Any dodge dakota mechanics here?

300Busa

Chillaxin...
Donating Member
Registered
My 1999 Dodge Dakota 4x4 5.2 V8 Automatic. I replaced the TPS because it wasn't shifting right. Now it shifts perfect, but still hesitates randomly while you are driving. Doesn't seem to stop it from reving in neutral, only drive. I didn't get it on tape when it was real bad, but here is right after.

- 1999 Dodge Dakota cutting out under acceleration[/url]

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the tranny needs a rebuild. Same happened to one of my older cars. Ended up having to replace the tranny completelely.

Does it feel like its disengaging then engaging randomly?

Have you noticed it getting worse?

Sounds like the tranny needs a rebuild. Same happened to one of my older cars. Ended up having to replace the tranny completelely.

Does it feel like its disengaging then engaging randomly?

Have you noticed it getting worse?

It doesn't feel like a tranny problem. Feels like the motor is cutting out. I think it's getting better actually. I just purchased the truck last week. It sat for awhile, but has newer plugs and wires, etc. I thought maybe there is a bad sensor or fuel problem? It doesn't do it all of the time and there is no check engine light, so I am confused.

Dump some fuel treatment that helps remove water, and fill it with premium and drive it and see if that helps.

Check/replace the fuel filter.

How hold is the ignition coil?

The gas tank was almost empty when I bought it. I put 87 octane in it and just added some injector cleaner today. Not sure how old the coil is, but the wires and cap look fairly new. I have heard that maybe its a bad catalytic converter, maf sensor? Thoughts on this?

what i would do is get ahold of dodge. there will be a voltage that the throttle position sensor needs to be set at. you will need to set it as close to that as you can. my mustang was set at like .999 volts. there should be a very slight adjustment and it will vary your V. i would check that before i bought a tranny.

good luck.

The gas tank was almost empty when I bought it. I put 87 octane in it and just added some injector cleaner today. Not sure how old the coil is, but the wires and cap look fairly new. I have heard that maybe its a bad catalytic converter, maf sensor? Thoughts on this?

Mynewride suggested checking the adjustment on the new TPS.

It could be this or the MAF sensor.

How long have you been driving the vehicle before it started this?

Does it idle OK, and only act up when it has warmed up and you make the engine work (pulling itself)?

I have only had the truck for a week. It idles great, I do notice a slight miss only at 2k rpm. It only acts like this once it has started to warm up and is under a load. I am reading about a IACV valve?

300Busa
I had one last week
missed when cold and wet outside
he had gone to lube and tune and had cap rotor wires plugs installed to fix it
same problem
brought to me
and said that ( I think a sensor is bad )
The Fix
Replaced the Cap and Rotor with OEM Parts
the cap and the rotor both had HIGH RESISTANCE
It seems that everyone wants to condemned electronic parts for some reason
Mostly because they dont understand them and what they do
SO
I hope that helps you
PS
I would put A Cap, Rotor, Wires, and Plugs ( Good ones)

I have only had the truck for a week. It idles great, I do notice a slight miss only at 2k rpm. It only acts like this once it has started to warm up and is under a load. I am reading about a IACV valve?

the IAC is the idle air control valve. i replaced that on my truck. however all it does is allows a bypass for the intake air to allow the engine to idle. when your foot is off the gas pedal the throttle body is fully closed and this is how some manufacturers control the idle is with the IAC valve mounted on the side of the throttlebody. it could cause the miss, but i doubt it.

i

300Busa
I had one last week
missed when cold and wet outside
he had gone to lube and tune and had cap rotor wires plugs installed to fix it
same problem
brought to me
and said that ( I think a sensor is bad )
The Fix
Replaced the Cap and Rotor with OEM Parts
the cap and the rotor both had HIGH RESISTANCE
It seems that everyone wants to condemned electronic parts for some reason
Mostly because they dont understand them and what they do
SO
I hope that helps you
PS
I would put A Cap, Rotor, Wires, and Plugs ( Good ones)

im with you. i think you probably need to check the wires and plugs. replace if necessary. same with cap and rotor.

I changed out the air charge sensor with a buddies and it seemed to help a lot. Is this normal?

Back