Alcohol Free Bar - Zero Proof Spirits

Recently read that they are opening up a zero proof bar in DC. A place where they will serve "mocktails" drinks without alcohol. I dont even know what to think of that. Paying about the same price as a alcoholic drink for some mixed juices just doesnt make any sense.

I've read it is more for the social aspect than the drinks...a place for people to go interact with other people...

I'm for that.

I've read it is more for the social aspect than the drinks...a place for people to go interact with other people...

I'm for that.
It's just as easy to socialize in a bar or lounge that does serve alcohol without having to drink. Just seems like an odd concept to me.

That is true.
Being a non-drinker I can see the attraction of going to a social gathering spot where some drunk isn't slobbering and hanging off everyone..

At one time young people could get together at church, a bowling alley or library or someplace similar...now that most of these places are either gone or not popular, they need somewhere to hang out without the negative effects of alcohol.

Being a non-drinker I can see the attraction of going to a social gathering spot where some drunk isn't slobbering and hanging off everyone..

At one time young people could get together at church, a bowling alley or library or someplace similar...now that most of these places are either gone or not popular, they need somewhere to hang out without the negative effects of alcohol.
I was just kind of puzzled by the whole mocktail only type bar. Where you can get a drink with zero proof alcohol but costs the same. From what I've read is that the zero proof spirit taste the same but without the mind altering effects.

I was just kind of puzzled by the whole mocktail only type bar. Where you can get a drink with zero proof alcohol but costs the same. From what I've read is that the zero proof spirit taste the same but without the mind altering effects.
If they can make caffeine free coffee, or near-beer, making alcohol free drinks should be simple

I suppose many others do as well.

I on the other hand always felt uncomfortable around drunk people as they can be very unpredictable.
I don’t like being around drunk people either for the same reason you mentioned. But most times, I’ll have one drink to make me more sociable.

If they can make caffeine free coffee, or near-beer, making alcohol free drinks should be simple
So would you say people drink it for the flavor? I think decaf is pointless as well. Same taste but no intended effect of the original product.

So would you say people drink it for the flavor? I think decaf is pointless as well. Same taste but no intended effect of the original product.
Honestly, I have no clue...I guess if someone is in the habit of drinking coffee, the feeling of a cup with coffee smell in their hands might be a comfort would be my guess

As someone who drank a LOT but no longer does, I have mixed feelings. I think a non alcohol bar would be more of a bit of a novelty. I don’t object to folk having a drink if they can moderate, I couldn’t. I still drink wines and beers that are 0% and yes, I do like the taste after many years of drinking.

Im not sure if a 0% bar would be good and remove some of the @&#* clowns who can’t handle a drink, or if it’d be full of boring folk who think they are superior. At least you’d know folk there didn’t go out just to get drunk !

I’m on day 5,596 dry.
Had to stop on July 4, 2007.

Not anti drink at all, if I could moderate I’d still have a few.
Wife drinks and so do most of the folk I know.

I don’t think I’d go to a 0% bar, it’s something that suits me but I don’t need to be surrounded by folk who only have that in common.

Mocktails?
Well that's nothing that a flask of Wild Turkey 101 can't fix.

I wonder if you get thrown out for sneaking in your own orange juice?
"Get the bouncers over here! We caught this Canadian with his own jug of Tropicana... !"

LOL

cheers
ken

Back