Anybody ever powdercoat the stock muffler cans?

AJAY

Registered
Checked using the search tool, but didn't find much. The aluminum cans look nice, but get stained kind of easily with the machined finish. Was thinking they'd look even better black with my black frame.

Anybody done theirs? Don't think heat is a problem, but wondering if the finish will hold up over time on a surface that large (scratches / rubs / buffs).

Checked using the search tool, but didn't find much. The aluminum cans look nice, but get stained kind of easily with the machined finish. Was thinking they'd look even better black with my black frame.

Anybody done theirs? Don't think heat is a problem, but wondering if the finish will hold up over time on a surface that large (scratches / rubs / buffs).

You can not powder coat your cans with regular powder. And if a coater tells you that he can he just wants your money. The temp of the muffler will cause cracking and eventually peeling of the coating. There is a process you can do to make them black and that is called a metallic ceramic coating, which is similar to powder, but has temp resistance up to 2000 degrees.

I had a set of stock cans ceramic coated thru at outfit in WA state. Cost was going to be $175 but they didn't come through with what they promised so I got them for free. For (free) they aren't bad. Kind of a dark grey color but they look OK, just not what I was after.

DSCN0486Medium.jpg

DSCN0483Medium.jpg

DSCN0484Medium.jpg

DSCN0481Medium.jpg

I had a set painted in High temp flat black (Autozone baby) and it matched the frame perfectly and never had any problem with them. I have painted my D&D cans with normal canfy redy paint and have not had one issue in the last two years. There is a thread in hear on "painting cans" and it talks about masking out hayabusa logo and then painting. I did that to my stockers and the compliments never stopped. More so than my red D&Ds.

I powder coated mine with super wet black from caswell plating, and put about 8K miles on them.. with no problem.. I know a couple others did the same thing. I have a friend, also a member on here, that PC'd his brocks alienhead on his Gen 2, same results.. only issue is if you try and PC the up pipe, it doesn't work well.. but ceramic works great :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I had a set of stock cans ceramic coated thru at outfit in WA state. Cost was going to be $175 but they didn't come through with what they promised so I got them for free. For (free) they aren't bad. Kind of a dark grey color but they look OK, just not what I was after.

DSCN0486Medium.jpg
That is just the look I am after. They look great!

Honestly don't think the cans get that hot. I have put my hands on them right after riding to make sure I won't burn my motorcycle cover. The stock cans just don't get that hot, although I will bet some of the aftermarket cans might.

does anybody know if the stock pipes from a 08busa fit on a 06 busa???thanks!i just love the looks of the new stock pipes:poke::bowdown:

does anybody know if the stock pipes from a 08busa fit on a 06 busa???thanks!i just love the looks of the new stock pipes:poke::bowdown:
I've also had this question, as I like the Gen II cans and they must be cheap to pick up with everybody swapping them out for more performance.

Right now, still planning to make my Gen I cans look black because the Gen II cans probably won't work with the Corbin bags I plan to install (soon as I get 'em painted).

Can anybody enlighten me as to this "ceramic coating" process? How is this different than powder coating? Is it way more expensive?

WHAT? Those are ugliest things ive ever seen! to each their own i suppose. they are heavy, more weight slower Busa, no arguin on that one.

I've also had this question, as I like the Gen II cans and they must be cheap to pick up with everybody swapping them out for more performance.

Right now, still planning to make my Gen I cans look black because the Gen II cans probably won't work with the Corbin bags I plan to install (soon as I get 'em painted).

Can anybody enlighten me as to this "ceramic coating" process? How is this different than powder coating? Is it way more expensive?
Get some 500* ceramic based rattle can paint from a local store. Scuff the cans and paint them. I ran mine for 2 years like that before getting the HMF system. They got a few rock chips, but nothing noticable unless you were within a few feet of the bike.

fast frog,

im looking only for the looks!you talking about making it slower with more weight?where do you think i live in germany ?and i ride everyday on the autobahn???no i live in f$*$ing california!i only can open it in the nevada desert once a year...:poke:

Last edited:
fast frog,

im looking only for the looks!you talking about making it slower with more weight?where do you think i live in germany ?and i ride everyday on the autobahn???no i live in f$*$ing california!i only can open it in the nevada desert once a year...:poke:
LOL! :rofl:

I still don't think I've had mine past 8500 rpm in 1st gear. It's not that I am afraid, there's just no place around here I can open her up without getting nailed by a cop. As it is, 8500 in first exceeds all the speed limits in the country! :banghead:

Back