration -- I don't know, and I'm not losing sleep over it. I will make the assumption that the engineers at Suzuki know what they're doing, until proven otherwise. As you yourself suggest, if they're wrong, it will be incredibly expensive for them to fix the problem.

If you didn't have the window in the side of your engine to see that the oil level goes up slightly after a ride, you'd never know, and you wouldn't be worrying about it.

I suggest that you enjoy the heck out of your 'busa, and relax a bit.

Back