Any commercial airline pilots on the .org?

My cousin flies for Northwest (now Delta). His pay and benefits has done nothing but decrease over the last 10 years (he's been flying now for 30). If you don't really LOVE to fly above anything else in life, you are wasting your time. He had the money from his famly to take flying lessons to start; flew bush pilot in Alaska, small airline, regional airline, Northwest flying cargo across the pacific, etc.etc. It's a LONG hard road that not everyone can realize. Having said that, if you LOVE IT beyond anything and am willing to sacrifice for it, then follow your dream; just recognize it's not going to be very easy at all and you are going to have to SACRIFICE.

My wife is a private pilot, she does it for fun, not money.

Bogus: To fly jumpers now, you are supposed to have a commercial ticket. Most of them are trying to put on hours so they can get on with an airline; and you can get a LOT of hours and turbine time at the right drop zone.

Bogus: To fly jumpers now, you are supposed to have a commercial ticket. Most of them are trying to put on hours so they can get on with an airline; and you can get a LOT of hours and turbine time at the right drop zone.
figures they would screw that up too... was never graced to be at an place that had "turbine" either :(

Most at least had big old beech twins and Coolidge had a DC3! whoops!!

I never got to fly the jump plane (182/206 turbo) because it required an HP rating and all I got was my SEL..

Most of the guys flying the jump runs were trying to log hours was all.. Same for the CFI's I met... working on that log book but all were passionate about the job...

very interesting thread. I wlways wanted to be a helicopter pilot, but with as much trouble as i have keeping a car license, i cant imagine the world would give me a third axis to play with.

Mr. Bogus is correct. Helicopter training raises the ante by a significant amount. The last time I checked, most helicopter pilot jobs paid between $40k and $70k. The upside at present does not bode well for return on investment.

But I don't think you can get a speeding ticket in the air... can you???? I mean... no school zones at least. :whistle:

There are speed limits that vary with the type of airspace you are operating in, and for sequencing purposes, controllers will assign speeds you must maintain with very tight margins. When operating in congested airspace around New York, it is not uncommon to get a new speed assignment every five minutes or so.

Violations are treated in a number of ways...up to suspension of license...unemployment.

I'm 24. 25 in feb.

Married wife 1 kid.

I work away from home now and althoguh I like my family, job, and etc my line of work can't keep going forever. I can make a. Living doing several things but I want something more proffesional I guess would be the word. Not so working man. Not that there's anything wrong with it but I wanna try other things.

Pay, is my biggest thing. What is first year pay, and how do pilots get paid. Hourly, per flight, also do you stay overnight on the road or fly home and stay.
Do you get per diem?
Posted via Mobile Device

You're already familiar with what it's like to be away from home for extended periods of time. Last summer I was away from home between 300 and 330 hours per month...for the same money I earned the summer before when I was at work a more reasonable 180-200 hours per month.

First year pay at any regional airline is going to be between $16,000 (Colgan Airlines), and at best $23,000 at one of the higher quality carriers.

First year pay at a legacy airline, i.e. Delta, Continental, United, U.S. Airways is going to range between about $33,000 and $42,000.

Airlines will spend between $10,000 and $20,000 to meet training requirements for their new pilots. This is what they use to justify the ridiculous first year pay.

Mattstang, you'll qualify for food stamps and public assistance as a pilot for a regional airline during the first year...and maybe even the second.

Second year pay is a bit more reasonable...though still not something to write home about. Most regional airlines will pay between $30k and $33k the second year. Legacy airlines pay about $60k to $70k second year.

There's no point seriously discussing legacy airlines at this point. You're not going to get a job there straight out of school for the forseeable future. Instead, you might get to work for a regional airline.

Picking a regional airline to work for is like playing russian roulette with five bullets in the magazine. One out of six is going to grow and prosper, allowing you to upgrade to the Captain position in a reasonable amount of time...which brings pay up to the $65k - $70k range at about year three...and allowing you to build the kind of experience the legacy airlines mandate. Ultimately, if you choose to remain a Captain at a regional airline, you currently should expect to be able to earn about $85k after about ten years of service, and between $95k and $110k annually once you reach the top pay scale wages after fifteen to twenty years with the same company. If your company goes out of business or lays you off...you're starting over again at the bottom somewhere else.

There is no national seniority list. This is a huge problem in this profession that doctors and attorneys don't have. Once you leave one airline for another either by choice or because of incompetent management, your previous experience becomes all but worthless.

If you don't pull the trigger on that empty chamber, you are looking at getting laid off, or perhaps even worse, stagnating at the $35k-$50k level for a decade or longer as your airline shrinks. Such has been my fate. The opportunity to upgrade to the Captain position was available for a few years, but it required being based in New York...and as I've developed other business interests locally, and my wife is established in her profession locally it didn't make financial sense to move or commute for an extra $15k/yr. after taxes.

Pay is generally the greater of what you actually flew, 1/2 of the time you were on duty, or 1/4 of the time you were away from home...unfortunately these are calculated on a monthly basis. Each airline has a different contract. The better airlines will pay you if the flight you were scheduled to operate is cancelled...the less desirable will not in a subtle attempt to encourage you to accept higher risks than are prudent because your mortgage payment is due.

A typical day for an airline pilot can easily run fourteen hours. Here's what I did one day last summer...

0600: report at domicile (home) base to start a four day trip.

0700: depart Cincinnati for Detroit.

0800: finish postflight duties after arriving in Detroit.

0801 - 1230: wander around the terminal. Eat breakfast. Decide to wait for lunch. Search for an electrical outlet somewhere to plug the laptop into. Take some phone calls for my other business interests. Talk my wife through how to shut the water off to one of the toilets because it's leaking. Decide whether to call a plumber or defer fixing the toilet until I get home four days from now. Produce a few "gifts" for the Detroit sanitation department.

1231: report back to aircraft for a 1:00 departure to, of all places, Dayton, Ohio.

1530: back at Detroit again after successfully completing the Dayton turn. Go get lunch. Search for an electrical outlet somewhere to plug the laptop into. Take some phone calls for my other business interests. Chronic fatigue is begining to manifest itself...not from today's work, but the assinine schedules I've been operating for the last couple of months. Wonder what people would think if I laid down on the floor and took a nap? The company is too cheap to have an operations area here where I can go get some rest. Guess I'll go back to the airplane and try to sleep there for an hour or so. After all, our last flight for today isn't scheduled to depart for Greensboro, NC for another three hours.

1700: awakened on airplane by ground staff throwing cases of soda into the airplane for the Flight Attendant to stock. One can of soda ruptured on impact, and now I have sticky Mt. Dew on my shirt and face. Remove tie and shirt, and wash in lavatory sink. The water has a funny odor to it. Hang shirt over passenger seat to dry. There's still an hour and a half before we depart...it should dry.

1730: Call from company. Change of plans. It seems due to thunderstorms, another crew here doesn't have an aircraft for a flight to New York. Dispatch, in their infinite wisdom, has decided that crew should take the airplane we're in. Pack up my 35lbs worth of manuals. Put on cold, wet shirt. Wonder if any passengers are going to notice my nipples are hard while I walk through the terminal.

1800: Call Dispatch. "Just curious where our new aircraft is, as we're scheduled to depart now?" "What's that?" "Our new aircraft hasn't left New York yet?" Debate whether I should vent frustration by yelling the f-bomb inside the terminal. Decide against and allow my blood pressure to rise instead.

1805: Leave the gate area. I learned long ago not to hang around with my passengers...particularly since I'm not getting paid right now...yet somehow I could still get fired for choking one of them after they decide to vent their frustrations on me. I'll find a strategic position elsewhere in the terminal where I can watch for the arrival of our aircraft instead.

2030: Depart Detroit for Greensboro with a full load of pissed off passengers who can't understand how weather can delay their flight when there's not a cloud in the sky over Detroit. Shirt has dried now, but I'll need to wash it again at the hotel in clean water tonight to get rid of the odor. I've been at work over twelve hours now.

2200: Arrive at Greensboro. Wait thirty minutes for the Marriot shuttle to pick us up. Debate walking to the hotel, but not sure how to get there...it's not far. The company found they could save $3/night by putting us in a hotel located at the airport vs. one in a place where there are restaurants and perhaps more importantly, not turbojet aircraft blasting over the hotel all night.

2300: Open door to hotel room. Wash shirt. Iron another shirt that was packed for tomorrow. Try to identify whether that was a General Electric produced turbofan that just caused the glasses on the table to rattle, or if it was a Rolls Royce. Have to get up tomorrow at 0545 to start work at 0600. Better try to get some sleep. Don't start thinking about the fifteen hour workday for five hours of pay...that'll cut another two hours off available sleep time. Wonder if I yell the f-bomb in my hotel room how many rooms will hear it. I can hear the person in the room next to me talking on the telephone as I close my eyes.

2345: Bunch of screaming kids and their equally inconsiderate parents just passed the door to my room. This is going to be a long night.

Per Diem is about $1.50/hr. It used to be $1.65, but the company decided it was more important they buy box seats at the Cincinnati Bengals games, so they got that reduced during bankruptcy.

How old are you?

You are still young enough you can pursue this career. Be advised that the older you are, the less likely it is it will make financial sense to pursue a job at a legacy airline.

Do you have a family?
No wife, no kids, parents live in another state

That helps tremendously. We have a different understanding of A.I.D.S. in our industry - Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome. I've been fortunate, but the divorce rate for pilots I suspect is about double the national average.

Do you enjoy spending time with your family? (that's a serious question...some people don't)
Yes, but I only see them about once a month if that.

That's good.

Do you enjoy spending holidays with your family and/or friends?
Yes

You're going to need a few years before you can reasonably expect to get weekends and holidays off. Once you upgrade, you'll be looking at even more weekends and holidays away from loved ones as you'll likely be among the most junior Captains. Funny thing...people like to travel during holidays and weekends.

How would you feel about being employed in a position where no matter how "good" you are, or how productive you are, it will have no impact on your career progression?
I feel like im in that position now. But flying is something I have always wanted to do but just never pursued it.

Very well, we're at a null here. Be aware that you may find yourself "trapped" at a significantly lower earning level than you're capable of for many years. Don't pursue a career as a professional pilot because the money seems good.

Again, don't let me discourage you if you really want it. My role here, as I wrote before, is to share what the job truly is...not the glamorous vision many have.

I advise people to train for and enter a different profession that provides a greater return on investment...then get their pilot's license and fly for fun. You get to pick what days you fly. If the weather is crappy, you can just stay home. You can choose who you allow to ride with you. You can go where you want, and return when you want. If you want to do a chandelle, lazy eight, or full power stall you can. Flying professionally allows none of these, and it can kill the love of flying. I haven't been in a general aviation aircraft since I started flying for the airlines...that's the last thing I want to do when I get off work now.

Are you aware that the compensation and quality of life has been in decline for airline pilots for almost thirty years now?
No, I was not aware.

Jobs at the legacy airlines that used to pay $300k-$400k today pay $200k-$300k...and chance plays a far greater role than skill, experience, ambition, and qualifications in deciding who gets those jobs. It is far more likely a pilot entering the profession today is going to spend five to ten years as a First Officer at a regional airline earning $40k-$50k, then the rest of their career earning not more than $100k as a Captain. Today there are more regional airline pilots than there are major airline pilots.

Are you aware that once you become an airline pilot and survive the abysmal first year pay if the management of your airline is not successful and you find yourself unemployed you'll be looking at starting over again at first year pay...even if you have twenty years' experience?
Did not know this either. Why is that?

I touched on this during my discussion of the lack of a national seniority list. A new hire pilot with ten years of experience with airline "a" will be junior to a pilot with only six months experience at the new airline.

Again, it isn't all negative...but flight schools aren't going to share reality with you candidly.

I'll answer a couple more questions I didn't get to in the next post, then take a break for a bit.

Most new commercial pilots/instructors get a job teaching others how to fly...

As a flight instructor, I averaged 100 hours per week, and earned the equivalent of $15k / yr. All this, while watching students try to kill me on a daily basis.

I was an exception to some degree because I had no financial help from my parents while struggling through school. I owed about $30k in total when I graduated.

B.T.W. this was 100 hours of time at work per week, not 100 hours of flight time per week.

My personal record for time flown in a month is 184.7 in August 1999. Never again.

The other spectrum is not commercial, but being a private jet pilot. The company i work for has their own private dornier 328 jet, and the pilot acutally just does the radio and instruments. He makes over 100K a year and gets a stipend for all the places they go visit. Im sure those opprotunities are few and far between, but it is possible to work your way into a job like that.

Ahhh, the beloved "dough jet". You are correct, there are lots of jobs outside the airlines. Corporate aviation is very much about who you know. These jobs also historically have been even less stable than airline jobs.

I know a pilot who was offered a job flying for a company in the New York area. The pay was good, though he would be tied to a pager. He moved his wife and kids into a home they bought in the area only to find that within a week of starting with his employer, the company decided to scrap the corporate flight department....on the street.

A truck driving job with wings.....

You can fly a jump plane with a basic license... (probably a good idea everyone but you has a parachute) :)

I got lucky to get my license.. we owned the catering and restaurants at a number of Phx area Municipals and got to be pals with Bob Davies (owned a school)... $35 an hour wet for a 172 straight leg... Bob was my main instructor, the other was a pilot for Peabody Coal... private jet jockey out giving lessons? not sure why he was

You mentioned helo's.... I think that is a whole nother ball game.. ($$$^^^) I think the best rate I found was around double fixed wing?

if it is your passion, you gotta at least get your solo out of the way and go from there.. even if you do not go commercial, you will have a neat experience under your belt... I thought I wanted to go commercial but man, what a mountain that is to climb..

Pursue the dream to the extent you can now because in time, you will regret it if you dont... (community colleges can get most of your ground work out of the way for pretty low $$)

Skydivr is correct that a commercial certificate is necessary to fly jumpers for compensation. Time can be built rapidly through this activity, but it is my belief that flying skydivers mostly teaches one how to fly airplanes overweight and out of balance. There are a lot of accidents in this segment of the industry as eager pilots make poor decisions to keep their employer happy.

inquiring minds want to know about the "flight attendants" :whistle:

But really did you pursue the career for the $$ or the flying?

I do remember when left seat was an easy $125G a year for most airlines (just about the time you started right?)
When salaries dropped in to 5 figures, how many actually quit? how many were committed due to the $$ outlay?

Flight Attendants are mostly a pain. They're not the young, attractive things they used to be before discrimination laws allowed them to balloon to the point where they can't make it down the aisle of the aircraft without turning sideways.

1/3 of them are male...and 90% of them are as interested in you as you are in the female Flight Attendants.

The young ones tend to be drama queens. There is some fun to be had still, but I've never been interested as none of them can hold a candle to my wife.

My cousin flies for Northwest (now Delta). His pay and benefits has done nothing but decrease over the last 10 years (he's been flying now for 30). If you don't really LOVE to fly above anything else in life, you are wasting your time. He had the money from his famly to take flying lessons to start; flew bush pilot in Alaska, small airline, regional airline, Northwest flying cargo across the pacific, etc.etc. It's a LONG hard road that not everyone can realize. Having said that, if you LOVE IT beyond anything and am willing to sacrifice for it, then follow your dream; just recognize it's not going to be very easy at all and you are going to have to SACRIFICE.

My wife is a private pilot, she does it for fun, not money.

Your cousin's experience is the new "normal".

Time for a break from this. I'll continue the career progression path to legacy airline pilot later.

You will need a lot of hrs flying which will take a lot of years. I hope your young. join the air force or navy. Air force has better planes. Good luck. Then try to work for a commercial frieght co. Kallita air, UPS, Fed Ex.

You will need a lot of hrs flying which will take a lot of years. I hope your young. join the air force or navy. Air force has better planes. Good luck. Then try to work for a commercial frieght co. Kallita air, UPS, Fed Ex.

The problem with the military route, as I understand it, is that even though you sign a commitment to them with the understanding you will become a pilot they aren't required to honor it. Then you're stuck with whatever they want you to do for however long you signed up for.

Freight is where the money is at present, for certain. Just be prepared to spend the rest of your life responding to the question everyone asks....

"So when do you think you'll be qualified to fly people?" :banghead:

Ultimately nearly all pilots fly freight...the difference is at United or Delta most of the freight is self-loading and self-unloading.

I can tell you the MOST Fun I ever had AND the MOST $$$$$ I ever made (and I have an Airline Transport Rating - (Typed in 727's) ) was the 2 years I spend as a Spray Pilot. And YES, you have to go to a seperate school and get a Spray Lis, BUT, man is if FUN :cheerleader:

I can't join military or I wouldve out of high school. So that's deff out. I can't really justify to pay that much to make the same or less than I make now, several years down the road.
If I were single or still searching a career, or didn't have another option I would be all about it. Pipelining still has a few good years I can pay off some more and save more in those years and re-evaluate then vs. Leaving a lot of money behind and still not be home.
Posted via Mobile Device

I fly powered parachutes, no license necessary and they cost about 12k...

894029619_c557ec4773.jpg

895496018_e531d3638b.jpg

Bogus: I was on the last load Mr. Douglas (Famous DC3 Jumpplane) ever flew...

F=MA: There's a lot to be learned flying jumpers overweight and out of balance :laugh: Ever see the skydiving video where they stalled a CASA about 15 years ago?

Djsin: I've been eyeing one of those backpack models for a year; My dad has 3 grass strips on his farm that would be PERFECT for it.

Mattstang: You will find that many, MANY pilots got their training thru the military; after all, an ATP cost big $$ and these guys got PAID to learn. Hardly NOBODY get's rotary wing trained in the civilian side anymore just too expensive.

DaCol: I've got a few jumps out of a 727; a la DB Cooper!

Jet_01.jpg

Last edited:
But really did you pursue the career for the $$ or the flying?

I do remember when left seat was an easy $125G a year for most airlines (just about the time you started right?)
When salaries dropped in to 5 figures, how many actually quit? how many were committed due to the $$ outlay?

Sorry, missed this part.

I pursued the career for both. I never had expectations of being a 747 Captain...since I got a late start and had to take a tougher route than some. I loved flying, and wanted to know if I was capable of achieving the dream.

When I was in my mid-20's, the opportunity to earn $50k/yr. seemed pretty good....and within a reasonable amount of time the opportunity to earn $75k/yr. seemed even better. Of course that was thirteen years ago...I was single with no dependents...and hotel rooms were nicer than the house I lived in.

The airline I flew for has a crew base in New York. It's a junior base...meaning new hires and junior pilots are based there. On any given night, there are forty or more pilots sleeping together in the operations area because at $20k/yr. they can't afford to live in New York. Once they get to second year pay at around $32k, they might be able to rent a bed in a "crash pad"...which is basically a single family house jammed full of beds. Pilots rent a bed there (not always the same one) for $250 - $300/month. They often maintain a residence elsewhere and commute by plane to and from domicile at the beginning and end of their trips.

They won't tell you these things while selling their flight school.

Most pilots who are at or near the top of their airlines pay scale won't quit when their pay is cut because they haven't put themselves in a position where they can afford to. I was fortunate enough to see the writing on the wall six years ago, and I started working aggressively to position us so if my employer failed it would be irrelevant to my family's financial security.

Again, if anyone here decides they want to pursue this profession, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to offer support and guidance to the best of my ability. There are some really cool aspects of the job along with the negative. Here are a few:

You are responsible for multi-million dollar pieces of equipment...and a whole lot of lives.

You don't have to take your shoes off while going through airport security. :laugh:

You rarely see or talk to your supervisor...in almost eight years I've had to talk to my boss three times.

If you're senior in your seat, you can enjoy very good schedules that allow you time to pursue other activities/interests. This was instrumental for me before everything fell apart. I leveraged my seniority into a schedule that let me acquire and operate a business on the side. In fact, if the schedules hadn't deteriorated so much I wouldn't have volunteered to get laid off. I'd have been happy to view the career as a part time job while I focused my attention on more economically productive activities.

You get to work with some phenomenal people from all over the world. I can't say enough about the professionals I've worked with on the flight deck. These are first-class people with whom I am greatful to have had the opportunity to spend time with.

If space is available on a particular flight to anywhere...it's yours if you want it and you're senior enough to get it. Our household is beyond the need to travel for free now unless it's something relatively unimportant, but in the early years it was a nice benefit. There was a time when we were consuming about $6k a year worth of travel benefits...but that was before the economic uncertainty motivated me to pick up the business...and free time became non-existent.

You have the best office view in the world. If you don't like what you see right now, just wait five minutes for it to change.

Some people are into status...I never have been. If one is status conscious, they'll feel good telling others they are airline pilots.

I am hopeful that someday the pendulum will swing back and the profession will once again be something worth participating in. I have the ability to say no every time the airline asks me to come back until they've attempted to bring back everyone junior to me...roughly 320 pilots. At that point in time I'll evaluate whether it looks like things have improved enough that I feel it's worth going back to. In many ways, this is a "trial seperation" for me, and though sometimes I look at the airplanes flying over my house on arrival and have fond memories, it doesn't take long to remember all the b.s. that comes with the industry.

Thankfully I don't owe $100k on student loans like many of those who were furloughed.

Bogus: I was on the last load Mr. Douglas (Famous DC3 Jumpplane) ever flew...

F=MA: There's a lot to be learned flying jumpers overweight and out of balance :laugh: Ever see the skydiving video where they stalled a CASA about 15 years ago?

Djsin: I've been eyeing one of those backpack models for a year; My dad has 3 grass strips on his farm that would be PERFECT for it.

Mattstang: You will find that many, MANY pilots got their training thru the military; after all, an ATP cost big $$ and these guys got PAID to learn. Hardly NOBODY get's rotary wing trained in the civilian side anymore just too expensive.

DaCol: I've got a few jumps out of a 727; a la DB Cooper!

That photo is beyond crazy! :thumbsup:

Here's another for you.

The photo in the article brings back some fond memories, as I was in Cleveland the day this accident happened. There's a pretty good story behind it.

Another thing I tell people...if you can see a pilot, he or she isn't getting paid. Think about that for a moment.

Last edited:
maybe that was the key.... "For compensation" the jump plane pilots were flying for the hours, not pay.? I was told I could fly jumpers if I got my HP rating (time and money started to come in to play)

If you liked that one, then you'll like these, too (from 1999), sorry about hijacking this thread!

sat14_17.jpg

Image36.jpg

maybe that was the key.... "For compensation" the jump plane pilots were flying for the hours, not pay.? I was told I could fly jumpers if I got my HP rating (time and money started to come in to play)

The FAA will consider "flying for hours" compensation. If it were a jump club who owned their own airplane and a member of the club was a private pilot there might be an arguement for this scenario not being "for compensation".

Most likely the activity took place under the radar...just like some private pilots will charge friends more than a pro-rata share of expenses to take them somewhere...effectively running a "Part 134.5" operation...or illegal charter service.

Back