Anatomy of my crash on the track.

Great article, terrible circumstance. Best of luck. Now-a-days they glue the knee back together, well eight years ago that's what they did to a friend of mine. He was running with me three weeks after the procedure.

Why in the sam hell didn't you cover the rear brake? :dunno:

I have had the front tire airborne tens of thousands of times and never once has the rear brake been the means of saving a loop. I hear this all the time "Be careful and don't forget to cover the rear brake". I respond with "If you loop it, you won't have time to fart much less save it with the rear brake". A loop happens very quickly and the chances of catching it with the rear brake is like catching a fly with chop sticks, it ain't gonna happen!

Sorry about your get off. There is no shame in crashin! I've crashed so many times I actually invented ways to crash. Take a few days for the sore parts to calm down and climb back on. The toughtest part is not allowing the crash to torture your mind on the next run. However, the more you crash the easier it becomes to forget the crash and enjoy the thrill of accelleration.

Hey, I want an autographed photo since you are now famous among the bike crew! :thumbsup:

Why in the sam hell didn't you cover the rear brake? :dunno:

I have had the front tire airborne tens of thousands of times and never once has the rear brake been the means of saving a loop. I hear this all the time "Be careful and don't forget to cover the rear brake". I respond with "If you loop it, you won't have time to fart much less save it with the rear brake". A loop happens very quickly and the chances of catching it with the rear brake is like catching a fly with chop sticks, it ain't gonna happen!

Sorry about your get off. There is no shame in crashin! I've crashed so many times I actually invented ways to crash. Take a few days for the sore parts to calm down and climb back on. The toughtest part is not allowing the crash to torture your mind on the next run. However, the more you crash the easier it becomes to forget the crash and enjoy the thrill of accelleration.

Hey, I want an autographed photo since you are now famous among the bike crew! :thumbsup:

I can assure you there was no way to cover the rear brake. Not only because it happens so quickly but because I put my feet on drag pegs after I take off. On the bike I was borrowing he did not have drag pegs so I just tuck them up under the rear tail section.

As for crashing more to get used to it, I think I'll take a pass on that, I'll just go back to riding my own bike where I know how it behaves. Maybe I'll do a little better at paying attention to the signs...

PM me your address, never had a request for an autograph before. LOL

BTW I like the comment busawhipped made about not being exempt from group 2...

That sounded painful, that's why I don't like using someone elses bike. You never know what could happen. As far as crashing, it's true what Tuf said. The most recent crash makes you forget the one previous to it lol. Glad your ok, I bet it would good to know the bike opened up after 8krpms would have been nice knowledge before that happened.

That sounded painful, that's why I don't like using someone elses bike. You never know what could happen. As far as crashing, it's true what Tuf said. The most recent crash makes you forget the one previous to it lol. Glad your ok, I bet it would good to know the bike opened up after 8krpms would have been nice knowledge before that happened.

Because of the previous three passes I had neither one of us felt anymore exchange of information needed to be shared. Don solidly trusted my riding style just in the fact he has never let anyone else take the bike down the track. The fact of the matter is I needed more tnt time to see what it was capable of.

Paul,

First off.....All my best during your recovery bro. Nasty loop. Glad those Wal-Mart boots did well for you.

Not sure if you remember me. I am the Navy guy that put you in touch with your highschool friend down here in San Diego. We've talked about my future build....well, it's going to have to wait. I made a stupid mistake on July 30th and put her down at 120+. Grrrrrr.....I had just finished the new paint job. Safety gear worked well, so I'm still kickin. I promised my wife I wouldn't do anything until I was fully healed. Probably another 6-9 months for that.

HOOYAH!!!
Dan

Paul,

First off.....All my best during your recovery bro. Nasty loop. Glad those Wal-Mart boots did well for you.

Not sure if you remember me. I am the Navy guy that put you in touch with your highschool friend down here in San Diego. We've talked about my future build....well, it's going to have to wait. I made a stupid mistake on July 30th and put her down at 120+. Grrrrrr.....I had just finished the new paint job. Safety gear worked well, so I'm still kickin. I promised my wife I wouldn't do anything until I was fully healed. Probably another 6-9 months for that.

HOOYAH!!!
Dan

I remember you Dan. Sorry to hear about your accident. It sounds like getting the wife back on board is going to take some work before you get to do anything to your bike.

Good idea to heal first.

Take care and thanks for hooking me up with Hal.

Thanks Paul. I am the one that made the decision.....I am blessed; My Wife is good with me racing again, as long as I am 100% before I sling a leg over a saddle. She knows how passionate I am about riding/racing, and she just doesn't want me to resent her 'making' me stop.

Keep us up to speed on the knee. Hope your recovery is quick and complete brother!

HOOYAH!!!
Dan

I hope you realize I was just messin with you about covering the rear brake, that sh-itz don't work anyway. The worse thing about your crash was being on your friends bike. I have lots of guys ask me to ride their bike and see what I think of it and I do on very rare occasions but it's really rare for the same reason. I just don't want to chance a getoff on someone else's bike.

However, if you continue to ride hard your odds of never having another getoff is slim. I'm glad you came out of it with only minor bumps and bruises. If you are dressed properly and avoid impact objects crashes at any speed usually end without serious injuries.

I hope you realize I was just messin with you about covering the rear brake, that sh-itz don't work anyway. The worse thing about your crash was being on your friends bike. I have lots of guys ask me to ride their bike and see what I think of it and I do on very rare occasions but it's really rare for the same reason. I just don't want to chance a getoff on someone else's bike.
I actually appreciated your comment on covering the rear brake. I hear that alot from people and I do not think they realize just how little time you have to do anything in a flip over, let alone think about hitting the rear brake.

As for the other bike situation, that one is hard to swallow. In all honesty my will to get back on my feet is mostly driven just from the fact I want to get my friends bike put back together. He tells me not to worry about it, but in reality I will continue to until I put it back the way it was when he loaned it to me.

Dragbikes on a prepped track leave no room for error on launch...
Most accidents on a dragstrip either occur within the first 100FT or the shutdown over the finish line.

Ive been down the track many times over the 23 yrs of riding and have seen some serious accidents take place in front of my eyes.
Accidents seem to happen to new dragracers or in elminations of not wanting to let out knowing if you do you will loose.
I remember a very close situation as yours but the outcome was different.
It was in my 2nd year of dragracing motorcycles and I was racing a guy who I was tied with in points for first place. I was riding a SWB 90 Suzuki GSXR 750. Same thing came out of the hole and started to lift in first on me from a good hard launch sliding the clutch out it went into a 9oclock, 10oclock and 11oclock position this all happens so fast and my first reaction was to pull the clutch in, well it came down from a 11 oclock position pretty quickly slamming down on the front forks that were compressed from being tied down, to say the least the twins took a hard hit into the tank, gritted my teeth and got back in it, thankfully I treed him and the launch was a very good one which allowed me to take advantage of his slow reaction times. I won 300 bucks that day and spent that money on extending my swingarm.

Keep your 2 fingers over the clutch until you get out of the power wheelies this will lessen your chances of shutting the track down for cleanup.

Back