Any Hardwood Floor experts out there?

(Rhythm @ Nov. 24 2006,18:10)
(MrGxr @ Nov. 24 2006,17:08) Nice job on the floor... we thought about putting down hardwood, but decided ceramic tiling would be better for us... two teenagers, their friends, and a dog... here's what we ended up with...
LQQks like your doing a whole makeover n there.  
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

post-12-16918-img_3526.jpg
Yup... tiled 760 sqft on ground floor with 20"x20" porcelain tile, painted the all walls and ceilings, replaced sliding door with single door, replacing base molding, installing crown molding, and tossing around ideas for a new mantle.

beerchug.gif

(rlachermeier @ Nov. 25 2006,08:07) We still have to tile the kitchen and you guys are giving me some good ideas.  Thanks!!!
Check out the 20"x20" tiling if you have the time. They really made a difference in changing the appearance of the room... We did 12"x12" in my Parent's house and 20"x20" in our house... I like the way the larger tiles make the room look bigger. Heres a pic of what the kitchen came out like...

Kithcne.jpg

LQQk like your summer project is turning into a winter project and I thought my wife had me humpn all summer long.
tounge.gif

I am getting time off for the Holidays and then its back to the molding, mantle, and door trimming... At least I have some time off for riding. LOL

Sounds cool ! I refinished our fireplace two years ago using a marble surround with a decorative crown mould mantle. It wasn't hard at all actually, just time consuming being my first time.

Hey rlachermeier, are getting all of this. Just trying to throw out some suggestion since you still have the living room apart.
wink.gif

The livingroom will be after the kitchen. The kitchen will definitely be tile and I do like the looks of the larger tile. At first we thought we would put the same hardwood floor in the livingroom as we did in the hallway and diningroom but now we are thinking of going with a berber carpet instead because we are not sure if a hardwood floor will go with the type of ceiling (dark knotty pine) we have in the livingroom. Plus the livingroom is about 520 sq ft which is more than the hallway and diningroom combined which was about 380 sq ft. Even though it would be alot easier to do because it is more open space than the hallway and diningroom we will probably still carpet that room. Didn't like doing the hallway due to the confined space and face nailing that was required. And I did predrill all the face nails.

Livingroom ceiling

IMG_1527.jpg

Couple more pics of the completed hallway.

IMG_1525.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

Here is a question that has always bothered me about the laminate flooring. Now on the old fashioned hard wood floors the boards were put down the then sealed over to prevent water/pop from getting in the cracks. But on the pre-finished laminate flooring there is no sealer over the joints. I use to work in a cabinet/counter-top shop and I know that water doesn't mix with partical board at all. What stops the water from getting between the boards and under them causing the partical board to swell up like a balloon?

Back