gun question

afterhours

Registered
I just came from a local Big 5 sporting goods store, and saw something rembling an AR-15.....only in .22 caliber.

the kid at the counter only knew about "snow boarding" and was no help, and I did not get to hold it because the manager was at lunch and he had the key to the gun locks....

has anyone seen this? shot one? is it just a toy or a real AR-15 chambered for the .22 cartridge.

price tag said "Colt".....and it was under $700.00.

*and it was for sale in a store, which was odd considering cali gun laws.

i have been looking for info online, maybe they just tagged it wrong at the store.

Last edited:
price tag said "Colt".....and it was under $700.00.

*and it was for sale in a store, which was odd considering cali gun laws.

i have been looking for info online, maybe they just tagged it wrong at the store.

im not aware of a colt .22 ar platform. they had some guns that came wiht .22 kits, but im not saying it wasnt one.

you can have an ar platform legal in cali from what my old co worker told me with a couple mods. some are like no deatchable mag. 10rnd is the limit on mag capacity. collapsing stock is a no-no im pretty sure. few others. i would go back and check it out though. they are cool, fun, and cheap to shoot.

NOT AN M16, but a sig is an AWESOME gun!!:bowdown: get one! you can never have enough 22s.
im lookin at a 22 tommygun (simi auto) if you want the full auto $ fun $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ american arms 180 is the ticket:thumbsup: just gotta jump yhrough the ffl hoop$:laugh:

Colt does make an AR-15 platform in .22 LR along with a few of your major gun makers. They started producing them when ammo skyrocketed so people could still afford to shoot and train on the AR platform without breaking the bank with 5.56.

Even though you can buy .22 conversion kits for your AR the barrels for 5.56 do not stabilize a small .22 LR bullet so they started making the dedicated .22 rifles with a much faster twist in the barrels.

They're main purpose is for training as the dimensions are the same plus .22 ammo is dirt cheap. Real fun gun from what I have heard but for a few pennies more you can have the real deal.

They make four diff models as you can see in last pic of side of box .
NEW Colt Umarex OPS .22 layaway ok California ok : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Here's a whole page of them !
Semi Automatic Rifles - Gun Auction - Semi Auto Guns at GunBroker.com

Right now Sig is offering a free dedicated .22 rifle with purchase of one of their .223/5.56 rifles .
I saw one other day at a friends house and it was same as the Colt indistinguishable from it's big brother .
Sig Sauer R522 SWAT .22 522 CA OK ++SALE++ 22 : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

I have an arma lite .223 ar 15, however everybody at some time has had a 10/22 rugar. it is only smart for the other gun makers to get in to the 22 caliber market. colt, bushmaster, arma lite, para ordenice

My brother and I own lots of weapons including M4's, AR's, AK's, I have a G3 and he has a M-14 (both semi auto). And, I have a 3 round burst Colt M4 assigned to me at work. We also bought the GSG5 and the .22 Colt. I cannot tell you how fun they are to shoot and oh so cheep on the ammo.

Paul

yes alot of the gun makers are makeing 22 specifc platforms for ar-15's cheap for the ammo but still plenty of practice on the platform...untill i get my ar-15 built...then ill look for a 22 to practice with.

Another option if you already have an AR platform, several manufacturers of AR parts make a dedicated upper reciever for .22 LR.

Or you can buy a .22 conversion for your AR if your not worried about pinpoint accuracy. This route is much cheaper as they only run about $200 and takes maybe a minute to change the bolt carrier group out. Just be sure to run a few rounds of .223 or 5.56 after your done shooting .22 to clean your gas tube out.

:thumbsup: thanks for that. i looked on colts site and couldnt find it there.

They make four diff models as you can see in last pic of side of box .
NEW Colt Umarex OPS .22 layaway ok California ok : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Here's a whole page of them !
Semi Automatic Rifles - Gun Auction - Semi Auto Guns at GunBroker.com

Right now Sig is offering a free dedicated .22 rifle with purchase of one of their .223/5.56 rifles .
I saw one other day at a friends house and it was same as the Colt indistinguishable from it's big brother .
Sig Sauer R522 SWAT .22 522 CA OK ++SALE++ 22 : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Back