Are you using any water additive?

I haven’t used it on my gen 3 but I religiously use it on my 69 Pro Street Camaro because I have a big block with 12.5 CR on race fuel, I know for sure it brings my temp down by 7 degrees in Florida as I’ve tested with and without water wetter. I also have all my friends use it.

Water Wetter is good stuff, but I eventually went to Engine Ice, as it's coolant, not an additive.
Water Wetter and Engine Ice also do a much better job of absorbing and giving off heat than regular coolant.
None of these bikes are in danger of not running hot enough either, so the cooler they run the better, every little bit counts.
Once again,
212°f is Boiling, where as 211°f is just really hot...

That also has alot to do with the flash tune you got. Yes the stuff does work on extreme heat engine but not a necessity for these bike. I never hit halfway even in a triple digit day....
Can the tune can reduce max temp engine can get with fans on? My understanding is the tune will typically just turn the fans on sooner to keep temps lower for longer. Maybe more efficient combustion = cooler? I'm not an engine or tuning guy.

With the Engine Ice and 100+deg weather, mine stays around the 1/4 mark. If at speed, mine stays a smidge below the 1/4 mark. If idle, max it will go is a smidge above the 1/4 mark.

Water Wetter is good stuff, but I eventually went to Engine Ice, as it's coolant, not an additive.
Water Wetter and Engine Ice also do a much better job of absorbing and giving off heat than regular coolant.
None of these bikes are in danger of not running hot enough either, so the cooler they run the better, every little bit counts.
Once again,
212°f is Boiling, where as 211°f is just really hot...

CRAP, not water wetter....had it stuck in my head from reading OP and no coffee. Engine Ice is what I am running and for exactly same reason you mentioned, I was able to refill my radiator with it after the header install. It was damn near perfect amount to replace what I removed. My legs don't fry at all now, it's considerably better and it was only May so heat wasn't very bad here yet.

Can the tune can reduce max temp engine can get with fans on? My understanding is the tune will typically just turn the fans on sooner to keep temps lower for longer. Maybe more efficient combustion = cooler? I'm not an engine or tuning guy.

With the Engine Ice and 100+deg weather, mine stays around the 1/4 mark. If at speed, mine stays a smidge below the 1/4 mark. If idle, max it will go is a smidge above the 1/4 mark.

CRAP, not water wetter....had it stuck in my head from reading OP and no coffee. Engine Ice is what I am running and for exactly same reason you mentioned, I was able to refill my radiator with it after the header install. It was damn near perfect amount to replace what I removed. My legs don't fry at all now, it's considerably better and it was only May so heat wasn't very bad here yet.
So the fans kick on at a much earlier point which keeps the engine from getting that hot. 20 ish degrees earlier. Id have to go into my tune to see where its set to be sure though. Before the tune I would be at the halfway mark and after I am Right where you described it. Also most of us got rid of the under bike heat sink when we did exhaust. Im sure not having that thing on there is a huge heat reduction as well.

So the fans kick on at a much earlier point which keeps the engine from getting that hot. 20 ish degrees earlier. Id have to go into my tune to see where its set to be sure though. Before the tune I would be at the halfway mark and after I am Right where you described it. Also most of us got rid of the under bike heat sink when we did exhaust. Im sure not having that thing on there is a huge heat reduction as well.

No doubt about that huge heat sink of the cats being gone, be willing to bet that does more than anything to keep the legs cooler. I'm not quite following, even having the fans kick on sooner, it keeps the engine cooler for a longer period of time.... but ultimately if sitting long enough at idle, the engine temp will still peak at the same temp, right? Or maybe the fans were not spinning at 100% on high in thestock tune, but do now?

The main things cooling the engine after the flash are; no catalytic converter, and a less lean tune that was basically burning hotter for emissions.
Fans on/off sooner is to keep temperatures a few degrees cooler simply by starting to cool things at a lower temperature, which prevents the engine from reaching higher temperatures to start with. But, depending on conditions/outside air temperature, when sitting without air flow, engine temps are still going to rise some.
The fans come on/off 10-15°f sooner, so under normal conditions, they are able to also turn Off sooner...meaning the fans are off and the engine is kept below the temperature that the fans would normally be coming on at.
Again, the higher factory temp settings are for emissions, and the low temperature is mechanically controlled by the thermostat.
And, since the fans can't possibly cool an engine enough to close a thermostat, you end up with an engine operating in a normal temperature range, only it won't run as hot under normal conditions.
Engine-Ice and Water-Wetter are both good for a few degrees too.
Cooler engines tend to live longer, so cooling mods are always good.

The main things cooling the engine after the flash are; no catalytic converter, and a less lean tune that was basically burning hotter for emissions.
Fans on/off sooner is to keep temperatures a few degrees cooler simply by starting to cool things at a lower temperature, which prevents the engine from reaching higher temperatures to start with. But, depending on conditions/outside air temperature, when sitting without air flow, engine temps are still going to rise some.
The fans come on/off 10-15°f sooner, so under normal conditions, they are able to also turn Off sooner...meaning the fans are off and the engine is kept below the temperature that the fans would normally be coming on at.
Again, the higher factory temp settings are for emissions, and the low temperature is mechanically controlled by the thermostat.
And, since the fans can't possibly cool an engine enough to close a thermostat, you end up with an engine operating in a normal temperature range, only it won't run as hot under normal conditions.
Engine-Ice and Water-Wetter are both good for a few degrees too.
Cooler engines tend to live longer, so cooling mods are always good.

The lean aspect, that's the part I was missing for a tune to make the engine run cooler at speed! Thanks!! At idle, would temps be pretty close tune or no tune once it idles long enough? I want to learn to tune, but don't trust myself to know near enough to feel okay about tinkering.

The lean aspect, that's the part I was missing for a tune to make the engine run cooler at speed! Thanks!! At idle, would temps be pretty close tune or no tune once it idles long enough? I want to learn to tune, but don't trust myself to know near enough to feel okay about tinkering.

Air/fuel ratio at idle or riding is going to vary by motorcycle, the model and the individual machine, with any mods, plus conditions.
That's alot of variables.
Only a few tuners that have spent lots of time, and on several different gen3's, could answer that question accurately.

Back