Another Problem With The Rebuild..

HillbillyTom

Donating Member
Registered
This one has me really scratching my head..
The right side (brake lever side) upper inner isn't wanting to fit. The center mount hole is way off center..
RebuildProblems7-1-2011001.jpg

The left side is a little inward, but with a slight amount of pressure it will line up correctly..
RebuildProblems7-1-2011003.jpg

Windscreen fits perfectly..
RebuildProblems7-1-2011004.jpg

First thought the fairing mount bracket (used a MotoBracket piece) was too narrow, but after thinking on it, I had to spread the nose fairing plastic a bit to get it to go over the bracket arms. Double checked by taking the mirrors loose, and the plastic isn't wanting to come off like I would think it would if the bracket was too narrow..
RebuildProblems7-1-2011007.jpg

RebuildProblems7-1-2011008.jpg

This truely has me puzzled. Everything seems to be right except the plastic inners, but they fit perfectly before.
What do you all think? I'm, temporarily at least, out of ideas.:dunno:

Is the fairing stay itself shifted over or bent in any way, it looks to be the cause of your issue.

Is the fairing stay itself shifted over or bent in any way, it looks to be the cause of your issue.

It's brand new. Wondered about that myself, but everything else is fitting up perfectly.
It's a MotoBrackets stay, so it's possible I guess. But I'd think everything else would be out of line for that part to be nearly 1/2" off.
It's friggen 92 degrees out now, but later on this evening I'll go back out and do some measuring. See if one arm of the stay is in more than the other.

It's brand new. Wondered about that myself, but everything else is fitting up perfectly.
It's a MotoBrackets stay, so it's possible I guess. But I'd think everything else would be out of line for that part to be nearly 1/2" off.
It's friggen 92 degrees out now, but later on this evening I'll go back out and do some measuring. See if one arm of the stay is in more than the other.

Good luck with it. Good idea to step back sometimes.

Well, the puzzle continues. I measured the ends of the fairing stay to the key switch housing, both ends the same to a 1/16". Right side fairing piece fits up perfectly, haven't did the left yet as it's getting hot already and the mosquitos are after me. Underside plastics behind the front wheel are all aligning correctly..
I'll spray myself down with bugspray and mess with it some more early tomorrow morning.

Edit: Thought just occured to me, wondering how the other end of the offending piece will fit to the other section of inner. With the side plastic fitting correctly, that may point me in a "need to know" direction.

You have to spread the nose a little to get it over the fairing stay. I bought a used fairing stay when I had my accident, and although it looked perfect, the inners would not fit just like yours. I bought a new original equipment stay, and the inners fit perfectly.

You have to spread the nose a little to get it over the fairing stay. I bought a used fairing stay when I had my accident, and although it looked perfect, the inners would not fit just like yours. I bought a new original equipment stay, and the inners fit perfectly.

How ya doin Hal?
The fairing stay is a new piece, and I did have to spread the nose (quite a bit it felt) to get it over the ends.
That's what I can't figure out, one side of the inner is fitting farther in than the other, but both (mirror mount) sections measure the same to the center.
I do wonder about the stay since it's an aftermarket (though from a known company, MotoBrackets).
Would be a lot easier if there were more Gen 1 Busas around here. Then I could get a measurement from an OEM one and compare. There is another one around, I seen it once a couple of months ago, but not since. And there doesn't appear to be anyone with a Gen 1 within 200 mile of here on the Org...
I'll do some more measuring later this evening or in the morning and see if I can find something. Don't really want to just throw $$ at it in the form of another stay in hopes that's the problem, without knowing for sure it IS the problem.
I think once I get past this it should be done. Everything else is looking good.

Edit: Will measure to the steering head tube itself, as it's occured to me that the key switch housing may not be centered.

I bet a Factory New OEM fairing stay will make a difference. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that is where the issue is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a bad feeling it may be. Gonna make sure first though.
OEM stay is around $275. Can't send the one I have now, back, so I'll just have to throw the $165 I paid for it in the trash.. That doesn't set too well with me.
If it IS the problem, I'm not above taking it to the shop and "adjusting" it a bit. What will I have to loose?

Did some more measuring, using one of the adjustment buttons on the gauge panel as a center, and once again, both sides of the fairing stay are exactly the same distance from center.
Took the mirrors off and tried the inners then. Left (clutch) side fits, right (brake) side has to have the fairing pushed out to the ends of the mirror mount bolt bosses on the stay in order for the center hole to line up with the bolt hole.. Crazy.
I'll take the nose plastic back off in the morning and have a look at the whole stay.
Being a stainless fabricator and building stuff to square and on size all day for a living, to me, this just isn't making any sense.
As it stands, it's looking like in order for the parts to fit correctly in the center, the right side of the fairing will have to be around 3/16" farther out than the left.

I have checked that the nose fairing alignment pins were in their grommets right, which they were. Everything is on the stay as it should be.
Took the mirrors off and tried fitting the inners. Had to push the nose plastic out quite a bit and the inners still aren't wanting to fit up right.
Posted another thread asking for a measurement of the fairing corners
FairingMeasurement7-3-2011001.jpg

Which the common concensus was, 16" is the distance between the corners on other bikes, as well as mine when the fairing plastic was tight on the stay. In order to get the inners to even begin to align in the middle, I have to push the corners out to 16 3/8". Appearently it isn't the stay that is the problem.
I'm starting to get tired of fooling with it, so I'm going to put everything else together. If all else fits up as it should, I'm going to do some "altering" to the offending inners until they do fit.

Did the bike go down on the right side? Could it be the frame is tweaked slightly? Throwing off the alignment on the right but not the left, because the tweak is not at the front, but further back on the right side.

Initially it did low side on the right, but the biggest plastic damage was on the top (front and rear, tank was only slightly scuffed) and left side. Even the original fairing stay was smashed worse on the left side. I don't know the full sequence as I was busy doing the 70mph rag doll.
I rode 3 more sessions after the crash, hit 100mph a few times, bike was arrow straight, corner entry/exit was still normal, so don't think there is any frame damage. Forks are straight, bar ends were'nt bent, subframe isn't bent, no paint disturbed on the (black) frame that I've seen. The one piece of plastic that wasn't hurt too bad to paint and use was the right side fairing.
I was feeling for anything out of the ordinary when I went back out, so surely if something was 1/4"+ out of whack on the steering end of the frame, it would be noticeable at even slow track speeds.

FairingMeasurement7-3-2011001.jpg

Which the common concensus was, 16" is the distance between the corners on other bikes, as well as mine when the fairing plastic was tight on the stay. Appearently it isn't the stay that is the problem.

Are you sure? It's hard to tell from the angle, but it doesn't look like the 8" mark is in the center of the instrament cluster.

I was standing by the side of the bike, shooting at an angle. The stay arms center on the gauge cluster buttons perfectly. I'll go back out here in a bit and see if I can line sight the whole bike.
But, it still boils back to the deal of.. in order to get the inners to fit together in the center, the fairing plastic has to be pushed out a good 3/8" wider than everyone elses (and mine when the mirrors are bolted on) 16" from tip to tip.

Initially it did low side on the right, but the biggest plastic damage was on the top (front and rear, tank was only slightly scuffed) and left side. Even the original fairing stay was smashed worse on the left side. I don't know the full sequence as I was busy doing the 70mph rag doll.
I rode 3 more sessions after the crash, hit 100mph a few times, bike was arrow straight, corner entry/exit was still normal, so don't think there is any frame damage. Forks are straight, bar ends were'nt bent, subframe isn't bent, no paint disturbed on the (black) frame that I've seen. The one piece of plastic that wasn't hurt too bad to paint and use was the right side fairing.
I was feeling for anything out of the ordinary when I went back out, so surely if something was 1/4"+ out of whack on the steering end of the frame, it would be noticeable at even slow track speeds.

If the frame were tweaked a 1/4" it would likely be more like an inch off at that point of misalignment you have now due to the angles increasing the error.

Just thinking that if all your other replaced parts appear to be straight then the cause of misalignment must be caused by the parts that you are bolting the straight parts to. Maybe put a welding rod, drill stock etc into the mounting points on each side to see if there is a noticeable difference in the angle from it to frame, side to side. Check with a protractor? Just a thought, sounds like you have thoroughly checked the new parts.

I'll see how it goes when I put the two sides on, and how all their inner pieces line up.
Going to be next weekend though, gotta go back to work now. Will be doing 10 hour days all week, and given the heat, the bike is on hold until Saturday. Probably good to have a break from stressing on it for a bit anyway.

Thanks to everyone for all the input and ideas. I'll get it eventually.:thumbsup:

Tom, something somewhere is bent. Thats the problem with a comparitively fragile and exposed bike doing the head over heels style wreck at speed, you never really know what all is bent till you start putting it back together. Been there done that. If thats the only problem you've ran across count yourself lucky :laugh:

Back