AR-15

Sir T Rex

Registered
A couple of years ago, there was a member that had a "banging" AR-15 on here. He listed the mods and everything else and had some nice pics to go with it. I have used the search function....extensively....and have come up with nothing, nada, zilch, zero.....not a dang thing.

Does anyone know how else I can find that posting/topic. Or if the gentleman that has the AR please post that info again. Its time to get one for me....since I will be deployed soon....I just wanna buy one so that I can do some training with it before I am sent out...

thanks

this one?

untitled.JPG

that is soooooooooo stinking cute. If i got that one, we would have matching AR's....now, that would be to die for....

Planning on becoming a Cop ??

What mods were you particularly inquiring about??
www.ar15.com is a phenomenal forum for assistance in this dept.
this forums beta
www.gunsnet.net
there's a thread right now on which ar would you recommend, with about 175 replies.
i liked my colt 6920, but ammo is stupid high, and it has less than desirable effect, especially on hard objects.
the ak is the shtf gun for me, at least till i can get a 308

yeah, the plans are to become a cop, but its gonna be my ultimate home defense weapon. After I get a position with a LE department, I will request it to go on patrol with me.

As of right now, I am in the Guard and I want to get some extra training with an assault rifle....to be more tactical if the time comes...

If you are just going to train; Olympic Arms makes a K3B-CAR that is fine for home defense as well. It in NOT a Colt or a Bushmaster but it also does not have the price attached to it that those firearms do. I have a used one that is unmodified other than a scope and a laser designator that has had about 3000 rds put through it and it cycles fine. Here's a pic with a BetaCo C-Mag (100 rds):

ZombieKillr-03.jpg

If you are just going to train; Olympic Arms makes a K3B-CAR that is fine for home defense as well. It in NOT a Colt or a Bushmaster but it also does not have the price attached to it that those firearms do. I have a used one that is unmodified other than a scope and a laser designator that has had about 3000 rds put through it and it cycles fine. Here's a pic with a BetaCo C-Mag (100 rds):

ZombieKillr-03.jpg
saw olympics at the last funshow for $600

Do yourself a favor...Rock River Rulez.

Blows the hell outa everything for the price.

STANDARD FEATURES INCLUDE:

National match trigger, two stage
1" moa @ 100 yrds gaurenteed
Hogue rubber grip
etc,

Quality is superb, all for the price of a bushmaster that has none of these features.

A buddy of mine bought the varmint barrel and put a Barska scope on it and was winning rifle
shooting competitions with it against bolt action rifles...until someone bought the whole setup from him.

There is a reason ROCK RIVER won the DEA contracts  
guns.gif

Rock River

great guns but no disrespect here but its one of the worst choices for home defense. If you want the best home defense weapon then nothing is better than a 12 gauge pump shot gun with a short but legal barrel. The reason is simple. A shotgun is simple to use and does not require a great deal of motor memory skills. second is that if you are in a situation in which you have to use it in your home, you dont have to be exactly on target with it. a rifle and hand gun you will have too. keep in mind that there will be a great deal of distress being experienced at this time so aiming isnt the best for anyone. another very big and i mean big deal is that with a shotgun you dont really have to worry about it going out side the room or at least though your house to the outside. with that rifle or any for that matter. it will go through your house, your neighbors house and your neighbors neighbors house. I think we can all see how dangerous that scenario is... just my opinion....

Do yourself a favor...Rock River Rulez.

Blows the hell outa everything for the price.

STANDARD FEATURES INCLUDE:

National match trigger, two stage
1" moa @ 100 yrds gaurenteed
Hogue rubber grip
etc,

Quality is superb, all for the price of a bushmaster that has none of these features.

A buddy of mine bought the varmint barrel and put a Barska scope on it and was winning rifle
shooting competitions with it against bolt action rifles...until someone bought the whole setup from him.

There is a reason ROCK RIVER won the DEA contracts  
guns.gif

Rock River
very well put, Rock River is top notch, and the best for the money in my book. The only others I would trust my life with would be Armalite or Bushmaster. The rest of those cheap rifle manufacturers can keep their rifles, that includes Colt. Colt is a whole other story all together and being a certified AR15/M16 armorer as well as a LE rifle instructor, I can give you several reasons to stay away from them.

great guns but no disrespect here but its one of the worst choices for home defense. If you want the best home defense weapon then nothing is better than a 12 gauge pump shot gun with a short but legal barrel. The reason is simple. A shotgun is simple to use and does not require a great deal of motor memory skills. second is that if you are in a situation in which you have to use it in your home, you dont have to be exactly on target with it. a rifle and hand gun you will have too. keep in mind that there will be a great deal of distress being experienced at this time so aiming isnt the best for anyone. another very big and i mean big deal is that with a shotgun you dont really have to worry about it going out side the room or at least though your house to the outside. with that rifle or any for that matter. it will go through your house, your neighbors house and your neighbors neighbors house. I think we can all see how dangerous that scenario is... just my opinion....
very good point about the 12gauge being excellent for home defense. 00 Buck is awesome and if you have to use it inside I hope you know someone good at drywall repair. On the penetration issue though, the 223/5.56 cartridge isn't an over penetrating round like many believe them to be.

As for all of the the things that a human body goes through when forced into a life and death situation I would highly recommend the book titled "On Combat" by Retired Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. In my opinion it should be mandated reading by anyone working Law enforcement or serving in the military.

It's hard to beat a shotgun for true home defense, plus...nothing like hearing the rack of a 12 ga. pump to have perps soil their underwear.

As far as Colt goes...
puke.gif
(unless it's a python)

All fine weapons above, but I prefer something more compact and versatile for practical reasons. Here's just one example.

TaurusTitanium357.jpg

I must respectfully disagree. I respect the choice of a shotgun for home defence; however, such a choice should be made with facts considered, instead of long standing myths.

All firearms used in a defensive situations should be aimed at the target somehow, whether it is looking through sights, looking down the top of the barrel, or looking down the slide of an autopistol. The firearm must be pointed at the target to hit the target. Hollywood has given us many bs lines about only having to be close with a shotgun, but the truth is, that at inside the house ranges (10-15yds.), with an 18" or longer barrel, the cone of shot is not wide enough to eliminate the need to aim.

Virtually all firearms/ammunition combinations suitable for self defence are capable of penetrating the interior walls of most homes and still be lethal to those on the other side. The 5.56mm cartridge, in most loadings, tends to penetrate less than typical handgun and shotgun rounds do after going through a typical interior wall. This is one of the many reasons patrol carbines in 5.56 are gradually replacing shotguns as law enforcement's long arm of choice.

I'll agree with you that pump shotguns have a simpler manual of arms than an AR-15. Those who rely on a firearm for self defence should practice/train enough with it to become proficient in its use. The AR-15 is not difficult to become proficient with.

Karl

I must respectfully disagree. I respect the choice of a shotgun for home defence; however, such a choice should be made with facts considered, instead of long standing myths.

All firearms used in a defensive situations should be aimed at the target somehow, whether it is looking through sights, looking down the top of the barrel, or looking down the slide of an autopistol. The firearm must be pointed at the target to hit the target. Hollywood has given us many bs lines about only having to be close with a shotgun, but the truth is, that at inside the house ranges (10-15yds.), with an 18" or longer barrel, the cone of shot is not wide enough to eliminate the need to aim.

Virtually all firearms/ammunition combinations suitable for self defence are capable of penetrating the interior walls of most homes and still be lethal to those on the other side. The 5.56mm cartridge, in most loadings, tends to penetrate less than typical handgun and shotgun rounds do after going through a typical interior wall. This is one of the many reasons patrol carbines in 5.56 are gradually replacing shotguns as law enforcement's long arm of choice.

I'll agree with you that pump shotguns have a simpler manual of arms than an AR-15. Those who rely on a firearm for self defence should practice/train enough with it to become proficient in its use. The AR-15 is not difficult to become proficient with.

Karl
+1

Shotgun are great for home defense, but mainly for the energy they produce on impact and the ease of use. The spread at 25 yds on 12 gauge is usually still in the body mass, so you'd have to aim.
A .223/5.56 hollowpoint round basically explodes on impact from what I've read, so they don't tend to over penetrate. Actually, thats one of the complaints of soldiers, not enough penetration.

Back