Anyone cut their forks yet

SS4Luck

Registered
I know it’s big in the Gen 2 world to cut/space/limit travel with the forks to lower the bikes that are straight line oriented. There’s also the trac dynamic slammer inserts that are more of a plug and play option.

Has anyone gone this route with a Gen 3 yet? I would like to drop the front about 2” and limiting travel to around 1.5-2” is appealing as well

Ya, I agree. The only negative side affect of lowering without straps but using the new bar ends is if you hit a good bump the front fender slaps the nose. Spacer inserts in the fork shouldn't be to difficult, might be worth buying gen2 fork spacer and seeing if it fits the gen3. All the aftermarket guys seem to not post or try anything atm.

I personally worked with Brocks to see if the gen2 blockoffs fit the gen3, so that's now officially listed. I took the chance and it worked out. Be that guy!

Ya, I agree. The only negative side affect of lowering without straps but using the new bar ends is if you hit a good bump the front fender slaps the nose. Spacer inserts in the fork shouldn't be to difficult, might be worth buying gen2 fork spacer and seeing if it fits the gen3. All the aftermarket guys seem to not post or try anything atm.
I may try it in two weeks when I get back from a family vacation. I like the spacer/limited travel idea especially when I’m 2up with my wife on the tail and slamming the hugger into the nose is a concern I’ve always had.

52CA3E57-9B4C-4260-B197-51B71503EF82.jpeg

I know this is too low for most people. But I think this stance, plus a 3” stretch or so, is perfect

I know there’s a bunch of dudes that run straps on the street but it’s kinda of a cheap/bandaid way out IMO.
Definitely not a cheap bandaid way out of it. If you are street racing the bike at all I'd highly recommend you do not cut the forks. When you cut the forks you lose the ability to adjust the front suspension to get weight where it needs to be at. If the bike spins loosen the strap a bit if it wheelies tighten it down you have a way to adjust when you have the strap.
I have cut forks and I honestly regret that the most on my bike out of everything I've done to it.

Definitely not a cheap bandaid way out of it. If you are street racing the bike at all I'd highly recommend you do not cut the forks. When you cut the forks you lose the ability to adjust the front suspension to get weight where it needs to be at. If the bike spins loosen the strap a bit if it wheelies tighten it down you have a way to adjust when you have the strap.
I have cut forks and I honestly regret that the most on my bike out of everything I've done to it.
I might have miss spoke a little
Bit with that. some of the dudes I ride with use straps as the easy way to slam the nose then don’t bother with tuning or adjusting. They just grab a bunch of front brake and rip the strap and send it.

I cut the forks on previous bikes and didn’t mind it and hadn’t given it much thought on this bike as reasons not to. I’m a heavy dude (300+) and ride 2up with my wife frequently and am going to have my entire suspension redone when my arm gets here. I enjoy stiffer suspension on my bikes and on my last one it took cutting the forks and changing spring rates while everything was apart to get the feel I wanted

Admittingly I have done very little digging on lowering the Gen3, but I'm all ears as I wouldn't mind a tad lower. I know the Gen2 was limited due to taper of the forks, I (possibly wrongfully) assumed the forks were tapered as well.
I know some of the FL roll race guys replaced the entire top tree and went to clip on bars, so I’m assuming there is a way somehow. On FB someone sent me this too so I’m assuming maybe with the Brock’s something can be done to go lower? I really enjoy the cockpit aesthetics and don’t want to lose that if I don’t have to, which is why I looked at cutting the forks or going with something like trac dynamic slammer inserts really

16F5ED61-881C-4547-AB90-FF337AA4ADA8.jpeg

I know some of the FL roll race guys replaced the entire top tree and went to clip on bars, so I’m assuming there is a way somehow. On FB someone sent me this too so I’m assuming maybe with the Brock’s something can be done to go lower? I really enjoy the cockpit aesthetics and don’t want to lose that if I don’t have to, which is why I looked at cutting the forks or going with something like trac dynamic slammer inserts really

That's what drew me to the Brock's, I like the fact that it still looks OEM when done. I need put a caliper on the fork tubes one day and see if I can drop it a little more. At this point, I just need to ride the thing. This daily 50-60+% of rain is getting old, lol.

It seems the Gen2, at least for first couple of years when it came out, we were limited to 3/4" drop with a new triple due to the taper. My memory sucks though and that was a long time ago so could be wrong.

I like the look of the last pic you posted. I don't think it'd work for around my area, but it looks awesome.

That's what drew me to the Brock's, I like the fact that it still looks OEM when done. I need put a caliper on the fork tubes one day and see if I can drop it a little more. At this point, I just need to ride the thing. This daily 50-60+% of rain is getting old, lol.

It seems the Gen2, at least for first couple of years when it came out, we were limited to 3/4" drop with a new triple due to the taper. My memory sucks though and that was a long time ago so could be wrong.

I like the look of the last pic you posted. I don't think it'd work for around my area, but it looks awesome.
I’m not home for 10 days or I’d measure too. I’d like to get suspension parts ordered and this is what’s holding me up. I’m ordering new springs for my forks because of my weight regardless. If I can’t get the drop I want out of Brocks stuff I’ll just have him do internal spacers while he’s rebuilding everything I guess.

I’ve been scouring IG pages of Gen 3 busa’s that are big low, and it looks like the majority of them replaced the top tree AND are strapped. I can’t get past the look of a small stretch and a big drop though

001B2813-AB3F-4586-9801-388FD6C46B5A.jpeg

Last edited:
Pulled out of another thread on here, it looks like we can go lower on the forks than advertised.

I’ve pretty much decided to have my forks rebuilt with a 2.5” drop, stiff springs and travel limited. Then once the bike is back together use Brock’s handlebar things to drop the extra inch or so that I want so that I have knowledge the suspension is done right and the visual look I want is done. Then I’ll match the back with links from Schnitz and put a strap on the front to limit uptravel when I’m out being a headache for others. Time to start ordering parts ‍♂️

9C347535-8E4A-468D-A1B1-FE30555A0731.jpeg

Back