Automatic CAM Chain Adjuster...Unsolved Mysteries.

OB_Horse

Registered
Okay -- so what does it sound like --Marbles Well the clutch can sound like that....a Chain Slapping?????

When the bike is cold the Noises are made...perhaps oil is beginning to cover the Metal parts.....hmmmmm.

No noise once warm......now I thought "How come the 2000 Models have the same problem as the 1999???? Is Suzuki that Stupid????Hmmmmm.

I asked My Mechanic Bud & he said "Why Buy the Manual Tensioner?" Your Bike is covered under warranty & chances are if you put the Manual Unit in & screw it up well it voids the warranty" --

What Makes the Automatic Tensioner BAD?
My Bike was Manufactured Feb 2000....
Hmmmmmm.

Horse

Horse, your tensioner is bad because when the engineers designed it they were completely drunk and did the design on a napkin while writing with their wrong hand and belching incessantly.

My bike made a clattering(marbles in the front of tank area)and after I changed to a manual adj. it stopped. My original one seemed fine, but it wasn't putting enough tension on the chain. My noise happened after it had warmed up. The noise was from slack in the chain at a certain point in the rotation(like a bicycle chain). The chain would be loose while the chain was rotating towards the front of the motor(heard in front of tank area). Get a manual one and leave your worries behind. It doesn't require a lot of adjustment and when it does it is easy to do. You tighten it hand tight and then turn another 1/4 turn with a wrench.

Thanks -- looks like I may order the Tensioner Thursday.....appears to be simple
....wonder how you are sure not to overtighten.

Horse

Hmmmm
If you have an extended warranty you have nothing to worry about. Unless of course it would bother you for the local Suzuki shop to have their crack mechanic try and piece your motor back together for the cheapest possible price. You know, like reusing a cylinder head with all those little gouges from valve impact or all the other engine bearings that have had metal particles run through them. And I wonder how long it would take them to get all the parts together and get around to it. Perhaps some people who have already gone through that test by fire would like to reply. Hmmmm

after 2 month's of waiting for the non knowing idiots that work for the local suzuki shop to rebuild my bike bought a new 2000 b/s. let them have my 99 c/s

Actually I believe the original tensioner was subcontracted out to Yoshimura. Not sure about the replacement though.

Not that it matters anyway, Suzuk still has to take full responsibility for it.

I've just passed 4700 miles, no prob here, bike sounds smooth as the day I rolled off the showroom floor. Righteous ride, dare I say it's a religious experience. :)

Mechanical parts break down all the time, it is the nature of the beast, especially this beast. If I had to choose, I would rather my engine self distruct than my wife doing a rear dimount from the frame collapsing.

I think hands down, the frame problem should be getting just as much attention and investigation. Although isolated incidents, who's knows who is next. Hell, my computer fried itself at 2300 miles in Daytona for BW. They told me 1 in 1000 chance. The odds are already against me.

my .02 cents

I agree with Gary Evans, but if you tensioner fails suddenly, say powering out of a bend at high speed, then you ain't going to be worrying about warranties, re-used heads, or anything else. In fact you may not be around to worry about anything ever again!

It is difficult with both this tensioner problem, and the subframe one to work out what the real risk is.

The problem with the web is that things like this get exagerated, a few problems instantly become global knowledge.

The trouble with both these failures is that, even if the chances of failure are vary small, the consequences of failure on a bike with this performance, can be serious!

I believe in minimising risk, and am seriously thinking about fitting the manual tensioner (if I can get one!), and wiring up the subframe as a back-up for two-up use!

This is the best tensioner Suzuki has ever designed. Unfortunately, it was designed for a 4 stroke 20 hp outboard motor and someone mixed up the parts bins.

Back