Bad weekend for Pipe

Pipefighter248

Donating Member
Registered
Well figured I would spend this weekend doing a few mods to the bike.
Started out pretty good. Got all the bodywork off and installed a new set of risers to replace my 3/4 Reaper risers. Went with 1" this time. Don't think I can ride two up now, but I'll have to make sure.
Next on the list was to wire in a hardwire for a GPS. I bought one of the cheap cig chargers off ebay and cut the end off like I have on previous GPS's I have installed. Hooked up my new Nuvi to it and it wouldn't turn on. Took it off and now it won't turn on at all.
Looked some on the internet, and found out that there is a circuit board in the wire that reduces the 12V to 5V for GPS and such. Would've been nice to know before I fried out the GPS. Already got a RMA from Garmin for them to look at it; hopefully they will fix it without any questions.
Called it a night after that.
Well first thing Sat. get up and go straight to the garage to install HID's and a 528T timed relay for it.
Got it all wired up and was testing it and the upper fairing slipped out of my hands and hit the fender. Took a big chip of paint out with it. The lights and relay worked; so that was good.
Started install of Rostra electronic Cruise; got it all hooked up and wired into PMR bar switches.
Was going to test it out and was putting the upper fairing back on and rubbed the side on something and took a chunk of paint out of it.
So after that I removed all of the cruise stuff since I was pissed off and put the bike back together and went to shoot guns at Dad's. Practicing my for CC license next Sat.

So for the recap. The good: got the new risers and HID's working.
The Bad: Fried a new GPS, chips of paint missing in front fender and upper fairing, too pissed to finish cruise.
So not a good weekend mod wise.
Will be putting the cruise and switches up for sale soon for anyone interested.

rant.gif

Also, I know my weekend wasn't much for some of the other problems some members had and I do feel sorry for them. Just wanted to share my experience.

Also, I know my weekend wasn't much for some of the other problems some members had and I do feel sorry for them. Just wanted to share my experience.
Nathan,

Sorry about the problems, but maybe you're loss is my gain. I just today ordered a new top bar clamp and a second Nuvi 750 mount and wire to install on the roadstar. Trying to make it look like it belongs there without sticking way up in the air or anything.

So my plan was to cut the wire to the length I needed and hardwire into the ignition switch.
So, where is this chip, or what do I need to do to not have your same problem.

She's still a sweet ride, you'll get her fixed right again.

Dang Pipe, one bad thing after another, eh? Gotta love the days like that. A few days ago, I had the joy of cleaning up a... Lets just keep it clean here and say a mess of epic proportions in one of the restrooms at work. Then got the joy of having to put up with peoples crap, coworkers getting on my nerves, and the such... Just take it in stride, thats all that can be done.

Funny you mention you getting a CC License, I got mine the day after my crap day this week. Good luck Nathan, and hope this weekend goes better for you bro.

Nathan,

Sorry about the problems, but maybe you're loss is my gain. I just today ordered a new top bar clamp and a second Nuvi 750 mount and wire to install on the roadstar. Trying to make it look like it belongs there without sticking way up in the air or anything.

So my plan was to cut the wire to the length I needed and hardwire into the ignition switch.
So, where is this chip, or what do I need to do to not have your same problem.

She's still a sweet ride, you'll get her fixed right again.
Hey Scott, inside of the cig lighter plug is a circuit board the lowers the 12V to 5V.
If you put 12 into the nuvi like I did, it will no longer work.
Using a nuvi 660, not the same as yours but I say it will be the same thing.

HERE is a hard wire kit on ebay. See how it has the oval part; that is the circuit board you need to keep on.
Wish I would've bought that instead of being cheap. Cost me in the long run if Garmin doesn't fix it.

Dang Pipe, one bad thing after another, eh? Gotta love the days like that. A few days ago, I had the joy of cleaning up a... Lets just keep it clean here and say a mess of epic proportions in one of the restrooms at work. Then got the joy of having to put up with peoples crap, coworkers getting on my nerves, and the such... Just take it in stride, thats all that can be done.

Funny you mention you getting a CC License, I got mine the day after my crap day this week. Good luck Nathan, and hope this weekend goes better for you bro.
Thanks Ben.
Just keep your head up.

Went today and practiced some at Dad's.
Was shooting at a 6" bullseye from 25' and hit about 16 every 20.
CC test you have to shoot a full size silhouette from 21 feet.
Using a Colt 38 Special revolver.
thumb_up.gif

Damm I hate those type of days! One thing goes right and something else gets messed up...

On the flip side, PM me how much you want for the cruise and switches....
smile.gif

Thanks Ben.
Just keep your head up.

thumb_up.gif
I always do. Nothing but brightness for me, as the gas station tis but a speedbump on my way to Law Enforcement. And as for you, keep your head up, and next chance I have to get out there, we're going to DQ again!!!! Then Waffle house!!!!
laugh.gif

As for the gun, good aim bro! My Ruger p89 can hit about a 3-4 inch group at 25 yds... Makes it interesting trying to hit my 4" spinner target at 25 yds while standing...

Thanks Nathan,

I'll check it out. And I just ordered a complete Garmin Harness and cable today
guns.gif

Truely appeciate the info.

Pipe, I feel for ya. About two weeks ago, I was moving some cleaning products around on a shelf in my garage. I pushed a bottle of cleaner to the side a little, which pushed the next one a little, and so on. Probably only moved the rest of the bottles a couple inches, but enough that a friggin quarter, yes a 25 cent piece, was knocked off the shelf. It fell and hit the top of my gas tank with the edge. Chipped off a piece about the size of a pinhead (not the pointy side, the friggin colored top part!!) I still cant believe it happened. Just my luck
sad.gif

Wow now I know the rest of the story.. Today's a new day. everything will work out..
bowdown.gif

hate to hear this, i hope things turn around for you soon!
beerchug.gif

Thanks Ben.
Just keep your head up.

thumb_up.gif
I always do. Nothing but brightness for me, as the gas station tis but a speedbump on my way to Law Enforcement. And as for you, keep your head up, and next chance I have to get out there, we're going to DQ again!!!! Then Waffle house!!!!
laugh.gif

As for the gun, good aim bro! My Ruger p89 can hit about a 3-4 inch group at 25 yds... Makes it interesting trying to hit my 4" spinner target at 25 yds while standing...
Sounds good Ben.
My treat again.

Back