another newbie question

sabunim5

Registered
Last week I bought a used 06 with not quite 11K on the odo. The bike seems to be stock except for an HMF dual exhaust system (high mount) an a Power Commander III USB. Bought it from a dealer, so I have no way to talk to the original owner. I am going over the bike, all the standard new owner stuff. Fresh fluids, filters, checking and adjusting settings, pressures etc. Last night I pull the air box to put in new plugs and I find a suprise. Inside the airbox is what I can only describe as green rust. It appears to have diried after being wet. In some places it was so thick it had begun to come off in flakes. The airbox drain was capped and filled with very small, almost dust like flakes. I cleaned out the box and vacumed it. There is what appears to be a brass sensor that had some green corrosion oni it. I cleaned the sensor with a brass wire brush and rinsed with electronics cleaner. I cant imagine that the sensor could be the source of the material in the airbox. There was just too large a volume to be accounted for by the small amount of corrosion on the sensor. This leads me to the two questions I have.
1. Anyone got any idea what is going on with the "green rust".
2. Shouldn't I leave the cap off the drain vent. Just seems to be silly to cap off a drain, but maybe there is some reason I don't know about. Thanks in advance to anyone who might shed some light on this.

You shouldn't get much condensate in those moisture traps and the airbox is either under vacuum or pressure and can't be open to atmosphere unless you want dirt in the motor. I hope it's not antifreeze. Clean it up and get her running.

Experts will be along :welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup:

Another person suggested antifreeze. The material could be dried anti-freeze. I just can't think of many scenarios for the coolant to get into the airbox that are potentially catastrophic. My engine seems to be running strong.

Back