Anybody using Hulu.com as your main TV source?

Busaman5000

Donating Member
Registered
While stuck inside the house today I got to thinking... Instead of sending DirecTV nearly $100 bucks a month for stuff I don't even watch, why not build me a new PC and just have it dedicated for downloading movies from netflix and watching free TV from hulu.com?

I would still get to see all my shows that I watch. I could just use my existing broadband connections and I would save a lot of money! Plus I could watch any of my shows at my leisure and I would still be able to watch local High-def OTA programing.

Just looking on Newegg it would cost roughly $600 bucks for everything I would need to build a new rig. I would recoup that money in 6 months time once I canceled DirecTV.

Opinions?

I watch it at work when nothing is going on. Keeps me updated with family guy lol

how difficult is it to use a tv as a computer monitor?
Posted via Mobile Device

cool thanks will it work the other way around? Can you connect a computer monitor to a cable box?
Posted via Mobile Device

how difficult is it to use a tv as a computer monitor?
Posted via Mobile Device
depends on the computer itself..

there are a number of ways to connect S-video/Composite Video/HDMI/d-sub25 and DVI

HDMI is preferred

Easy, one cable, think its called HDMI will connect computer to TV, couple friends have their PC's set that way

cool thanks will it work the other way around? Can you connect a computer monitor to a cable box?
Posted via Mobile Device
computer to tv..... you need either Db15 or dvi(depending on your video card) to either hdmi or rgb depending on your tv
to use a computer moniter with a cable box you need to go from either hdmi/rgb to dvi or db15 they sell the cables and parts at best buy
Monster Cable - Male-HDMI-to-Female-DVI Adapter - U2 HDMI-DV
also alot of new tv's have the db15 or dvi monitor connector already on them!

7129396_sb.jpg

While stuck inside the house today I got to thinking... Instead of sending DirecTV nearly $100 bucks a month for stuff I don't even watch, why not build me a new PC and just have it dedicated for downloading movies from netflix and watching free TV from hulu.com?

I would still get to see all my shows that I watch. I could just use my existing broadband connections and I would save a lot of money! Plus I could watch any of my shows at my leisure and I would still be able to watch local High-def OTA programing.

Just looking on Newegg it would cost roughly $600 bucks for everything I would need to build a new rig. I would recoup that money in 6 months time once I canceled DirecTV.

Opinions?

The one problem i see is if you watch sports you going to miss a lot.
but i do watch hulu all the time to catch up on stuff, but they don't have every episode of the TV shows only some of older ones and they dont get the new ones right away :thumbsup:

THE RES IS GONNA BLOW, i went straight hdtv with direct tv cause even the rewgular programing res was driving me nutz. and i only pay 50 to 60 a month

Back