Anyone with a scientific background...what is this~?~

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
What is this, something out of the BLOB movie~?~

This appeared a few days ago in my yard and at first I thought it was ice someone had dumped out of a cup...but I touched it to see and it feels like a gel.

I showed my wife and she had not seen it nor dumped anything...

Whatever it is seems to absorb colors...some is bluish and some is brown but most of it is clear.

I hosed it with water and it seemed to absorb the water and became flat and I thought that was the end of it, but the next day I could tell it was doing something, then two days later it's back to it's original size and gel again.

I have no kids with strange toys

Any ideas what this is~?~

100_1721.jpg

100_1720.jpg

100_1722.jpg

100_1723.jpg

there is some kind of cellulose in diapers and "feminine" protection products that does that...

Outside of that? I would rent the movie "The Blob" so you know how to fight it when it attacks.. :rofl: (I think you need an ice rink?) :rofl:

I was thinking the same thing as Bogus. Perhaps it fell off of a plane, missile, satellite, or shuttle :laugh:

We do have diapers...but this is a long way from the trash can.

Could it have anything at all to do with a septic tank system~?~

The brown dirt area is where the tank is, we had it pumped about three weeks ago, but he was neat about it and did not spill or leave anything laying around~!~

6 inch cement, then a foot of dirt on top, don't see anything coming out of the tank...

Last edited:
Almost looks like desiccant. We use desiccant in our barometers here at work and i dumped some on the ground and kinda looked like that.

I got it! They use that stuff to maintain moisture in flower arrangements. I almost guarantee that is what it is from.

I got it! They use that stuff to maintain moisture in flower arrangements. I almost guarantee that is what it is from.
yea, I have seen something like that..

or maybe the septic company dropped some of their "adsorbent" while they were there?/ are they required to have stuff to do that?

if it is that "stuff" it is basically like a coarse powder till it gets wet, then it gets all gel looking.. maybe he dropped it and it was dry, got wet and you spotted it?

Last edited:
looks like silica gel pellets (think inside the shoe box thingy) they are designed to absorb moisture, would make sense off what you are seeing. They also could have put some down to absorb some "dripping" from the pump job. Look in a shoe box, open the little packet of stuff, put water on it, see how it compares :thumbsup:

That sounds logical, maybe something to absorb the moisture...It's been raining here the last couple days too

Good stuff fellas, thanks~!~

At least now I feel a little easier about this stuff not creeping into my bedroom at night time~!!~ :rofl:

Last edited:
looks like silica gel pellets (think inside the shoe box thingy) they are designed to absorb moisture, would make sense off what you are seeing. They also could have put some down to absorb some "dripping" from the pump job. Look in a shoe box, open the little packet of stuff, put water on it, see how it compares :thumbsup:

That would be desiccant :p

put some red dye number 5 on it and serve it up as jello shots at your next party:rofl:

Back