Another Problem With The Rebuild..

While at work today, welding the parts and frying in the heat, a thought occured to me (rare, but it does happen).
That front fairing plastic.. When I put the headlight assembly in it I noticed there is a gap on the left side between the glass and plastic, and it didn't fit in there the best in the world in general. An outward gap on the opposite side from where I'm having inward problems. This is before I ever put the piece on the bike.
I got the nose plastic from Ebay, it's from a few years back, but I'll have to look at my buy list to remember what year it was off of, and where it came from.
I'm wondering now if the plastic part may have set somewhere hot for a long time, maybe with something on top of it, effectively warping it.
I'm going to take it back off next weekend and do some measuring there. It's possible the problem may lie not with the bike, but with the plastic.

While at work today, welding the parts and frying in the heat, a thought occured to me (rare, but it does happen).
That front fairing plastic.. When I put the headlight assembly in it I noticed there is a gap on the left side between the glass and plastic, and it didn't fit in there the best in the world in general. An outward gap on the opposite side from where I'm having inward problems. This is before I ever put the piece on the bike.
I got the nose plastic from Ebay, it's from a few years back, but I'll have to look at my buy list to remember what year it was off of, and where it came from.
I'm wondering now if the plastic part may have set somewhere hot for a long time, maybe with something on top of it, effectively warping it.
I'm going to take it back off next weekend and do some measuring there. It's possible the problem may lie not with the bike, but with the plastic.

That is starting to make more sense, with the way you described the gap by the headlight.

had the same problem with mine, if that stay is not 100% straight it will not fit, bought one off ebay a while back and it was off just like yours, bought a new one fit perfect like Hal descibed, let me know if i can help u with any dimensions you might need. I really doubt your frame is bent, but you never know.

That is starting to make more sense, with the way you described the gap by the headlight.

Tom, I have a spare nose that I use for my track day setup. It has a small crack in it, but fits perfect. If you need one to check out your problem I'll ship it to you. Also, if you haven't looked at the locating pins on the headlight assy they could be bent out of shape, but I would think that the nose would not fit the side fairings very well. The fairing stay I threw out was OK measuring the way you have on yours, but was tweaked where the rubber bushings are that the pins on the headlight assy slide into. I jacked with that thing for hours trying to make it work before I trashed the stay and got a new one. I feel your pain bro. Let me know if I can help.

Hal I really appreciate the offer. I may well take you up on it later on toward fall. For the time being I'm going to put the sides on it and ride it for a bit without the inners.
Been fighting with it since the end of May, and I'm about tired of messing with it for the moment. Baring something else (haven't put the left side fairing on yet:please:) rearing it's head, I'm going to call it good enough for now.
Have to turn my attention toward the dirt bike for a bit, gotta do some work on it to get ready for fall/winter harescramble season.
I'll shoot you a PM when I return to wrenching on the Busa.
Thanks again for the thought and offer of a test piece.:thumbsup:

I know I had issues with mine until I made 1000% sure the vents in the front were lined up with the ram air tubes. Once those are in place, everything else seems to fall into place. I'm sure yours are in line, but worth a check.

How ya doin Hal?
The fairing stay is a new piece, and I did have to spread the nose (quite a bit it felt) to get it over the ends.
That's what I can't figure out, one side of the inner is fitting farther in than the other, but both (mirror mount) sections measure the same to the center.
I do wonder about the stay since it's an aftermarket (though from a known company, MotoBrackets).
Would be a lot easier if there were more Gen 1 Busas around here. Then I could get a measurement from an OEM one and compare. There is another one around, I seen it once a couple of months ago, but not since. And there doesn't appear to be anyone with a Gen 1 within 200 mile of here on the Org...
I'll do some more measuring later this evening or in the morning and see if I can find something. Don't really want to just throw $$ at it in the form of another stay in hopes that's the problem, without knowing for sure it IS the problem.
I think once I get past this it should be done. Everything else is looking good.

Edit: Will measure to the steering head tube itself, as it's occured to me that the key switch housing may not be centered.
Im only like 230 miles away,if it would help you out i could ride up sometime.Wouldnt be no problem

Back