Another successful track day for your average turbo 'Busa

IG.

Registered
On Father's Day... Weather was perfect... Riding was great... Changing the hearts of non-believers - one rider at a time.

Frank, the motor was smooth as silk and delivered a fine in-corner touch as effectively as the max power. The front saw air many times, and the damper with thicker oil worked great as I wasn't perfectly putting the front down all the time.

Oh, and BT016's were great, and specifically 190/55 rear felt really good, so no more 190/50 for me.

Extra 2 gallons of gas I usually bring with me turned out to be not enough - not a complaint, but rather an observation.

Sorry, no pictures or videos as I stopped taking those a long time ago as they never reflected how it really felt. Although there was a guy behind me a few times who said he shot a good video, so maybe this will turn up.

TeamPromotion (TPM) rocks! I've been with TPM for years, and it is always a good experience - they are very safety conscious organization, and offer lots of school and guidance. As a matter of fact, first time track riders have to take a mandatory ART1 (Advanced Rider Training) class during their first track day. So, if you are thinking about track days, TPM is definitely the way to go. I've known the owner Glen Goldman for many years, not personally although we do chat occasionally, but as the leader of the club - always putting the rider's safety and satisfaction first.

BTW, I ride in group 3 out of total of 4 groups, 1st being the fastest, and 4th being the slowest, so I am not the fastest rider by any means. But I brought a bunch of new bracelet like devices called Fun-Meter and attached to every rider's wrist. At the end of the day, we collected the data, and you can guess who won the day.

Getting back home safely, and reuniting with the family always brings a warm and fuzzy feelings.

Bike cleaned, bugs removed. Wax and TLC applied, and she is resting quietly after a good day of hard work.

I don't even want to go riding now, but I know that by the end of the week I'll get the itch.

If anyone has questions, fire them off.

Did you get pics? How is your suspension set up? A lot of extra weight hanging from the front of the bike.
I know a couple guys who hang corners with a turbo busa. one can ride so good he smokes the other riders who are on 600's and 750's. the extra weight up front doesn't prevent a rider with skill from riding the way he did before it had a turbo.

I agree that it's all about the rider's skill. I have stock suspension, and didn't even bother adjusting it. For my level, I am so far away from exhausting what stock suspension can offer that there is no point of fiddling with it. Most recent suspension adjustment was done by me a few months ago after I got annoyed with the front losing traction for a moment when going over a slight elevation in the road - not noticeable at 60, but very noticeable at... well, can't say. All it took was to soften rebound by one click. Now, the front never leaves the ground in that spot.

The only thing I did at the track was to drop the pressure to 32/32 at 75-80 degrees, and the Sun shining. During riding it got up to 37-38, and tire temp got up to close to 130.

A bit of extra weight on the front may even play a positive role in a couple of places on the track. It keeps the front down longer at a certain spot called "wheelie hill". There is also a tricky turn where the apex is close to the crest of the hill. The front may wash out if it gets too light. Otherwise, I really cannot tell the difference on my level.

Very nice write up, I just did the "Track Day Experience" at our local track where I got to go out and ride on Heartland Park Topeka Raceway over the lunch break following a Pace Rider. We did 4 laps around the track and it was the most amazing time I have had riding in a very long time. I am booked to do the next track days July 12-13th at HPT and cannot wait...

Very nice write up, I just did the "Track Day Experience" at our local track where I got to go out and ride on Heartland Park Topeka Raceway over the lunch break following a Pace Rider. We did 4 laps around the track and it was the most amazing time I have had riding in a very long time. I am booked to do the next track days July 12-13th at HPT and cannot wait...

This is great, and is the kind of experience you remember all your life. I know that it takes some inner effort to push yourself into a bit of unknown territory, but later on in retrospect you realize that it was the right thing to do. Enjoy and have a good time!

Oh, come on! How many of the same pictures one has to see? I am not paying $65 for a CD full of not-so-impressive riding shots.

Trust me that it was FUN. Oh, shortly after I loaded the bike on a trailer, a kid stopped by. "Was that you on a Hayabusa?". I said: "Yeah". He said: "I would've never thought this bike can corner so well"... Another convert, LOL.

How can a picture relay a quiet 10 min break after I loaded the bike, sitting in a shade, and sipping a cold one, playing back in my head all the good stuff, eating a sandwich prepared by my wife the day before and moaning how tasty it was, and experiencing a pure joy of that moment?

Good to see you are out there enjoying the benefits of big HP. I want to know where that fun meter peeked out! :beerchug:

Good to see you are out there enjoying the benefits of big HP. I want to know where that fun meter peeked out! :beerchug:

I think there were times during the day when things just clicked really well. The last session was good, too because quite a few people left/quit before the end of the day, and the track was almost empty. A couple of riders pitted in before the end of the session, and as I was going WOT on the straight the thought crossed my mind "Did I just miss the checkered flag?"

a vid or pics wud have been nice. Glad u enjoyed

I can assure you there is nothing impressive to show. Just had a really good time, it felt good, and ended safely. There was a bit of craziness with crashes, which seems to be a trend during the past few years. Otherwise, we probably could get another session.

My brother is involved with TPM!! I'm getting ready to join up too. He swears I won't have any fun with my Busa. I've got a tail raiser and my rear track tire will be a 190-55. Awesome to hear there is another Busa running track days with tpm. What tracks do you run on? I'll prob be running the vir, ncbike, and Shenandoah tracks.

My brother is involved with TPM!! I'm getting ready to join up too. He swears I won't have any fun with my Busa. I've got a tail raiser and my rear track tire will be a 190-55. Awesome to hear there is another Busa running track days with tpm. What tracks do you run on? I'll prob be running the vir, ncbike, and Shenandoah tracks.

If you are coming to Summit, Id recommend running Summit Main on the Busa. Shenandoah may be a hand full on the Busa.

Back