All of you guys using the 007Nick map,read this

I lean towards your stance on it frank, but I do see the other side.
The technology is here, did you check out the lambda sensor on the X1?
Telling you on the lcd screen the exact oxygen content at any RPM under any load.
And of course storing it for later evaluation.
Still we need the dyno to get it perfect, one with a brake, A/F meter and if your real lucky fans to simulate ram air. I think I'll make the trip to orlando to tune for my cams with nick.

Hheheeee......relative wind is not headwind.

Relative wind is just that, what is relative to the bike. If the bike is doing 190mph, then the bike is experiencing 190mph winds, if it was at a stand still.
As you climb through the speed curve, you increase relative wind. As you increase that, you increase ram air and pressure in the airbox, which creates a vairable that depends on speed. I know that you incoming air sensor is supposed to make whatever changes are necessary, but I dont believe it is accurate enough.
I dont know everything, but I do know this. Ive seen the exact same bike, tuned on the dyno actually pick up MPH after making changes that lost HP in the dyno room.
Same rider, same conditions.

just curious...out of all the posting i've read on this subject, nobody mentions anything about changing the timing table??? i know from tuning my race car motor on a brake dyno using dfi (similar to pc2), that there was significant torque and horsepower to be gained by changing the timing throughout the rpm range. am i missing something???

Frank, not being sarcastic, Im sure your knowledge of bike tuning is much greater than mine.
Its just that I feel that the dyno is not a wholly acurate picture of whats happening in the real world to the motorcycle, just an indication, a tool to point you in the right direction.
The dyno results I saw were from Kevin Blais' DJ250.

Do you mean that there is no difference in pressure from 140 mph to 190mph?

The way I see it is fully pressurized means maximum.

Anyway, noway to tell unless we can simulate the ramair anyhow. I can't do that so I can't speak of any facts.

pappabusa, you just hit on something that gained Me two more hp. I have been doing work with timing on My map. And I've seen a benifit!
I haven't talked about it because I haven't had the chance to try everything I want to try yet....

Your exactly right frank, thats why there's only a handful out there that can truly tune.
We all seem to be learning at a rapid pace though.
Seems like nick has his mind set on mastering it and I believe he will.
Here's the best example:
My engine builder told me today that when it comes to tuning I'm on my own.

Gixx1300, I believe you when you say that adding aftermarket exhaust could possibly make it run richer, I dont understand HOW it does though. I have a duplex, full box mod, I was using the yosh box and tried many different mappings, all the combos you can do and my bike felt like it ran the best with the lower settings, I couldn't believe it. When I would here everyone here talk about how much they richened their bikes but when I did it ran shitty. With the half box mod it dyno peaked at 5,5,0(DJ150). Thats when I ran my best MPH at the strip. After switching to the full box mod, and dynoing on a ED997a brake dyno, it required 0,+5,0 and the operator said it was still a little fat down low but it would be good for city(traffic)driving. He says that on some he has even had to go 0,+5,-5 to get the peak. I can't believe we have to lean them out but some do. Do you have any ideas why the FI requires leaning after modifications? Do you think I could pick up more HP by switching to the PCII? Also, what kind of power did those other bikes make with the other pipes you tested?

Hey Frank,picked up another 3 horsepower by adjusting the timing

Nick

[This message has been edited by Gixxer1300R (edited 07 August 2000).]

Nick, I'm glad My advice worked out for you.(timing)

I really wish I had more time then I did just to see how far the Timing advance was going pick it up.

I bet you about sh!t after you saw the gain from adding the Timing, I know Dennis & I did! (Wow...3hp!)

I only added 3 degrees in the 80% throttle and 5 degrees in the 100% throttle areas. I'm not sure if I could have gained anymore by adding it in the other areas??

OMEGA, same here.... My engine builder don't know his asss from a hole in the ground when it comes to tuning the pc2.
I'm sure he'll learn it though. He now has probably one of the nicest dyno rooms out there...

I'm headed down there to do some more dyno testing after the Prostar race.

I found that some ECUs have slight
variences even though it is the same year bike.Some Busas run richer than others from the factory.Throw in ignition timing,Cam degree and other variables and that is why some Busas have more horsepower than others.I removed my ECU and installed it on 2000 Busa.It gained 4.2 horsepower.The Yosh box is too limiting when trying to dial in the Fuel/Air ratio.I was the one who figured out PC2 maps came be sent via Email.So if you have a setup that is close to someone else's you can try their map.BIGABUSA-Bruce's Airbox should be fully modified to get the maximum horsepower.It's also possible to lose horsepower by installing a BMC or K&N filter.

Omega I've only just now been able to get the 42 tooth Tough Hardened aluminum that I wanted. It was mailed from Sprocket Specialties in California last Thursday ($61) and postman willing it will be in my bike later this week.

I'll let you know how it goes with the 16 front for me.

Whether or not you'll miss the top end is up to you. You'll only be able to do 175 mph with both sprockets in, but you'll be to do it more often than you do now because you will get up to that speed MUCH quicker.

Me...I haven't missed the top speeds since I put the 16 in. Frankly, I can't tell the difference from a seat-of-the-pants perspective. It still feels like warp speed to me.

Pete, you said Frankly. :)

Lofty, I don't think it's going to make much difference with the Busa going 190mph. The box "fully" pressurizes at or around 140mph.

<<I dont know everything, but I do know this. Ive seen the exact same bike, tuned on the dyno actually pick up MPH after making changes that lost HP in the dyno room.
Same rider, same conditions.>>

I don't know everything either, but what probably saw was a bike that gained torque over hp?
And you probably saw this on something similar to a D-J 150.

This discussion needs to be directed towards what we can do with todays technoligy.

I can tell you from experience that what worked in yesterdays stuff wont go over to well in the the Busa.

Heres one for ya...

I have the lowest compression in My motor out of all the Busa motors built by My engine builder and it has the most hp of all of them.

Overkill is not the way to go.

I was going to get to the timing at a later date but since you recommended it I gave it a try.I'll get some more runs in this weekend to try to get some more midrange torque.

Nick

Back