And they think we are STOOpid

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
Don't get me wrong, I love ebay for a lot of things...BUT...

Some of the vendors must think that all Ebay users are dumber than a box of rocks or something...

For instance, the seller suzukiofsarasota972n (must be a business huh?) posted this listing for a Hayabusa jacket

SUZUKI AGV SPORT JACKET, NO RESERVE, HAYABUSA, BUSA

Great!! the rub..... starting bid is $150

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-AGV-SPORT-JACKET-NO-RESERVE-HAYABUSA-BUSA_W0QQitemZ250161759790QQihZ015QQcategoryZ6
750QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Auction page</a>

Not that this is uncommon, I see a lot of these things but doesnt it sort of stretch the meaning of "No Reserve" I have a 2007 Hayabusa for sale, NO RESERVE.. Opening bid is $12,000
smile.gif

Technically he is correct, no reserve. What are you so upset about?

Personally I never bid on anything with reserve. and i never list anything with reserve.

I hate when I see starting bid $.99 and reserve never met after 100 bids.
What is the purpose of such low starting price?

Long time ago if item has 30 bids it goes to HOT item list and draws more attention.

(bogusLogon @ Sep. 09 2007,12:39) Some of the vendors must think that all Ebay users are dumber than a box of rocks or something...
You got it right the first go around...people are stupid!

(Vic_E55_2001 @ Sep. 09 2007,12:46) Technically he is correct, no reserve. What are you so upset about?

Personally I never bid on anything with reserve. and i never list anything with reserve.
so upset about? who said "so upset?" I just noted that if you are going to state "No Reserve" then it should be just that...

Posting a starting bid of say $400 on a helmet with no reserve is just double speak.. sorry if you do not understand that concept. (if you set the starting bid at any number, it is technically a reserve price)

Oh yea he has Hayabusa helmets for sale with no reserve, starting bids are at $400

No, I don`t understand that concept.

some sellers listing $100 part for $300 and taking offers in hope that they can find an idiot who can offer them $200. And i`ve seen that happened many times.

In case of the $400 helmet is pretty much the same fishing technique.

Help me understand what do you mean by "no reserve". So he should list his helmet for $10.00, right? and just wait that maybe it gain many bidders so it will sell close to it real value? What if i doesn`t?

Would you gamble with something like your car and list it for 1/10 of the value?
Would you let it go for 1/5 of it`s value?

How do you feel about buy it now? What if he listed his helmet $10.00 and buy it now price of $400 ?

I feel the same way as bogus. High starting price is ok, so is a reserve. Just don't say no reserve then then start with a VERY high price. If there is a minimum bid, that in itself becomes a reserve. As in, if I don't bid at least $xxx.xx then I can't "bid". That is the same as a reserve in my book. No one has bid on it, but you are unable to bid for a good deal on it.

List it, have a high starting bid but don't list it as no reserve.

(Vic_E55_2001 @ Sep. 09 2007,17:35) No, I don`t understand that concept.

some sellers listing $100 part for $300 and taking offers in hope that they can find an idiot who can offer them $200. And i`ve seen that happened many times.

In case of the $400 helmet is pretty much the same fishing technique.

Help me understand what do you mean by "no reserve". So he should list his helmet for $10.00, right? and just wait that maybe it gain many bidders so it will sell close to it real value? What if i doesn`t?

Would you gamble with something like your car and list it for 1/10 of the value?
Would you let it go for 1/5 of it`s value?

How do you feel about buy it now? What if he listed his helmet $10.00 and buy it now price of $400 ?
actually yes... you should visit a regular auction.. no reserve means no reserve.. if you get .05 on the dollar than so be it... No reserve in the auction world means I will take 1 penny if that is all that is bid

I can tell you that "steals" on Ebay are rare... really rare. You will find that most any item listed will sell at its fair market value and in many cases more than it would cost at some retailers.

I question the tactic and exercise my option not to use the vendor is all.

Listing a "buy it now" price and a minimum is completely different than a "no reserve" auction. I use these vendors on a regular basis as you can cut through the chase and purchase at the price quoted (and they are often just a few bucks less than anywhere else)

I know what you mean, I`ve been on E-bay long enough not to pay attention to auctioneers like that.

That is just one of the things I hate about sleazbay... It is supposed to be an auction site but it has turned into more of an internet storefront... IT isn't an auction when you set the first bid at msrp... Well maybe it is but it is an auction for the dimwitted.
biggrin.gif

(jessup @ Sep. 10 2007,07:32) That is just one of the things I hate about sleazbay... It is supposed to be an auction site but it has turned into more of an internet storefront...  IT isn't an auction when you set the first bid at msrp... Well maybe it is but it is an auction for the dimwitted.  
biggrin.gif
+1

(jessup @ Sep. 10 2007,07:32) but it is an auction for the dimwitted.  
biggrin.gif
there are lots of them around....

fortunately.

I parted out an old Ford truck and sold the manual transmission for $250. This is a transmission that you can get for about $50 in any junkyard in the country. The buyer paid an additional $90 in shipping and was grateful that I didn't charge him for building the crate to ship it in. I didn't have the heart to ding him for the crate as well.

Back