anodizing parts

john32303

Registered
hi all

i was going to try anodizing some parts. has anyone done this before? anyone know what is aluminum on the bike and what grade?

Thanks
John

What is wrong with anodizing cast parts? Aren't the passenger pegs cast? People anodize those don't they? Not trying to argue, just curious as to why cause I don't know ???
they come out extremely blotchy and off color.. the porosity of the cast material just does not anodize well at all.. in the case of small parts like foot pegs, the anodized ones are usually milled from billet or the part is so small that the blotches and off color are not that noticeable

Powdercoating works much better on cast covers..

Also any welds, hammer marks or anything else that affects the metal's density will stick out like a sore thumb..

Last edited:
well if you polish the part will it smooth over or get rid of the pores?
it helps but the color variations still happen and you can see them on larger areas.. I fought this on our fuel systems a lot.. everything is aluminum and if you run nitro or alcohol, the corrosive properties eat the system from the inside out. All aluminum parts on an a fuel system with any alcohol MUST be anodized (the alcohol is used to dilute the nitro).

So while hauling parts down for anodizing, I grabbed manifolds, valve covers etc and proceeded to learn some $$$ lessons about anodized parts..

I finally settled on "hard anodize" for the fuel parts (has a great color sort of like a really dark titanium) and translucent powder coating for valve covers and manifolds.

All the T6 Aluminum parts colored up nice but the grade of the T6 created color variants too.. just no winning and fighting polished parts on the race rig was futile..

Last edited:
Back