Anyone ever used the POR-15 system on a Hayabusa gas tank?

HayaNash

Registered
My brother recently gave me his gen 2 2008 Hayabusa . However it was sitting for 8 years ! Yep so you prob know the story - the fuel wreaked havok and caused massive amounts of rust in the tank , fuel pump , and I assume the lines and the injectors which I haven’t removed yet but plan to and have them sent to a local guy here who can clean them professionally . Honestly I am not that savvy when it comes to these things but decided to undertake this job as a learning experience .
Ok so like I was saying , so I’ve taken the pump out and taken it all apart and cleaned it ( it needed it) but the tank has been a pain in the ass. I wanted to try the least abrasive way to see if I could pull the rust out without 1) wrecking the paint , 2) clogging the system and 3) to remove as little of the coating that still existed to try and avoid using a sealer system . I checked the forums and watched many videos on YouTube and electrolysis seemed like it was worth a shot . So yes I set up the system with jumper cables and a charger and the sodium carb and it was working ! Pulled metal node out one after another after another etc the stuff is never ending . 2 1/2 weeks have passed of doing this and I’m still pulling rust and crap out of there . I would change the solution every 24-48 hours and use new metal objects too . I’m thinking to myself ( this is getting ridiculous ) .
So I looked into gas tank cleaning systems and ended up grabbing the POR-15 . Read a bunch of reviews and from what most say is that the stuff is strong and will take out all the rust - and fast . However , I’ve also read some of those who have had bad experiences with it - especially the sealing/ coating of the tank. I’ve read the instructions and have watched videos where they are using this stuff which requires to the tank to be turned around constantly to coat the inside but most tanks I see them doing this to are smaller round ones where as the Busa tank has a awkward shape with grooves and high spots and the squeeze at the top . I’m not confident that I would be able to do this correctly. Was wondering if anyone has used this system on a Busa or has any advice getting the rest of this rust out ? Thanks ! Will attach some pics of what was done and where I am at now.

F2CF213F-744B-40E2-963A-2F86D8D1B375.jpeg

46BB52B4-5260-488E-9BED-17AFF28417F0.jpeg

115B67E2-8465-46CB-94D3-F70A35C84713.jpeg

34B2029B-F4AB-44C5-AA95-8E5857EACA8D.jpeg

A68A7A37-AC03-4AFC-9073-A461EC447B6D.jpeg

574206EA-3F8A-4160-ABEA-F322E5FE9F5D.jpeg

8BEFA179-A47D-4639-81C7-EF63CDF53C7E.jpeg

5FE9CF0E-2619-4F63-B508-005E5D323E48.jpeg

0F88D255-E024-46B6-8DDB-ECF3E8848BD4.jpeg

My brother recently gave me his gen 2 2008 Hayabusa . However it was sitting for 8 years ! Yep so you prob know the story - the fuel wreaked havok and caused massive amounts of rust in the tank , fuel pump , and I assume the lines and the injectors which I haven’t removed yet but plan to and have them sent to a local guy here who can clean them professionally . Honestly I am not that savvy when it comes to these things but decided to undertake this job as a learning experience .
Ok so like I was saying , so I’ve taken the pump out and taken it all apart and cleaned it ( it needed it) but the tank has been a pain in the ass. I wanted to try the least abrasive way to see if I could pull the rust out without 1) wrecking the paint , 2) clogging the system and 3) to remove as little of the coating that still existed to try and avoid using a sealer system . I checked the forums and watched many videos on YouTube and electrolysis seemed like it was worth a shot . So yes I set up the system with jumper cables and a charger and the sodium carb and it was working ! Pulled metal node out one after another after another etc the stuff is never ending . 2 1/2 weeks have passed of doing this and I’m still pulling rust and crap out of there . I would change the solution every 24-48 hours and use new metal objects too . I’m thinking to myself ( this is getting ridiculous ) .
So I looked into gas tank cleaning systems and ended up grabbing the POR-15 . Read a bunch of reviews and from what most say is that the stuff is strong and will take out all the rust - and fast . However , I’ve also read some of those who have had bad experiences with it - especially the sealing/ coating of the tank. I’ve read the instructions and have watched videos where they are using this stuff which requires to the tank to be turned around constantly to coat the inside but most tanks I see them doing this to are smaller round ones where as the Busa tank has a awkward shape with grooves and high spots and the squeeze at the top . I’m not confident that I would be able to do this correctly. Was wondering if anyone has used this system on a Busa or has any advice getting the rest of this rust out ? Thanks ! Will attach some pics of what was done and where I am at now.

View attachment 1654885

View attachment 1654886

View attachment 1654887

View attachment 1654888

View attachment 1654889

View attachment 1654890

View attachment 1654891

View attachment 1654892

View attachment 1654893
CASWELL is the best stuff that commercially available to coat stuff.... BUT before u can coat the damn tank, you gotta get alllll the rust and oxidation off it... just look for a new tank. ORRRRR find a way to sandblast the guts and remove the junk. That tank looks way beyond throwing a bunch of small bolts and BB;s and metal washers into it and shaking the hell out of it to break up the rust. Thats one strategy... drop ALOT of BB;s into the tank and shake like CRAZY/ along with small bolts and washers, hopefully the impact breaks up the rust. Dont use POR15.... there is NO WAY itll stand up to the ethanol in pump gas. your only hope.... Caswell Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer - All Sizes & Colors

I only have any knowledge about what to use to coat a tank because im looking to protect the guts of a carbon fiber tank. and i ended up looking into it......

Welcome....

If it were me, I'd be looking for another tank that's decent and trash that one...you will only have problems with it down the road....
Welcome....

If it were me, I'd be looking for another tank that's decent and trash that one...you will only have problems with it down the road....
Really tho , even if I keep at it and get all the rust out? I’ve heard of some folks say that skip the sealant process that if you just keep your tank full most of the time the rust won’t come back . I mean look at this thing , what a crying shame !

E9388CF5-62E8-428F-82F5-76811D3F5504.jpeg

CASWELL is the best stuff that commercially available to coat stuff.... BUT before u can coat the damn tank, you gotta get alllll the rust and oxidation off it... just look for a new tank. ORRRRR find a way to sandblast the guts and remove the junk. That tank looks way beyond throwing a bunch of small bolts and BB;s and metal washers into it and shaking the hell out of it to break up the rust. Thats one strategy... drop ALOT of BB;s into the tank and shake like CRAZY/ along with small bolts and washers, hopefully the impact breaks up the rust. Dont use POR15.... there is NO WAY itll stand up to the ethanol in pump gas. your only hope.... Caswell Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer - All Sizes & Colors
Ok so let’s say I get all the rust out and use this Caswell product . How do I evenly coat the inside of the tank ? It’s got such an odd shape that I don’t think it will be as easy as pouring the stuff in letting sit for some time , turning it 90 degrees , sit , turn etc etc . I worry about spots where it may pool or many spots that it won’t get to . Oh thanks for the response btw - appreciate it .

Ok so let’s say I get all the rust out and use this Caswell product . How do I evenly coat the inside of the tank ? It’s got such an odd shape that I don’t think it will be as easy as pouring the stuff in letting sit for some time , turning it 90 degrees , sit , turn etc etc . I worry about spots where it may pool or many spots that it won’t get to . Oh thanks for the response btw - appreciate it .
Do a google search.... the stuff is a glue that is thick to begin with. Ends uo kinda like the clearcoat on a car....... thats how it makes sense in my mind anyway. If ure worried about having enough product... buy the 20 gallon treatment..... i think its the same product as the motorcycle treatment but not sure... give them a call. I can tell u for sure its better than por15.... plenty of failed results with por15. Matter of fact... the caswell instruction have special procedures if u have a failed por15 sealer or failed red-kote liner on a tank already.

Last edited:
Really tho , even if I keep at it and get all the rust out? I’ve heard of some folks say that skip the sealant process that if you just keep your tank full most of the time the rust won’t come back . I mean look at this thing , what a crying shame !

View attachment 1654915
It certainly is sad the interior is so rough....maybe there is some company there who coats the inside somewhere near you...it's worth spending the money to do it right.

I have been on the fence about posting this..... But Certain acids can be extremely aggressive and dissolve rust....... Some will dissolve certain metals if given enough time even.... i would do ALOT of research and if nothing else works.. u might have to break out the big guns. DO THIS STUFF OUTSIDE/ wear a mask.... and gloves... be smart. have the baking soda at the ready... be aware of the risks and dangers. know exactly what u are doing........ stay away from the fumes. Top 10 Most Dangerous Acids....
... this guy got away with just Muratic acid.... some people dilute more aggressive acids. but you gotta do your own homework there, and do it safely.

I have been on the fence about posting this..... But Certain acids can be extremely aggressive and dissolve rust....... Some will dissolve certain metals if given enough time even.... i would do ALOT of research and if nothing else works.. u might have to break out the big guns. DO THIS STUFF OUTSIDE/ wear a mask.... and gloves... be smart. have the baking soda at the ready... be aware of the risks and dangers. know exactly what u are doing........ stay away from the fumes. Top 10 Most Dangerous Acids....
... this guy got away with just Muratic acid.... some people dilute more aggressive acids. but you gotta do your own homework there, and do it safely.
Muriatic will eat paint. And metal if left in it too long. Muriatic I'd dilute or not let it cook more than like 45 seconds at a time.

Muriatic will eat paint. And metal if left in it too long. Muriatic I'd dilute or not let it cook more than like 45 seconds at a time.
i would go even further up the ladder if i was him.. but thats me. u see how horrendous his tank is? i mean... thats ALOT of rust.
......... he fdiluted the SHYT outta the HCI in this video and at first it removed alot of large debris but seemed to oxidize quick afterwards.

Last edited:
This guy man-ed up and took some 32 percent HCI right to these bits.... then used wd40 to prevent rusting... 32 percent pure hci. he lived.
The human body uses HCI to melt and rot away our food for digestion.... pretty efficent fellow... that GOD guy and his HCI.

Last edited:
This guy man-ed up and took some 32 percent HCI right to these bits.... then used wd40 to prevent rusting... 32 percent pure hci. he lived.
The human body uses HCI to melt and rot away our food for digestion.... pretty efficent fellow... that GOD guy and his HCI.
Well yes it does but the space it lives in has evolved into being immune to it. It will burn through intestines etc.

I'd just start low and work your way up the ladder. The paint looks pretty decent. I wouldn't want to burn the paint off by a spill. I'd do like vinegar to start. Maybe step up to CLR next.

I can never get all of the gas out of a tank from the top or the bottom. Not sure hot that plays into the acid treatment then coating. Personally I'd just move on to another tank. I end up painting all my bikes anyway.

Back