Anybody Anodize???

Hey Lycan werent you supposed to send me your stuff for powdeercoating. Also I can do ceramic coating as well:whistle:

i thought about having my parts annodized instead of powdercoating and talked to a guy in town and he said with the differences of the types of aluminum on the frame and associated parts they would all look different colors. personally i would like to see what it looks like. Could bean interesting look

i thought about having my parts annodized instead of powdercoating and talked to a guy in town and he said with the differences of the types of aluminum on the frame and associated parts they would all look different colors. personally i would like to see what it looks like. Could bean interesting look
This is correct and one of the big problems with anodizing aluminum parts. The color comes from dye that is sealed into the semi-porous anodized surface. The color will change depending on how long and at what temp the part is put into they dye tank and the age/strength of the dye (how long the same dye tank has been used for X number of parts). Then there is fading; there is a sealant to protect the dye. Dyed parts will fade if not properly sealed and will fade no matter what. Red is particularly bad, which is why you see pink parts. LOL!

On top of all that is that different aluminum alloys will anodize slightly differently, which leads to different porosity and hence different colors when dyed, and different rates of fading. Even if you dye everything black, they will all eventually end up slightly different shades of "black" in the end.

This is probably why powder coating has overtaken anodizing in the marketplace. Can be done on almost any material and much more consistent results.

FWIW, anodizing is actually pretty easy to do. It's not expensive either. You could set it all up for about $200 in your garage. Of course, you'd have to put up with big vats of acid spewing rotten egg smell, but maybe some people like that!

Back