Anyone Race against a newer 1K lately?

Ft Campbell Busa

Registered
I must say that I underestimated the K7-K8 until recently. I got beat locally by one and just assumed he had some motor work done or something even though it was fairly close. Well, I went out and bought a 2007 GSXR 1K and I am very impressed. After the first ride I came in and told my wife that this bike feels faster than my Busa! I decided to look up the specs and the K7 is 100lbs liter and does make close to 12hp more depending on who's dyno and magazine you believe. The K7-K8 is definitely not something to sleep on if you are on a Gen 1, stock motor, equal bolt ons. Not trying to stir the pot here but I remember reading all the 1K stuff over the years on here and I seriously thought they were much slower than our Busas. Suzuki did their homework on these and the Gen 2 Busas!

My 08 1k has gone so far best of 9.38@149 stock motor, hand clutching,10"out. Only 3 times at the track last year, with a little more seat time and air shifter I bet the time will drip a lil bit more.

My 08 1k has gone so far best of 9.38@149 stock motor, hand clutching,10"out. Only 3 times at the track last year, with a little more seat time and air shifter I bet the time will drip a lil bit more.

Did you use extension or an aftermarket arm? I was told that you could not use extensions while slamming the bike due to the bracing on top of the swingarm. Thanks!

I run a Thompson race light arm. Gearing is -2/+3. Rider is 155 and the bike is stock weight. No clutch mod and stock clutch. That pass was a 1.5 60'. I think with a little more seat time and air shifter maybe a few tenths shaven off. I wont really be taking my 1k to the track this year. I'm focusing on building a Turbo Busa and breaking into the 7s. Its hard to try and dial in 2 different bikes.

I told everyone here around 2 years ago about those 1ks. Mod for mod those gixxers and 10Rs are rolling. My friend had one running 5.30s on a mildy built motor and a 50 shot. With a light rider they are tough to beat. 2005-2010s are flat out rolling. The grudge 1000s are fast but bearings don't seem to last as long as busas.

I must say that I underestimated the K7-K8 until recently. I got beat locally by one and just assumed he had some motor work done or something even though it was fairly close. Well, I went out and bought a 2007 GSXR 1K and I am very impressed. After the first ride I came in and told my wife that this bike feels faster than my Busa! I decided to look up the specs and the K7 is 100lbs liter and does make close to 12hp more depending on who's dyno and magazine you believe. The K7-K8 is definitely not something to sleep on if you are on a Gen 1, stock motor, equal bolt ons. Not trying to stir the pot here but I remember reading all the 1K stuff over the years on here and I seriously thought they were much slower than our Busas. Suzuki did their homework on these and the Gen 2 Busas!

wow...You sold your busa for a 1k. You must be pretty impressed with the 1k. Always thought about them myself. Being a light rider I always thought about the light weight of the 1k. Keep us informed of the performance mod to mod versus the busa.

Hard to beat the technology and weight in the current 1k's.

I still think the Gen-II's are all around the best bike street, track, drag, top speed, comfort, etc..etc.. :beerchug:

If I had time for track days, I would pick up a S1000RR but no time for the bike I have right now... :(

+1 you are right on this one.

I still think the Gen-II's are all around the best bike street, track, drag, top speed, comfort, etc..etc.. :beerchug:

If I had time for track days, I would pick up a S1000RR but no time for the bike I have right now... :(

Last edited:

I really wanted a new BMW since no one local has one but I came across this one for a steal.

wow...You sold your busa for a 1k. You must be pretty impressed with the 1k. Always thought about them myself. Being a light rider I always thought about the light weight of the 1k. Keep us informed of the performance mod to mod versus the busa.

I'll keep you all posted if I am still welcome over here, :laugh:....I have orders to Germany so I decided to sell the trailer, tow vehicle, Busa, etc.....I was at work and someone with orders to Alaska offered me the 1K at a great price. It has a pipe and PC already. I also ordered some lowering links. I am going to lower the front tomorrow. The track will be open again next month here so I have to hurry! I have to see how it does. Shooting for 8.9s on motor eventually! This one will get some Brock stuff of course, strap, gears, and my new favorite fuel ............MR12. This Joker is lite! Much easier to move around my garage, lol. I think for my little mods and bolt on parts that a 1K was a better choice since I need the lite weight against these Jockeys. I look at it like this; the 1K runs good but has limitations the more power you make. The Busa is unlimited, lol. Thanks guys. Will keep you posted. Thanks for helping me from day one on my Busa also. I went from 6.8s (1/8th) first day out to consistent 1.4 60ft and 5.9 passes never touching the motor and being a true street bike! I even rode it from Ft. Benning, Ga to Ft. Campbell, Ky like that!

YellowTroubleEdit.jpg

Last edited:
I told everyone here around 2 years ago about those 1ks. Mod for mod those gixxers and 10Rs are rolling. My friend had one running 5.30s on a mildy built motor and a 50 shot. With a light rider they are tough to beat. 2005-2010s are flat out rolling. The grudge 1000s are fast but bearings don't seem to last as long as busas.

Yep, I am learning about them and the bearings on the big motors. It seems even stock they had some issues with bearings if you do not get that oil changed and pick up cleaned out if you burn up a clutch. It is going to be fun relearning and spending all day online again researching. It appears the K7-K8 Gsxr is the fastest year and the ZX10 I hear is the 04-05? Just like on the Busa, everyone on the other forums have a different opinion on everything from gearing to a tre! I am going 15-46 btw. Stock is 17-43 on this year. Should get my two bills plus out the gate.

I'll keep you all posted if I am still welcome over here, :laugh:....I have orders to Germany so I decided to sell the trailer, tow vehicle, Busa, etc.....I was at work and someone with orders to Alaska offered me the 1K at a great price. It has a pipe and PC already. I also ordered some lowering links. I am going to lower the front tomorrow. The track will be open again next month here so I have to hurry! I have to see how it does. Shooting for 8.9s on motor eventually! This one will get some Brock stuff of course, strap, gears, and my new favorite fuel ............MR12. This Joker is lite! Much easier to move around my garage, lol. I think for my little mods and bolt on parts that a 1K was a better choice since I need the lite weight against these Jockeys. I look at it like this; the 1K runs good but has limitations the more power you make. The Busa is unlimited, lol. Thanks guys. Will keep you posted. Thanks for helping me from day one on my Busa also. I went from 6.8s (1/8th) first day out to consistent 1.4 60ft and 5.9 passes never touching the motor and being a true street bike! I even rode it from Ft. Benning, Ga to Ft. Campbell, Ky like that!

You might miss the comfort and aero of the BUSA on the autobahn once you get over there. Plus not many drag strips so the autobahn blasting and top speed stuff is a little easier (and IMO more fun). :laugh:

Stock up on the clutch parts, depending on your weight you may be going through them. Have fun and post up pics, I've got some great memories over there... :thumbsup:

Did a test ride on a 2008 CBR1000RR, was interested in buying but then heard about the oil problem.

Sure, it feels faster than my Busa, but you have to wind it up. Open the throttle at 60mph in 6th and nothing happens. 100mph on the CBR felt like 130mph on a Busa, so yeah, it felt a lot faster.:laugh:

Did a test ride on a 2008 CBR1000RR, was interested in buying but then heard about the oil problem.

Sure, it feels faster than my Busa, but you have to wind it up. Open the throttle at 60mph in 6th and nothing happens. 100mph on the CBR felt like 130mph on a Busa, so yeah, it felt a lot faster.:laugh:

This is very true! 100mph on this bike feels like 100mph where the Busa, would feel like 70 when doing 100!

Valdosta is having a TNT on 1 Jan. Bring her out there and run the quarter

Appreciate the invite but I will be out of town that day. Also, the 1K will be getting slammed and stretched here before she comes out. I just bought a hardcore 64-70" arm and lowering links. Gonna be low, long, and a lot of gear.....then some gas of course.

Back